No Parking Zone! > Hobbies outside of OzSTOC

Lets talk Camping

(1/4) > >>

ST2UP:
So before the first ST came in our world we considered camping with the family as one of our primary past times......now we will consider combining the old love with the new in the bike.

The plan that seams to be winning at the moment put subject to change is to go with a utility style trailer with quality and comfy hiking bedding and use a Oztent RV1, icebox, butane stove, Therma-rest mats, and our (L) & (R) -10 comfort rated bags.

Weight will be the obvious concern.......

So what do you do either on or of the bike ???

:beer

saaz:
On the bike camping..I raised the issue of camping using the car but got a rather negative response from the wife.....

On the bike..tent, sleeping bag, gear for cooking etc etc.  If moving day to day keep it simple and light, not too much in the way of mattresses etc.  If travelling with others with trailers etc, let them carry the gear I would not  :runyay

I did many years two up with camping gear for bike rallies on the old Suzuki, and seemed to survive quite well  :thumbs  The more space you have, the more junk you take.

alans1100:
The car is easier, Ford Territory, just lay the rear seat down and make up the bed in the back and then we have the luxuries like CD player/radio or watch a DVD on the laptop.

Bike and trailer means setting up the tent etc but cheaper than the car. We have two tents, smaller three man for me and a larger stand up tent if we both go (more privacy for Heather). Air bed, two sleeping bags, butane stove, eski and a couple chairs. Not to forget lights, clothing and food for a few days.

Everything in the trailer and the top case for at hand items we might need during the day (camera, phones, shower gear etc) and depending on the trip and time away I might add a 10 litre fuel container in each side case.

Sicman:
we are set up to camp either with gear on the bike or towing an Elite camper trailer. Our first test ride / tow with the camper trailer was to the Ulysses AGM 2 years ago at Mildura. We towed the trailer across the Hay plains and camped at Balranald. The trailer towed great behind the 1300. You didnt know it was there as we sat on a nice cruising speed.
The trailer is set p with 35l Waeco fridge and deep cycle battery which can last for 4 days. I also have a 5 watt solar panel I can plug in or hook it up to the mains power at powered sites. It will also charge off the bike as we move to the next spot.

It takes 2 mins to pull up for say overnight. Add 20mins if you want to throw out the front awning and set up the guy ropes for a longer stay. At $5k it was a great buy and really comfy ( Which helps get the pillion into it). We pack real lightly and have a system for keeping the trailer nicely balanced.
We also have self inflating mats, sleeping bags, 3 man tent if we camp off the bike without using the trailer.
We are keen to get out more with some other like minded campers  :thumb

Cheers
 :slvr13
( P.S mods we need a trailer emoticon  :wink1)

ST2UP:
We have come full circle with our camping set up....we started out with basic swags, progressed to a family tent, then on to a full Off-Road Camper with all the trimmings, Fridges, Toilets, Shower, Solar etc, when the bikes came back in our lives as the kids grew our camping needs changed somewhat.....we converted back to the "Less is More" style of camping.....still very warm,dry and comfy although.

So gone back to quality swags from Burke & Wills with therm-a-rest mats,  Oztent that only comes of the roof of the 4x4 if the weather is really poor and an awning of the vehicle, still fridges and solar but no set up time as all on board the vehicle.

But to truly be back to basics I need to convince Pockey that the same shovel you use for your constitutional hole can be used as a BBQ plate for a steak......we used too as teenagers traipsing about the country side.  :eek

Cheers

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version