Author Topic: Campmaster (generic) Butane Stove  (Read 3518 times)

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
Campmaster (generic) Butane Stove
« on: April 25, 2016, 12:42:57 AM »
While on our Robe RTE I inadvertently packed my much used and abused old non-working single burner butane stove which is quite possibly one of the ones that were recalled last year. I forget how long I've had it and during its useful life it had no issues and today it was consigned to the rubbish bin.

The stove of the same type but branded as Kmart was the one that should have been taken and must have been swapped at some stage and not realised until the time of need. We spent a few weeks looking for the stove which mysteriously seemed to have vanished; it was somewhere within the house but where?

With Andamooka ride fast approaching I needed another stove and a quick look at e-bay came up with the two burner version which would do us.  http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111907457041? Before I bought it we went down to the local hardware store and checked out the camping range. They had the Campmaster  (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Campmaster-Butane-Stove-Single-Burner-Brand-NEW-Super-Cheap-Auto-/191753114876?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368 ) and Primus (same stove) branded stoves in stock so $22 (On Special) later we had the cheaper Campmaster stove.

I checked the stove out today and it all works as it should so we can cook our food for the Saturday night.

What also came to light today was our missing stove. I repacked the trailer in readiness for Andamooka and said stove was buried under some gear in the back of the car so we now have two stoves for our Saturday nights cooking.

And we also have the BBQ plate (we bought for the stove I tossed in the bin) for the new stove.

1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline winston66

• Legendary Member
  • 1996 Yamaha Royal Star XVZ13, 2003 ST 1300,others
Re: Campmaster (generic) Butane Stove
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 05:53:26 PM »
Hi Allan,

This i just a thought, If you are interested in just something  compact and which is quick and easy for just a boil up or to heat up something simple, try Google , Penny stove,
I came across these a while ago and was quite intrigued with the simpleness and compactness of these easily constructed homemade devices,
I actually got around to knock one up out of a coke can and it worked quite well,
Apparently the are a favorite thing for walkers and hikers etc in the states.
Cheers ,
Winston66
winston66 Northampton
Ulysses #56870
Current Rides,
1996 Yamaha XVZ 1300 Royal Star,
2003 ST 1300 A (red)
Mazda Miata MX5 Turboed 14 sec.
2006 ST 1300 ABS Ex Police (white)
Honda CT 110 Postie, (Being rebuilt)

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 07:02:10 PM »
Thanks Winston but when I/we are on the road we prefer to cook our own meals and those little butane stoves are compact enough for us. I do have a couple of those compact single burner stoves similar to the image below but being as old as they are I don't think the gas cartridges are made anymore.

Offline gaz

• The dark knight! The vigilante! The caped-crusader!
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Then be The Batman
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 08:14:44 PM »
 :thumb
Taking over one emoticon at a time >:D

Offline cravenhaven

• Coomba Bay, NSW
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 01:14:53 PM »
Thanks Winston but when I/we are on the road we prefer to cook our own meals and those little butane stoves are compact enough for us. I do have a couple of those compact single burner stoves similar to the image below but being as old as they are I don't think the gas cartridges are made anymore.

Thats what I used on my recent Perth trip. The canister are easily obtainable at any camping store.

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 02:48:46 PM »

Thats what I used on my recent Perth trip. The canister are easily obtainable at any camping store.

The one on the left is my first little stove - bought sometime early 1980's; the cartridge can't be removed until empty. The one on the right was a freebie which was found beside a bin in a rest area up around Karratha in 2009: still has gas in it. Nothing wrong with these stoves but the gas cartridges are expensive compared to the 4 pack that I can buy for the Campbuster and other generic stoves of the same type

« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 02:31:44 PM by alans1100 »

Offline cravenhaven

• Coomba Bay, NSW
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 03:16:33 PM »

The one on the left is my first little stove - bought sometime early 1980's; the cartridge can't be removed until empty. The one on the right was a freebie which was found beside a bin in a rest area up around Karratha in 2009: still has gas in it. Nothing wrong with these stoves but the gas cartridges are expensive compared to the 4 pack that I can buy for the Campbuster and other generic stoves of the same type

[/quote]
Yes I agree, the price of those canisters is ridiculous compared to the long thin type but the small size makes them very attractive. My daughter has a dual fuel type that can either sit on the canister as above or use a liquid fuel such as meths in a piped-in canister.
I've never seen one like your old "non-removable" type cooker.

Offline STuzzilla

• ST Legend
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 12:48:14 PM »
I know this is an old post but here goes anyway.
if you want the best in stoves for camping and riding 30 yrs of bushing it has taught me this
1/ aldi does small burners that fit on generic butane cans awesome amount of heat and can fit a big frypan full of meat and cook to perfection. Ebay has some i have bought but from china but not as good.
2/ go to BCF they have a stand and can adaptor holder that it fits on and had feet to stabize it. ( less than $10)
3/ 3 bits of aluminium sheet with cable ties to make a windshield which will also make a rest for handle of frypan.
Less the can and shield this fits in your pocket! or fairing pockets!
This is by far the cheapest most kickass set up you can do and has no excess heat issues that makes the cook a toasted mess from exploding chinese stoves.
When i figure out how i will post some photos.
Life is too short to live without a bike, or too damn long.
RX125 (killed a 180B)
CBX550
Gpz750
ZZR600
Le Mans 3 (160,000km's of pleasure and pain)
K100RS
Current:
CJ750,SV650
and my new extra testicle 1998 ST1100 P