Honda ST1100 Section > Honda ST1100 General Questions

Checking and changing Valve Shims on an ST1100

(1/10) > >>

RubenCan:
hello People,

Don't know if this has been previously posted and if so, apologies in advance.
I just found this youtube film that details the process for checking and changing the shims.

ST1100 Valve Adjustment

Hope this is of help to someone, I'll be looking at doing this in the next 12 months.

regards

Ruben  :dred11

Brock:
A good video, also shows that you need to plan in advance so that you know what units you are working in

kappy5003:
I too have seen this video and just the other day thought I would check the valve clearance.

Ive taken my bike of the road for some well needed maintenance, fork oil change, carby sync and shims if needed.

Pulled a lot of tupper ware off  plus rocker cover, right side  and rotated crank to where exhaust cam at right spot, and thought I would start with 0.009in feeler  as that was the smallest I had.

Checked all exhaust on RH side and at 0.009 in felt just a tad loose, so I thinks maybe .010 in which is with in spec.

So return with newer feelers and see if thicker one will go in so try .012in goes in between cam and lifter same with 0.014 and 0.018.

I did notice the thicker feelers came out sorta rounded whereas the 0.009in retained its flat shape, is it possible to push a thicker gauge between the cam and lifter.

Any guidance would be grateful.

Cheers
Kappy

saaz:
The feeler guage should go in easily and not be forced in.  I haven't tried to force a bigger one in, bit it could be done I suppose, but it would take some effort.  Clearances are normally smaller over time rather than bigger, so on the bigger side is often better.

kappy5003:
saaz
Thanks for that, I'll have another play on the weekend now that I know about clearance getting smaller. My first try was on exhaust and 9thou went easily so I figured  maybe about 10 thou which is within spec.

When the thicker feeler went in I thought shit this can't be right.

Cheers
Kappy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version