Author Topic: sena question  (Read 2499 times)

Offline HunterTodd

• HunterTodd
sena question
« on: March 22, 2016, 07:29:18 AM »
Hi All
After resisting the urge to speak to others while riding i finally succumbed and purchased a pair of sena 20s headsets in preparation for the upcoming Qld trip with my lady.  Turned out to be an absolute hoot the first time we used them on the central coast Black dog one dayer.
However both of us ended up with sore ears where the speaker was pressing on them.

Is it kosher to carve out the foam padding to recess them in?

We had a lot of funny moments that day as we got used to them.  Hand talkers should probably be aware people can see you on a bike but dont necessarily know you are talking to someone. And it is probably not a good idea to talk to you partner at the servo while she is in the shop paying for fuel. I ended up having two perfectly synched conversations when a guy on the next bowsers  started answering questions about the price of fuel. Obviously thought because there was no one else standing there that i was talking to him. Some people just don't get technology.

The following users thanked this post: Marcus, Shiney

Offline Marcus

• Insert amusing quip here...
  • RTE Coordinator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • It says Stringo on my shirt
Re: sena question
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 08:30:54 AM »
What sort of Helmet do you have?

Online Brookester

• Brookester
  • ST Legend
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 08:34:35 AM »
I would not see an issue, maybe leave about 2-3mm of foam so the earpiece sits against it and not the hard shell. All of my Shoei, RJay and Arai helmets already have a recess in them and the speakers fit nicely.
One day you will wake up and there won't be anymore time to do the things you've always wanted so do them NOW!!!
Remember there are 7 days in a week and Someday isn't one of them!

Offline Gadget

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Just Ridin'
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 12:43:22 PM »
The best option is to ave a helmet with recesses specifically for the speakers. My Shoei neotec and the Nolan before that had recesses for speakers and weren't a problem.
Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Offline Old Steve

• Legendary Member
  • Social Touter
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 11:12:54 AM »
My RJays helmet has recesses for speakers, but you've got to remove the liner and attach the speakers virtually to the inside of the shell then put the liner back in.  You haven't attached the speakers to the inside of the liner have you?
At my age you realise something very important, then ten minutes later you've forgotten it.

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 11:36:12 AM »

Is it kosher to carve out the foam padding to recess them in?

I did it with my old Shoei X-Eleven, but the current range of Shoei helmets have speaker recesses in the foam already.   My reasoning is that if the manufacturer is prepared to do it, then it's probably OK for me to do it.
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)