Author Topic: And I thought I had it all worked out!!  (Read 2885 times)

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania
And I thought I had it all worked out!!
« on: October 17, 2011, 09:44:01 PM »
The blue Bagster (Bra) that I brought from Biggles arrived a week ago and I was looking forward to changing the colour of the leather from blue to black.............well I brought the Stripper, the black Raven Oil, and the Sealer. and was all set to go................and then it dawned on me, what if the bagster isn't genuine leather............it looks like leather, but could it be PVC (vinyl)??  So I looked up the Bagster website............ :o|||......I should have done it sooner!!.............It's PVC!!  :cuss

O'well, back to the drawing board..........it can still be done, but not with the products I have. I now have to pick up a vinyl dye, and it can't be wiped or brushed on, it needs to be sprayed on, which creates another problem. The Pan European wording is embroided in a grey cotton and I was hoping to retain the wording in that colour, but if I spray it I can't mask out the wording.......bugger!

I'm still  :think1

There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
Re: And I thought I had it all worked out!!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 10:36:38 PM »
I share that gene with you ol mate.

The same one that makes you buy something from Bunnings that you are CERTAIN is the right one.... only to have to take it straight back after a few profanities because it is wrong!      :o|||      :cuss

I feel your pain!         

At least your bike is the right starting colour to spray paint blue to match the cover if you want?!!      :crackup
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 08:28:37 AM »
Hmmm......................................

At least your bike is the right starting colour to spray paint blue to match the cover if you want?!!      :crackup
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 10:10:18 AM »
Biggles is great like that - he'll probably shout you and the fam to Disneyland for your troubles, and source the right colour tank cover to be waiting for you in your hotel room, next to the Chivas Regal!      :wink1
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 10:53:05 AM »
Yep............it's all his fault :spank

Perhaps a carton of Chivas Regal!  :crackup

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 10:27:24 PM »
Hey, I still think they're leather.  You mean they're not!!!???  Well it's a blinking good imitation, because even the cut edges look like leather, and for a vinyl they seem to last exceptionally well.  Also interested to learn the embroidery is grey and not dirty white.  I hope you didn't scrub it too hard before you found that out.  Presumably the manufacturer figured white cotton would soon be grey, so might as well start with that colour.

What's Chivas Regal and what brand of it do you prefer?  It's a type of chocolate, isn't it?  I'll try to find a block of it in the continent to the south of the Apple Isle and have it sent up to you.
   :rofl
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 03:13:40 PM »
Awww................thanks' Biggles, I'm overwelmed by your generosity :crazy but you might have better luck if you try a bottle shop.

And don't worry if you can't get Chivas Regal............"Dimple" will do :grin

Just as a matter of interest, I even checked with the Aust Distributor for Bagster, and they double checked with the manufacturer (Bagster), and it's definately vinyl......................it's a good copy though isn't it!!  :cuss

It reminds me of the first lounge suite I brought way back in 1964............it was what appeared to be white leather..........the sales man told me that the manufacturer was usually using deer hide, but the one I was interested in was actually doe hide, which was even better, as it was softer coming from the female deer rather than from the male............and I actually believed the prick! :crackup

Many years later, after it cracked it was easy to see it was vinyl :cuss.

You live and learn mate...........hey!

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 10:09:57 PM »
Apart from being a very good copy, they charge as much as if it was leather!  How are you going finding a vinyl dye?

Ya want dimples?  Mate, they look better on sheilas.   :grin  But you could try sucking your cheeks in.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline horizontal

• just a lost sock in the laundramat of life
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 05:08:11 AM »
A usa company called sem make a vynal paint that can be used on car seats etc. check out auto paint supply shops. ( not super cheap auto barn etc) if you have any trouble pm me as we sell it at my work. can be color matched pretty close.
                                                                                                      Cheers Greg
the older i get the better i was