Author Topic: Meet the OzSTOC Members...  (Read 30301 times)

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
Meet the OzSTOC Members...
« on: September 09, 2011, 12:11:22 AM »

Mrs Diesel.....

Well, I dunno WHY I'm called Diesel - must smell like a truckie!   :P

Okay Okay! I ignored THIS warning once!

C'mon - if YOU haven't done it - you KNOW of someone who has! Darndest thing though - I was the ride leader for 13 STs that day and the bike would not start (after smoking out the carpark of the meeting point) - so I had to wave everyone away and suck up a $300 towing and flushing out bill! I GUARANTEE you - lesson has been learnt!

1st bike I bought for a case of beer. It was an IT265 which we affectionately called "Chainsaw" coz the forks and frame were that bent - you could seldom ride it for more that 8 seconds before being turfed off with the scrub turkeys.

Then came the 900 Bol d'or which I loved, a GPz900R which I babysat for a while and loved, a CB750 for commuting to Brissie, and now the ST13 - easily my fav!

I was born in Cottesloe, Sandgroper land, lived in Tassie (where I met my sister) oops - just kiddin! Moved to Canberra for a couple of decades and a bit, and have been living in the beautiful Sunshine State for 15 years and LOVE it!

I am a prepress manager (which is the computer artwork stage before the printing press) on Bribie Island.

I was going to buy a XX 'Bird for this bike, and had a few picked out to look at when I was inspired to consider endurance/distance riding to see a lot more of this fab country, so I found that the ST was a much better weapon for that purpose. (Ain't it so?)

Then I just put out a couple of emails around some forums (as I had not seen any STs on the roads up here since the cops stopped using the 1100) and, well, haven't you all come out of the woodwork! Now I enjoy the ST, riding with like-minded warriors, and even chatting with the same of this wonderful new forum. I guess I'd have to say that all is 'tickety boo'.

Thanks to you all who help make this a great place to be.

Cheers, Diesel
--
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 07:46:06 AM by Diesel »
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
Re: Graham and His Other Lady
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 05:28:59 PM »
this is my 1996 Black Honda ST1100, i am slowly adding farkles and extras as i can afford it (or the minister of war and finance lets me)

Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

MickM

Re: Diesel and Stella Treacherous.....
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 09:32:13 PM »
This is my ride...

I'm Mick and Tracee is the Mrs... This was taken on our first ride after I got my full open licence last May.  Only a beginner.

Also I don't own a Honda, instead it's a Yamaha V-Star 650 Cruiser...

Offline Marcus

• Insert amusing quip here...
  • RTE Coordinator
  • It says Stringo on my shirt
Re: Meet the OzSTOC Members...
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 07:55:57 AM »
G'day. I live in Maryborough (about 170k's north of Melbourne).
I'm 37 and married. No Kids (not going down that long scary road)
I started as a apprentice Graphic Reproducer completing my trade and working in the book Printing industry for 8 years before moving onto becoming a shareholder/partner (1 of 4) in a Typesetting Business (http://www.midlandtypesetters.com.au) servicing all the Major Book Publishers in Australia. We Focus on books ranging from Novels to University text books.

We also create eBooks for iPad, Kindle and many other reading devices. I have around 25 people working for me. Hence why I get to sit on forums all day. I do ALOT of research into new technologies and ways to implement them, as it is a constant fight to keep work in Australia and fight off competition coming out of India.

For all you people asking what a Typesetter does. Here is a video I found showing just a little of what I do.

Edit...yes I know...for what I do for a job I should be a better speller... Well. I never care enough to proofread anything I type on forums, so you'll have to live with deciphering my dribble...

I recently bought a black 2010 ST1300 with 0k's.
I've been riding on and off since I was little, but only recently got my road license.
I went from a Virago 250,

straight to the 1300,

and haven't looked back. I've fallen completely in love with it.

Rodd

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 09:34:47 AM »
I also live in Maryborough, but the one that's 280k's north of Brisbane!
I'm married and have three kids (2 girls and a lad).

