Author Topic: foot brake us - st1100 ABS TCS  (Read 1571 times)

Offline mikep

foot brake us - st1100 ABS TCS
« on: July 17, 2020, 06:29:39 PM »
i haven't got out on the bike for a while, health issues, but today i took it for a run.  Brake pedal depressed too far so i decided to bleed the system as per the manual. I thought things were not going well when oil was accumulating in the catch jar but the reservoir level was not going down. I eventually gave up when the pedal depressed fully with no resistance, pumping it made no difference..  The hand brake was fine. I'm confident of my technique for bleeding as i've done this sort of thing many times and in this instance, because its ABS, followed the manual carefully. I'm thinking the delay valve or  the proportional control valve are seized. I don't know anything about these valves or how they work. The manual has details for their removal, but i haven't  seen anything yet about their servicing.  I noticed after removing the side panel that there are wires going to the (i think) proportional valve - what are these for? Is it possible to service these valves? Should i just try to find replacements - they look expensive? Any advice, anyone?   :think1
1997 green ST1100 ABS
previously owned;
Honda CBX1000
BSA 650 Lightning

Offline mikep

Re: foot brake us - st1100 ABS TCS
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 11:37:44 AM »
I woke up at 7am with one of those duuhh moments.   :fp  During the night my sleeping brain had used more sense than my waking brain.  There's a big difference between reading the manual and READING the manual. Sometimes even the boring bits can remind you of something.  I'm embarassed to admit that the reservoir which puzzled me by not going down when i was pumping the footpedal was the front reservoir.  The rear reservoir was, of course, completely empty by the time i stopped. I've already slapped myself on the back of the head to save you  all the trouble. Those who read my post probably were scratching their heads. Sorry for wasting your time!  I console myself with the thought that I've now completely flushed out the brake system with fresh brake fluid...
Oh well, off for a test ride now.
cheers folks

:blk11
1997 green ST1100 ABS
previously owned;
Honda CBX1000
BSA 650 Lightning

The following users thanked this post: ruSTynutz

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 12:32:42 PM »
Yeah, the fact that the ABS bikes use both reservoirs can be confusing when the brain refuses to function...
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
    • "Destined to Drive" Driving School
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 02:02:54 PM »
Happens to the best of us, Mike!  :thumb

Unfortunately it happens WAY too often to me...  :fp :||||

2005 Honda ST1300A

Offline mikep

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 02:07:11 PM »
Well, i thought about excusing myself by using that,  but the fact is i was just a bit of a drongo when i did the job.  And the manual pictures (if i had looked properly) clearly show the rear reservoir.,  All good now though.  :thumb
1997 green ST1100 ABS
previously owned;
Honda CBX1000
BSA 650 Lightning

The following users thanked this post: ruSTynutz

Offline ST1100_GREG

• STarter
  • Tassie
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 11:40:05 AM »
All of this goes to prove Honda certainly know how to make a truly great motorcycle.
When does production start on 2021 ST1100?
:notholdingbreathe

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk