Author Topic: Fuel tank gasket leak - ST11  (Read 1098 times)

Offline Abe

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • 4D Gang Member
Fuel tank gasket leak - ST11
« on: October 30, 2012, 05:02:23 PM »
Well, Not happy Jan, to say the least, so I thought I come inside, grab a cold beer and vent. 
Situation, bike leaking fuel (when full, and yes I'm waiting for the comebacks from that statement) from the gasket that seals the pump into the tank, under the seat.  New seal ordered and delivered, great, torque wrench in hand and set to half the torque, proceeded to torque the first nut and then snap, seared the bolt, deep breath, second bolt, snap, so hence I'm typing to you now to vent, so thanks, I'm better now, thank you.

New tank $450 plus shipping etc.

Old tank out, fill with water, grind retainer off, new bolts (all) weld back together, HBS treatment/sealer ($65), experience priceless.  Then bring on Middleton.

No replies required, just wanted to vent, thank you.

Cheers
Dave (getting second beer)
Vega
At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
Re: Fuel tank gasket leak - ST11
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 05:51:44 PM »
Dont forget to drain the water, give the tank a flush with metho, now ride to servo and refuel.

Oh, wait, no fuel   :|||| :||||
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline hobs

• ST Legend
Re: Fuel tank gasket leak - ST11
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 06:11:24 PM »
Wouldn't it be great if you could buy fuel concentrate, like cordial. Put in a litre of fuel concentrate and top up with water. Just carry a couple of bottles in the saddle bag and top up when required. You could ride forever. just a wild out-there idea.