Author Topic: 2020-10-17 Sellicks Hill Ride To Eat  (Read 1376 times)

2020-10-17 Sellicks Hill Ride To Eat
« on: October 17, 2020, 05:29:56 PM »
Another enjoyable RTE done and dusted with great food and great company.  Thanks to all that attended.  Here are a couple of photos from that.  A ride report should go in the relevant subforum shortly.

Now to the ride.  Initial plans were I wasn't going to make this but be in Mudgee instead but we all know what happened since last year's national rally and interstate travel becoming hard.  Admittedly it's harder for others but the thought of applying for a cross border travel permits put me off.  I remember when it was only the Soviet Union that had internal visas.

My day saw me set off in daylight hours and not go via the GPO for a change.  The forecast said 5% chance of rain which usually means no rain and if it was does it is usually at 2:00am so I tad surprised to have to pull up in Yaroona and get out the wet gear.  Yaroona has locality signs but all the maps put it down as being Kangarilla.

Just around the corner from there (literally just around the corner) was an old petrol station with heaps of bicycles on it's roof.

Since I didn't get in the group photo at the RTE here's a selfie.  I was surprised to find Kuitpo coming under the City Of Onkaparinga umbrella.  I thought it would be Alexandrina District Council (shires as they are known in other states) or Mount Barker.

I rode a few new roads today as I zigzagged a bit.  One of them led me here to The Range.  I am guessing the tyres weren't put there by the council, and I know for a fact this one is Alexandrina.

I contemplated reserving this one for a "where is this?" photo but doubted these poles come under the iconic clause.  That said, I think I overlook that clause a lot in my posts in that thread.  I don't know what these poles are but, I thought they looked pretty cool.  For what it's worth, they were in Yundi.

Speaking of the "Where is This?" thread, the Carrickalinga lookout has had a makeover since Stinky Pete posted a picture of it in that game.  Carrickalinga is one of my favorite places, although I don't know why.  I've never stayed or eaten there.

I only discovered it by going to Myponga Reservoir and then seeing the road and thinking I wonder where that goes.  I do that a lot.  Today I traversed it in the reverse order and stopped at the reservoir afterwards.

I stopped at today's RTE venue and took a couple of photos before moving on to Aldinga for a coffee.

From there you get a good view of this monstrous house.  I'd only ever seen it from the other side and from a bus.  Someone mentioned it in the car park later.

I met Chris J for the first time at the Aldinga On The Run and thought that's an ST.  I was surpsied when I asked him if he was on the ST and his response was "you must be Bodø".  I then went to this lookout on Aldinga Beach.  They've created a new boardwalk which I think goes all the way to Sellicks Beach.  I must do that one day.

For something different I rode the bike along the Silver Sands beach.  It's a popular spot for people to drive onto on Australia Day.  I'd like to have got off the bike and taken a photo but was worried the stand would sink into the ground, so here's a shot from the ghost camera attached to the right pannier.

Then it was back to the Victory Hotel.  Richo was there when I arrived so it was good to see him on the road again.  The only bike I snapped arriving was Chris J, whom I had met in Aldinga 90 minutes earlier.

They had Guinness.  I'm only throwing this in there because one of coworkers (the Spence) will probably read this and be disappointed if there isn't a Guinness in there.  Well he was last time.   :Stirpot

The food was good too.

This was my course here.  I didn't run this coming home as I went straight down Main South Road/Southern Expressway.

The kwaka goes in for a service on monday with a few less klicks on the clock than anticipated after the Kangaroo Island fiasco earlier in the week.  Then it's back to KI on wednesday.  Hopefully the weather is as good as it was last monday.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 04:43:40 PM by Bodø »

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Wild Rose, Nigel, Jdbiker, Langers, ruSTynutz

Online Wild Rose

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Toowoomba, Qld
Re: 2020-10-17 Sellicks Hill Ride To Eat
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 07:47:40 PM »
Great write up and photos Bodo
Thanks for sharing  :like
Leo (Wild Rose)
Honda ST 1300
:rd13       :blk13                            :Spyder
 2002                            New 29-04-13 

Ulysses #49154
FarRider #243

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 08:33:02 AM »
It was a glorious day for a ride, so Chris and I met up with my friend Marcelo, who has been to a few RTEs, and we took the quick way to the Victory Hotel.   It's a lovely pub just north of the twisties that hug the hills heading towards Myponga, and we had the prime table near the front window with ocean views.  It was crowded, and I'm not sure if the Covid-19 requirements were being complied with.   :law  The food, conversation and company was great.
Thanks to the following who came along.....
John g
Bodo
Chris J (newbie on a pristine black ST1300, who could easily win the best bike at a NatRally)
Richo
Marcelo
Shillas and Sandra
Self and Chris

Marcelo, Chris and I took one of the many scenic routes home.
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Wild Rose, Jdbiker, ruSTynutz

Online Wild Rose

• Toowoomba, Qld
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 05:19:08 PM »
Great write up pete  :hatwave
Thanks for sharing  :like
Leo (Wild Rose)
Honda ST 1300
:rd13       :blk13                            :Spyder
 2002                            New 29-04-13 

Ulysses #49154
FarRider #243

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 06:01:03 AM »
I should mention that it was good to see Richo back on his ST again after some challenging mechanical issues.

Bodø

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2020, 07:01:21 PM »
It was a glorious day for a ride...

Just seen the Quorn/Willochra weather on the news.  I know you were heading out that way and hope you are safe.

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2020, 08:32:47 AM »
It was a glorious day for a ride...

Just seen the Quorn/Willochra weather on the news.  I know you were heading out that way and hope you are safe.
All is well thanks Bodo.  Thurs night in Quorn was stormy but when we left on Fri morning it had settled for a while.  Currently in Coffin Bay.  Ride report when we get home.

Bodø

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2020, 10:26:44 AM »
 :like