Author Topic: Windscreens,Heated Grips and Seat kits  (Read 6528 times)

Offline Mitch

• Legendary Member
  • Mitch
Windscreens,Heated Grips and Seat kits
« on: March 26, 2012, 02:10:26 PM »
             I've had a CalSci windscreen on the ST1300 for about 4000klm now and thought it was about time I wrote down my  impressions    :think1  The screen is the medium size about  1" wider at the top, 2" wider at bottom and 1.75" higher than the
stock screen.
            I like to ride looking over the screen so that I can see the road about 20 mts in front of me and I found, with the stock screen I was getting a lot of windnoise and a bit of buffeting with the screen positioned the way I like.  :fp The new screen has dropped the
windnoise and buffeting right down to a very acceptable level.   :thumbsup
            I haven't tried the screen in rain yet but I feel it will be better than the standard, because when riding with the screen all the way up it is like riding in a cone of silence.  :grin :grin :grin
            When I ordered the screen I also ordered a Heated Grip kit ($50). I have now fitted this kit in prep for my trip to Blackheath .
( I'm sure it will be used ) The kit was very easy to fit , the instructions were easy to follow and I connected it up to my Fuzebloc.
on a switched fuse. The grips draw about 3amps on High, there is also a Low and off position on the supplied switch.
             Not being very conversent in the black art of electricts I was delighted when the grips worked the way they were supposed to. These Grip heaters stick onto the bars under the grips, I removed the grips cleaned the bar ends down with some alcohol to remove the old glue stuck the heater elements on as per supplied instructions. To reapply the old grips I sprayed the inside of the
Grips with some of LOTO's  :-++ hairspray, pushed them back on and when the hairspray dried they were stuck solid.
Job Done, they work a treat, High is really hot and low is just right for over here in the Wests mild winters.  :hatwave
             CalSci also have seat heaters ($50 per seat) and a few other things, My dealings with them were Hassle Free and Shipping was promptly sent. A Mitch recomended supplier. http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/ST1300prod.html  :thumb :thumb :thumb
                                             :blk13
2016 KTM1290 Super Adventure
2018 HONDA NC750X

Offline winston66

• Legendary Member
  • 1996 Yamaha Royal Star XVZ13, 2003 ST 1300,others
Re: Windscreens,Heated Grips and Seat kits
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 08:17:40 PM »
Hi Mitch
saw your post re. windscreens
 Mine needs replacing.
But my ride does not have the electrically adjustable option
 I am Interested would you please supply further info as to regards the supplier , cost  etc.

Cheers ,
 Winston66, Northampton

:rd13 :hatwave :popcorn :think1 :think1
winston66 Northampton
Ulysses #56870
Current Rides,
1996 Yamaha XVZ 1300 Royal Star,
2003 ST 1300 A (red)
Mazda Miata MX5 Turboed 14 sec.
2006 ST 1300 ABS Ex Police (white)
Honda CT 110 Postie, (Being rebuilt)

Offline Mitch

• Legendary Member
  • Mitch
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 09:08:53 PM »
 Howdy Winston
                         The supplier is California Scientific, if you click the link at the bottom of my post it will take you to their site.  :wink1
   The cost was   1 Medium screen $185.00
                           1 Grip kit               $50.00
                           Postage                $62.97
                              Total                  $297.97
  All prices are US $ so it depends on the exchange rate what the cost is in Aust $.    :grin
  CalSci didn't use Paypal so had to use LOTO's  :-++ credit card (she won't let me have my own)  :||||
2018 HONDA NC750X

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 10:06:12 PM »
Just out of interest, why did you choose the medium screen and not the larger one?
Was it to save $15 or did you have a technical reason?
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Mitch

• Legendary Member
  • Mitch
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 10:18:59 PM »
 Biggles
             I didn't want to go much higher than stock, I just wanted a bit more width.
  I wanted to be able to drop the screen right down for airflow to my face and upper chest on the rare really hot days.  :whistle
2018 HONDA NC750X

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 10:28:50 PM »
Biggles
             I didn't want to go much higher than stock, I just wanted a bit more width.
  I wanted to be able to drop the screen right down for airflow to my face and upper chest on the rare really hot days.  :whistle

Thanks.  Sounds like a good screen if it reduces turbulence and noise as well as the back pressure.

For everyone's info- I guess y'all know the stock screen has two hole positions.  Most people use the lower ones, but you can get another 3" or so height by undoing the mount screws and moving the screen to the higher hole set.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

Offline winston66

• Legendary Member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 11:22:27 PM »
 :rd13 :|||| :think1 :hatwave

Thanks Biggles,
 I am new to the St1300, and I have not played with adjusting the screen height yet, it is set to the  screens lowest adjustment position. This was obvously the favoured position of the previous owner  it does not have the electric adjust.
 However I am a little perturbed at what I consider to be excessive noise, it does not appear to be engine noise as at speed , by pulling in the clutch and letting the engine revs die back the   volume does not abate, however a change in wind direction sometimes makes quite a difference, as does a change in the road surface.
 Is this a common thing .
 Has anyone got a comment,
 For instance , do you think that a larger , or higher screen will make a noticable lessening of the ambient noise level.

