Author Topic: Which endch of the clutch hydraulics is gone?  (Read 1823 times)

Offline bolshie

• ST Legend
Which endch of the clutch hydraulics is gone?
« on: October 15, 2015, 06:31:44 PM »
Hi guys, I left for work this morning and my car started making disconcerting sounds under the bonnet. OK, something for me to deal with later! I turned around and went home, parked the car and climbed on the ST and went to work. Win! Not really. On the way home, the clutch began to drag, and by the time I got home there was nothing in the lever at all!
Plenty of fluid in the reservoir and when I pull the lever in, there's no change in the level at, no bubbles from the vent or any sign of the piston doing anything at all.
Is it fair to assume that the master cylinder is shot, or would I expect the worst - slave cylinder or the clutch itself?
Anybody give a clue as to the part most likely to fail in your experience?

Bike's been ultra reliable until now. Hasn't been a good day overall  :||||

Offline pault

• ST
Re: Which endch of the clutch hydraulics is gone?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 07:14:04 PM »
Bit funny for it to happen so quick,or is it just me. i have had 2 go over time. have you checked for leaks. have a look at the bottom of the slave cylinder there is a little vent hole there, if you see a smudge of oil then it is probably the seal there. or any oily smudges on the hose near guides. i had a hose leak which took forever to find.

Offline bolshie

• ST Legend
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 07:21:15 PM »
Thanks Pault. I'm not expecting it to be fun and I'm moving house in a couple of weeks, so it might have to go on the back burner for now. :(

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 07:45:00 PM »
By drag, I take it you mean the clutch wasnt disengaging fully...

It could be that a small amount of air has got in, (only takes a small amount) and you need to bleed the clutch. Its not a hard job, the most difficult bit is removing the bottom fairing to get at the slave cylinder
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA