Author Topic: locked rear brake  (Read 2803 times)

Offline troy_s

• ST Legend
locked rear brake
« on: December 12, 2015, 11:11:41 AM »
Help!!!!

Just washed the bike and the rear brake has seized. Done nothing else since a longish uneventful ride yesterday.
 Any suggestions as to the cause and, hopefully a possible solution will be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Troy

Offline Abe

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • 4D Gang Member
Re: locked rear brake
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 01:06:16 PM »
What year is your bike Troy?

When was the brake pads and brake fluid last changed?
At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang

Offline troy_s

• ST Legend
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 07:58:46 AM »
Hi Abe
2006, brakes look fine and fluid not changed since i purchased ( this may be a sign that i have been a bit slack)

Thing is that i literally rolled the bike about 5 meters to outside the garage - didnt even start it, washed it, tried to put it back to discover the locked wheel. Since the first post it has unlocked itself after indeperssed the rear pedal a couple of times.

Happy to accept that it is a one off but dont really want to find out otherwise - particually at 110kph. The odd part for me is that it was only the rear brake that was affected given that both brakes opefate all the time to differing degrees.

Cheers
Troy

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 11:36:57 AM »
I'd be looking at possible issues with the secondary master cylinder which is located above the LH front calliper. It's a mechanical link so quite possible that the  master got stuck and didn't release pressure on the rear calliper. Maybe a bit of lube on the SMC link system might help.

Picture is of your brake system and will give you an idea of how it works. This is the ABS version but the basic 1300 works the same way but remove the modulators and ECU (???)

img_braking by Alan, on Flickr
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 02:09:45 PM by alans1100 »
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

The following users thanked this post: ST2UP

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 11:54:20 PM »
Hi guys,
I thought I make note of this here has I have just been experiencing a similar issue after replacing the rear brake pads.

I replaced the rear brake pads with new Metal Gear ones and after using the rear brake for the first time my rear wheel wasn't spinning freely anymore.

With the bike on the centre stand I could spin the wheel by hand however as soon as I let go it would stop almost instantly.

I took the bike for a run thinking that maybe I just needed to bed in the pads but when I got back the disc was sizzling hot and the issue remained.

I did a lot of reading and diagnostics before  I figured out the issue.

When I had replaced the standard Honda pads with Metal Gear pads I had reinstalled the metal plate that sits at the back of the standard Honda brake pads to the back of the new pads.

Anyway after removing this metal plate from back of both pads the brakes now operate normally, stopping the wheel from moving and then releasing allowing the wheel to spin freely.

So if you are doing a brake pad change DON'T reinstall the metal plates pictured below.

Cheers
Shiney

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 07:06:44 PM by Shiney »
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

The following users thanked this post: sirchilly, Bloodman, Jdbiker

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 10:25:06 AM »
The last time I replaced the pads on my 1100A and using OEM pads I had to leave those plates out due to lack of room which I knew to be wrong as they have gone in before.

Looking at the Calliper parts list I notice a hidden pin which should greased from time to time. Item 13 in the image. The rubber boot (item 15) I think helps prevent the grease from dying out which would cause the calliper to not slide so freely and maybe not allowing the calliper to open fully at a pad change.

My 1100 is coming off the road soon mainly to go over the brake system. I've been lucky so far as the callipers still have original seals and pistons (including the master cylinders) which I think is quite good for a bike nearing 20 years of age.

1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 06:58:55 PM »
Hi guys
 I realised I missed a VERY important piece of information
 ( that'll teach me for putting up a post when I'm half asleep)

After the install of the rear brakes (with the metal plates) the wheel was spinning freely until I applied the rear brake for the first time, after this is when the issue began.

My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 08:16:20 PM »
Hi guys
 I realised I missed a VERY important piece of information
 ( that'll teach me for putting up a post when I'm half asleep)

After the install of the rear brakes (with the metal plates) the wheel was spinning freely until I applied the rear brake for the first time, after this is when the issue began.

That points to what Allan said re the grading of the slides being the issue.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555