Cheer to all.
 Winston66, northampton

:rd13 :hatwave :runyay :think1 :beer

winston66 Northampton
Ulysses #56870
Current Rides,
2003 ST 1300 A (red)

Offline sac468

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 12:27:43 PM »

Thanks Biggles,
 I am new to the St1300, and I have not played with adjusting the screen height yet, it is set to the  screens lowest adjustment position. This was obvously the favoured position of the previous owner  it does not have the electric adjust.
 However I am a little perturbed at what I consider to be excessive noise, it does not appear to be engine noise as at speed , by pulling in the clutch and letting the engine revs die back the   volume does not abate, however a change in wind direction sometimes makes quite a difference, as does a change in the road surface.
 Is this a common thing .
 For instance , do you think that a larger , or higher screen will make a noticable lessening of the ambient noise level.

Cheer to all.
 Winston66, northampton

Winston,

I have an 04 st13, which I lowered the screen on the weekend, only because my screen has gone a horrible non see through opaque colour, all you need to raise or lower the screen is a phillips head screw driver and a 10mm socket.

firstly remove the black cover from the front of the screen along with the matching rear cover, this will allow access to the screen mounting bolts, which you may need to remove the screen completly as I did, I only had a spanner and could not reaach the lower adjusting bolt.

once you loosen the adjusting bolts it is just a matter of either raising or lowering the screen mounting brackets to suit.

then put the whole thing back together in the reverse order.

I have not ridden my bike since I adjusted the screen, so I can.t comment on the wind noise, as soon as I do I will let you know. :rd13
Shane
Ride to live, Live to Ride
Ulysses; 51798

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 06:44:46 PM »

Thanks Biggles,
 Is this a common thing .

Cheer to all.
 Winston66, northampton

One of the hardest things to determine is how much noise is being generated by your helmet, how much by the engine, road and windscreen.  I think helmets are a major contributor.
With my ST1300 screen right up (electric) it's very quiet.
Road noise is obviously related to the coarseness of the blue metal and the type of tyre.  Nothing to fix there.  I don't think there's much difference between our touring tyres.  Knobblies are another matter.
The engines mostly purr unless you are revving them beyond 4000.  They love around 3200 to 3400.

Offline Skip

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 07:06:03 PM »
Well I've learnt something. I didn't realise any 1300 didn't have the electric screen.
Getting wind in my hair while I still have some.

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 08:09:03 PM »
Well I've learnt something. I didn't realise any 1300 didn't have the electric screen.

only ABS versions had the electric screen.

as with the 1100, two models were available. The 1300 was discontinued leaving only the 1300A but I myself don't know when that happened..

Winston,

This may or may not be relevant to your 1300 but when I replaced my screen last year I did notice a difference. The standard 1100 screen was a little to short for me with the result being airflow over the screen hitting my helmet at eye level. The screen I now have is about 10cm taller and ther air flow now goes over the top of my helmet and also relieving strain on my neck muscles. At the same time I became aware of more engine noise. With the standard screen all I could hear was the wind on my helmet and very little engine noise.

1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 08:39:00 PM »
I have the standard screen on my 1300A which is adjustable, however I always ride with it at it's lowest setting, unless it begins to rain, in which case I'll raise it until I can just see over the top of it. I hate looking through the screen while riding. I also have a Laminar Lip fitted to the screen. I fitted the Lip with the thought that it would cut down on some of the wind noise, which I've never really felt was excessive, but just thought it would lessen it further. Well, I believe it did, but what I found was that I became more aware of engine, and particularly road noise, which made it obvious that the wind was creating more noise than I thought. I never wear ear plugs and never feel the need to do so. The road noise doesn't bother me and it lessens if I'm riding a smoother road, of which there aren't that many in Tassie. I'm quite happy with what I've got...........I never have a problem with buffeting other than the buffeting you get from travelling a little too close to a vehicle in front, and that's easy fixed, stay back a little or pass them.

Would I consider replacing my screen with a larger one??   :-(((  nooooooooooooo!!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 08:42:25 PM by Couch »
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 08:56:10 PM »
Heated Grips.........I fitted OEM Heated Grips to my bike, and with very limited use so far......they're fantastic!  :thumbsup

Yes, they're a little more expensive than some of the others available, and a little more work in fitting them to the bike, but I believe they're worth it. There are 4 heat settings and I'm doubtful that I'll ever need more than the first two, unless I'm riding in zero degrees, then I just might use the 3rd setting. The controls are set very neatly into the left side fairing, just below the pocket.

