Author Topic: Stalling and ABS faults  (Read 2359 times)

Offline Trevsta83

Stalling and ABS faults
« on: September 17, 2014, 02:28:30 PM »
Hey guys,

Had a couple of issues with my bike recently. Firstly I have started it a couple of times and ended up having the ABS light flashing at me. If I turn the bike off and then try again it tends to go back to normal.

Also, I have been riding and come to a stop and selected neutral. When I have put it back into any gear it stalls. I can restart in neutral only. It is as if the stand is down. I fiddled with all the switches and put the stand up and down and eventually it came back to normal.

My bike is a Police pack if that makes any difference.

Any ideas where to start looking would be appreciated.

:wht13

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
Re: Stalling and ABS faults
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 02:38:06 PM »
Check the connection from the sidestand switch. Pull it out and reseat it, it may be not be connected properly ( its used to put a kill switch in as well some times. You can leave the bike idling, but it will die when put in gear and the clutch let out)
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Trevsta83

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 04:22:01 PM »
Thanks Brocky, Will go have a look

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 04:35:04 PM »
Hey guys,

Had a couple of issues with my bike recently. Firstly I have started it a couple of times and ended up having the ABS light flashing at me. If I turn the bike off and then try again it tends to go back to normal.

If the ABS light does as you have written then you should be ok. My 1100 manual suggests that if the ABS light doesn't go out after restarting then you have a fault. I've had the ABS warning light come on 2 or three times in the last three years but nothing in the last year.

The systems are similar in how they work and both the 1100A and 1300A store fault codes (code based on flashing light) and you will need access to the 1300 workshop manual (download from here http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=407.msg3166#msg3166 ) to work out what the codes mean.

Things to check are wheel sensors front and rear.... that they haven't moved, aren't damaged, the wiring is ok.
Tyre size can upset the ABS so it's best to use OEM.
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Trevsta83

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 02:50:50 PM »
Cheers Alan, much appreciated

Offline Trevsta83

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 01:49:18 PM »
So I have corrected both these problems now, thanks all for the advice.

Turns out the ABS fault was likely due to a build up of dirt around the sensor, it seems to have gotten into the gaps between the sensor and the housing/mount. Cleaned it all up front and rear and all seems to be good now.

The engine cut out was due to the isolator switch on the Police pack. The contacts were slightly out of alignment but was an easy fix in the end.

:wht13

Offline Abe

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • 4D Gang Member
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 03:47:43 PM »
Thanks for the update  :thumbs

Now you can do some riding
At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang