Author Topic: Trickle Charger  (Read 3734 times)

Online Marcus

• Insert amusing quip here...
  • RTE Coordinator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • It says Stringo on my shirt
Trickle Charger
« on: November 19, 2012, 06:52:40 AM »
Hey guys, So after telling a guy I had to recharge my battery on the weekend after not riding for a long time.

He mentioned I should get a Trickle charger.

I know you guys have heard of them and what they do...

Are they any good?

Is it better then just charging up my flat battery?

And where can I get one?

Offline Abe

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • 4D Gang Member
Re: Trickle Charger
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 08:01:28 AM »
Hi Marcus,
I use one similar to this one.  Mine is 1 amp max.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Battery-Charger-Trickle-Charger-Motorcycle-Battery-Charger-/390388639721

I also use mine on the cars.

Cheers
Dave
At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 08:11:49 AM »
I use one of these, as it can do bikes as well as cars, and can be left on indefinitely.  http://www.ctekbatterychargers.com.au/ctek-mxs50.html

The smaller ones will work just fine if you don't need anything fancy. I also have a supercheap one that was on clearance, but it does not have all the extra features.

Just make sure that it can be left connected to the battrery indefinitely. The old style trickle chargers (I have one of those from the late 70s) just keeps on charging away regardless of whether the battery is fully charged or not.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline Whizz

• Paul. Ipswich, QLD.
    • Instrumented Control Solutions Pty Ltd
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 08:27:32 AM »
Marcus, A trickle charger is really only of use when you want to maintain the charge in your battery, but because of its limited output current it won't be much good at charging a flat battery, in fact most trickle chargers will current limit if you connect them to a flat battery and won't charge anything. Most trickle chargers are less that 1A output which will take a hell of a long time to charge up a flat battery, if they can charge it at all. If you are going away somewhere for a protracted period, or know you wont be using you bike for some while, then a trickle charger might be of use (although I would question the good sense in leaving it connected whilst you are away!), but if you want to charge your flat battery use a normal charger, then disconnect it once its done its job. Why bother with two different chargers, seems like an unnecessary expense to me.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 08:30:47 AM by Whizz »
Cheers,
Paul
:13Candy
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is!!
Red, 2004, ST 1300A

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 08:51:03 AM »
I have a small charger that will recharge, and then drop to a maintenance (trickle) charge. I use it left connected when I go to Thailand for an extended period. They work by just putting a tiny charge current into the battery, which stops sulphation (deadening) occurring. This is much better than allowing the battery to flatten and reharging.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Tackleberry

• QUEENSLANDER!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 12:29:17 PM »
I have the JayCar knock off of the one saaz put up: 

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MB3604

I have changed the end plug to be a male european cigarette lighter plug, and wired the female plug into the battery. 

Placed the female plug under the rear rack so I can plug in at any time I park up and charge the battery without removing plastics. 
Steve
Only the guy in the glass matters..... 
Ride on Davo it's your road now.

Offline Skip

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 08:01:40 PM »
I've had one for years. A 300mA trickle charger bought from my STealership for about $50. It came with a little insulated off-set plug that is permanently connected to the battery. I have it coming out just below the side panel so no need to remove any plastic to hook it up.
I originally bought it to help fire up a V twin as it was pretty hard on batteries.
Getting wind in my hair while I still have some.

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 08:51:44 PM »
Use a CTEK 800......set and forget, comes with a fly lead that attaches to the battery with 3 charge indicator lights, green > 13V, yellow > 12.5 V and red < 12.0 volts, about $99 on special.

Multi-stage Smart chargers have come along way compared to the "Automatic" chargers of many years ago that where supposed to turn off when they reached full(ish) charge....instead some use to boil the guts out of a battery at > 13.5 volts.

From playing with solar & deepcycle batteries over the last umpteen years camping, 4x4 touring the biggest favour you can do for a battery you wish to charge or maintain a charge in is to have some output from the battery most of the time, the radios, driving lights, and fridge (always on) in our Landcruiser are off the second battery plugged into a CTEK 7000 when not in use.....battery is now 9 years old living in a very cold climate.

Bike battery on my old ST1100 was 5 years old treated the same, still going strong.

Cheers

Chris
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 09:29:24 PM by ST2UP »
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline Malcolm6112

• Legendary Member
  • Armadale WA
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 09:13:53 PM »
I have a    AUTOMATIC 12V 900MA 2 STAGE BATTERY CHARGER

http://www.projecta.com.au/Products/BatteryChargers/ChargeNMaintain.aspx#!prettyPhoto

The fly lead is attached to the battery all the time. When you want to use it, plug in the wall socket and fly lead and turn on the power.

They're not too expensive either.

:blu13
Malcolm
2004  ST1300A

Farrider 518
IBA       58213