I have owned a few bikes over the years and my first vehicle was a Yamaha DT175b road trail. Over the years I have stuck with road/trail bikes including a new 1982 Suzuki DR250, and a used mid eighties Honda XL250. Later I owned a nice little Yamaha 125 road bike (with panniers!), and then a 1997 Suzuki DR250. After watching the 'Long way round' videos I decided that I liked the idea of touring on a bike. I didn't know if I would like it so went for a reliable shaft drive Honda. I managed to get hold of a 1981 Honda CX500 shadow and a Honda CX500 custom (parts bike) for $1200. It didn't take much to revive the Shadow and I commuted to work on it and it never missed a beat even tho it had had a hard life. I ended up selling the Shadow for $1000 after I bought my 1983 Honda GL500 Silverwing Interstate. The Silverwings were never sold in Australia, and this one was imported from the US and converted to a CX650e engine. I bought it for $700 partly restored. I (mostly) finished rebuilding it and got it registered. The CX engined bikes are a great reliable bike and have a great sound and feel to them. The only problem is getting hold of good spare parts.

This is a photo of my Silverwing and I was just about to head off on my first solo long distance ride! LOVED IT!

Once I realised that bike touring was for me I decided that I wanted something that was known to be reliable and have a good parts supply.
After scanning the internet I found what the rest of you already know.. the ST suits the bill (and is shaft drive).
I was very lucky and got my hands on a 1998 Honda ST1100 (black) with 45000k's on the clock and one owner.
It has the original books and tools. I refer to it as the 'Black Mariah'!

This is a photo of the first trip on my ST with my wife Lisa.
I'm happy to say that my wife also enjoys touring on the ST.
Since this photo was taken I have fitted mirror wind deflectors and fairing wind deflectors, as well as a towbar.
I have also recently fitted new Bridgestone BT023 tyres and new brake pads.

I will be fitting LED flood lights, 12v outlet, and aim to fit a replacement/remade seat and better handlebar attachments (to improve the seating position).

I look forward to getting out there and having a ride with fellow ST riders!

Rodd
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 09:38:17 AM by Rodd »

Offline innet57

• ST Freak
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 07:57:27 PM »
this is my 1996 Black Honda ST1100, i am slowly adding farkles and extras as i can afford it (or the minister of war and finance lets me)

Mrs Diesel, (AKA The Mister of war and finance), must have been a child bride. It's no wonder she calls the shots!
Wayne Tenni
If this is as good as it gets .... it ain't too bad.

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 08:13:33 PM »

Mrs Diesel, (AKA The Mister of war and finance), must have been a child bride. It's no wonder she calls the shots!

well this is MRS Streak Below......if it was Mrs Diesel, i think Mr Diesel would be not so happy lol...

Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 09:27:30 PM »
I don't have a clever ST_Name for her; she's Ruby.  She's my third ST.  After 42,268 km on a 2000 ex-Police ST1100 and 26,890 on a 2004 ST1300, I needed to complete the Tri-color and have put 6483 km on Ruby since May.
I'm a "returned rider" after 14 years away from it, but it's not my first Honda, having rebuilt a Postie bike and commuted on it for a couple of years... but that was another country and another time...

You get to associate a certain kind of person with a type of bike (some HD stereotypes, Squids on Gixxers etc), and my experience has been that nice guys ride STs.    [group hug   :-*]

We've certainly had some good rides together and the general tenor on the Forum has been quite different to some squabble patches I've encountered elsewhere.

Looking forward to keeping it that way in this nice new format.

Ready to go, master... what have you forgotten this time?
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 09:40:38 PM »

well this is MRS Streak Below......if it was Mrs Diesel, i think Mr Diesel would be not so happy lol...

Ha! I've tasted Mrs Streak's cookin - trust me Diesel IS impressed!

Slap him for us would you Teela?  Cheers    :P
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline Nick

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 10:00:24 PM »
G'day,
I live in Engadine, 32yo, married with 2 little girls and another on the way. I am an Intensive Care nurse working in a major Sydney trauma hospital. I ride a 2002 ST1100 and love it. Always looking for new adventures.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 07:49:15 AM by Nick »

Rodd

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 11:10:08 PM »
Biggles: you do realise that a ruby is a precious STone?

And that's the name of a cult biker movie!

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 02:58:46 PM »
Nice bike Jinxy...............I did the same as you..............brought myself a 2006 V-Star 1100 when I was living in Brisbane, which I did enjoy riding.....but then I had a ride on a ST1100 which I really liked.............so finished up buying a 1300 which I love!

PS: I have a good mate in Brisbane who's wife is also with Qld Forensics............she lives at Dayboro.
Also, one of our Tasmanian forum members, Kev, is with the Forensic branch here in Tassie. Kev's on a bike ride to WA at the moment!
Anyway Jinxy..............nice looking bike mate!  ;)
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Offline Barry and Marissa

• ST Legend
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 05:20:38 PM »
Hi folks.
We're Barry and Marissa and live in Brisbane. My riding started out at 17 when I first got my L's and registered my Yamaha DT 175 trail bike. From there I progressed to an old silver tank XL 25 Honda and after that my first road bike, a CB 250RS (the only new bike I've ever brought). The CB 250 got me through my P plate stage and then I brought a Z650B Kawasaki. Since then I've had mainly touring style bikes including a GS1000S Suzuki, GS1100GK Suzuki, ST1100 Honda, K1200LT BMW, ST1300 Honda and my current ride another K1200LT.

My partner Marissa loves to ride as much as I do and we have enjoyed some great rides together and met some wonderful people along the way. I ride as often as I can with my local Redlands Ulysses branch, but family commitments tend to restrict me from riding as often as I'd like.

I have two kids, my eldest son has just got his bike "P" plates and recently brought himself a little ZZ-R250 Kawasaki. This has planted the seed in Marissa's mind of getting her bike licence too, and my daughter is also keen as mustard to get her bike licence when she becomes eligable in 12 months time.

Here's a pic of Marissa and my two kids Brendan and Cassandra doing a Q ride course.

Marissa looks fearful of the power of her bike!!  ;)

Here's our current ST1300 with a few BMW Farkles fitted and Marissa wanting to have a go at the controls.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 05:29:35 PM by Barry and Marissa »
Barry and Marissa :) :)

Barry 2012 VFR800 Red.
Marissa 2011 VFR800 Red.

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 07:04:01 PM »
Hi all

I waited until the new forum to post anything about me :)

Dad had a sloper BSA 350 single as a youg bloke. Upgraded to a Panther sloper single, then added a sidecar when he got married to mum.  So there are bikes in the family...

I have been riding road bikes since 1976.  First bike was a Honda CD175 parallel twin.  One of my sisters bought it new, my older brother bought it off her, and I bought it off him for $100.  I rode it from Victoria to Canberra in 1977 to go to University - 900kms on a 4 speed 175 along the old Hume Highway.  It was an adventure alright!

In Canberra I upgraded to a Suzuki GT750K waterbottle.  Three cylinder two stroke water cooled.  Wonderful sound, dodgy handling but it was the first model with disc brakes - unfortunately I did not have the option where they worked when it rained!  No engine braking, no brakes...  I fitted a full sport touring fairing to it after a very very cold trip back to Victoria.  Had heated grips, spotlight, upgraded headlight...sounds like what I have now but with a chain drive..hmmm.

In 1980 upgraded to a 1978 GS1000.  Changed all the gear over from the Suzuki.  Went everywhere on it, did it much easier than the Suzuki GT, but I stll miss that 3 cylinder...  had the rebuild the motor at 80,000kms, still have it next the the new bike...it will be back on the road sometimes just a matter of when...