I'll take a pic tomorrow and post it for all to see!  :)  no more cold paws for this little tazzie devil!  :grin
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Offline Skip

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 09:10:59 PM »
Good thing we're all different I say. If it's not too hot, which it often is up here in Qld, I love having the screen fully up, flick up the visor and just relax. However I don't like looking through the screen in the twisty bits, but on the more open roads I love the peace and quiet behind the screen. I've never had an issue with road or engine noise when the screen is fully up. If and when I feel the need to replace my screen, I would be looking at the one Barry had on his, one from the UK. It's a bit wider and has a bit of a kick forward at the top. That's one of the great things about the 1300A. The electric screen. 
My 2 bobs worth.
Getting wind in my hair while I still have some.

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 10:12:56 PM »
Hey Skip............maybe the roads you're travelling on are a little more smooth than many of ours. I do notice the difference if I ride a smooth road............much quieter!!  Being an ex banana bender I know how hot it can get up there, but I would rather ride without any screen in the heat, and pick up as much air as possible.......as you say mate, "good thing we're all different".

Good thing we're all different I say. If it's not too hot, which it often is up here in Qld, I love having the screen fully up, flick up the visor and just relax. However I don't like looking through the screen in the twisty bits, but on the more open roads I love the peace and quiet behind the screen. I've never had an issue with road or engine noise when the screen is fully up. If and when I feel the need to replace my screen, I would be looking at the one Barry had on his, one from the UK. It's a bit wider and has a bit of a kick forward at the top. That's one of the great things about the 1300A. The electric screen. 
My 2 bobs worth.

Offline winston66

• Legendary Member
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2012, 11:15:05 AM »
 :rd13 :thumbs :hatwave :runyay :think1

Winston66.
 Hello everybody.  Well my new screen arrived today.
 Incidently thank you all for your comments.
 I opted for the National Cycles (American) V stream Quantum  $189.95 plus $51.87 for freight  Their material and building spec was I felt much superior to the other suppliers. Only Three weeks from ordering from the USA.
 It is a big screen but I am interested in maximum comfort as I am gearing up for a long ride in a couple of months  .
A possible circumnavigation if I am fit enough.
I will make a decision after I get to Darwin possibly some time in July,
 Will be trying it out today ,it only took a few minutes to fit .
 Incidently Shannons have agreed to reimbursement 100% of the cost under their One screen  per year replacement policy at no extra  charge .
 Also have a new helmet . and have a radio intercom set on the way.
Dont know who I will be able to talk to though,
Oh my new Honda Racing Boots have just arrived $65.00 with free postage from china size 44 or american 11 the seem to be a perfect fit .And very comfortable.
 Some other stuff is on the way also. Will post further comments later.
Cheers to all.
 Winston66. Northampton Western Aust.

:rd13 :runyay :beer :think1
winston66 Northampton
Ulysses #56870
Current Rides,
2003 ST 1300 A (red)

Offline winston66

• Legendary Member
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2012, 07:03:18 PM »
 :rd13 :thumbs :hatwave :runyay :think1

Winston66,
 Well its 4.45 Pm and I have just got back from a quick blast around the block, about 5 klms.
 I just had to go out caus I have Just spent the last 3 hours fitting my new Kumo  205-50-17 tyre to the ride,
 I must say that I am very favourably impressed , at 40 lbs it felt very positive and comfortable however tomrrow I will drop the pressure back to about 30 and go for a much longer spin, I guess that it will take some time to realy get the feel of it.
 I have also put on the new screen (National Cycles, V Stream) and during that short ride the bike seemed much quieter, almost as if it was a new, different and better ride, so fingers crossed there is some justification in having a play.
 Oh incidently the reason for the Kumo , and all this extra stuff .is that I have just finished the trailer build and its all aimed on that long ride and holiday that is comming up.
 Will be some photos in the next few days.

Cheers
Winston 66, Northampton West Aus.

:hatwave :rd13 :thumbs :runyay :beer
winston66 Northampton
Ulysses #56870
Current Rides,
2003 ST 1300 A (red)

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2012, 10:18:56 PM »
Wow!  30 psi is a big drop from 40 psi!!  Most of us play with 38 to 42 psi.  I haven't done the conversion for a while, but I use 290 kpa front and back on the ST1300 and it seems pretty right to me.  I get about what most others get by way of mileage out of the treads.

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2012, 10:46:49 PM »
I keep mine on 42psi :thumbsup......and I've never felt a need to vary the pressure :).

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2012, 07:58:47 AM »
The Kumo is a car tyre, so pressures will vary a bit from motorcycle tyres.  Too much pressure and the radial sidewalls will not work properly.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline STeveo

• ST Legend
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2012, 06:20:56 PM »
Have today fitted my new screen from Screens for Bikes (after my little off). I ordered the new one 50mm higher and 50mm wider each side and the difference over the standard 1100 one is very noticeable. Exhaust and engine noise is a tad more, but the depletion of the wind noise is the greatest asset. No worse at 160 than 100, and a lot less strain on my neck. A good investment at $216 delivered Tamworth, and only a week from ordering. Sent paperwork to Shannons this afternoon.  :)
 :bl11