In 2004 bought the 1996 police model ST1100.  The GS1000 had some aged related electrical problesm and was getting to me, so I did some reserach.  Found out I should have bought an ST11000 years ago as it ticked every requirement I had.  Reliable like a car, big tank and range, comfortable, full weather protection, shaft, solid handling...I must have not been following what was going on in the bike world.  I have only done 90,000kms since I bought it but up to 151,000kms - just the same as the GS1000 but with far less drama.

I don't think I have washed the bike since this, but I have changed the screen

« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 06:00:04 PM by saaz »
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline innet57

• ST Freak
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 09:18:02 PM »

Neither would Mrs Streak! Sorry, went one Post too far down - have to watch that. LOL
Wayne Tenni
If this is as good as it gets .... it ain't too bad.

John Meara

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2011, 06:41:45 PM »
An ST fan for about 10 years, I am vertically challenged and couldn't quite take up the 1100, so when word came out that mother Honda was to release the 1300, I immediately started doing serious homework.  I joined 4 US-based ST Forums, all as "John-DownUnder": ST1300.US (originally an old MSN site), ST-Riders (which became commercial and eventually disappeared), My-MC Touring, then ST-Owners (+ OxSTOC on Yahoo here in Oz).  All great sources of info and together learning lots about how to get the best out of our STs and accessories.   I still post to ST-Owners.com (great site) and occasionally to ST1300.US.com.

In 2002 Honda MPE only brought in the base model 1300 and so I wrote to Stuart Strickland and complained, but it was to no avail and all about our disastrous exchange rate with the Yen and comparative values.  So I waited another year and had my order placed for the first ST1300 Pro Honda could get here.  In October 2003, I took delivery and since then have had some ups and downs.  I progressively added lots of lovely farkles, some I wouldn't do again.  I travelled 127,000 km on her, including 26,000km around Europe in 2007 where we attended the annual European Pan Gathering in Austria, before selling a few months ago.  I've picked up a mate's 2008 ST1300 with only 20,000km on the clock.  In another thread I tell of the current farklemania that is consuming me at present with this new ST.

Catherine and me on the silver ST13:

At Boscastle in Cornwall, UK 2007:

A short-lived period when I owned 2 ST1300s:

Based in Brisbane, but having spent many years in north QLD, I am married to my childhood sweetheart and pillion-in-a-million, Catherine.  I learnt to ride on an RD350B and Catherine was my pillion when I purchased my first bike (a Honda 500/4) in 1975.

I cannot be blamed for the mods on this one - I bought it as is: 4-into-1s, gold painted frame, clip-ons, Triumph headlight, blacked-out engine and extra covers....

I've owned/ridden the following:

From the late 70's, I joined the Qld 4-Owners club and in early 80's the MRA.  We rode to the Easter races at Bathurst on many occasions, the Castrol 6-hour and did the Canberra 10,000 protest ride in 1980 (over a long weekend, there-&-back on an RD350B; no local Iron-butt back then).  I've done quite a few advanced rider training courses, beginning with Stay Upright when they first started back in the early 80s.  I've been lucky not to have any prangs whilst riding (although a couple of small very low speed incidents - touch wood). 

I am also quite involved in motorcycle safety, acting as QLD rep for the Ulysses Club's Road Safety Committee, representing the Club on Transport & Main Roads' Qld Motorcycle Safety Advisory Group, and on TMR's Qld Road Safety Advisory Group as the motorcycling rep.  Check out the Facebook page I set up called "Motorcycle safety in Australia": https://www.facebook.com/pages/Motorcycle-safety-in-Australia/150079321697276   I am a member of the MRAQ and would encourage all riders to join their state's MRA (or similar) to support those organisations trying to advance rider issues for us.

Cheers
John

« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 10:49:07 PM by John Meara »

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2011, 07:19:40 PM »
I was a member of the Canberra 4 owners also.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Rodd

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2011, 08:19:27 PM »
Great photos! And everyone looks relaxed and happy!

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2011, 09:09:03 PM »
Nice pics John................just wondering what type of seat that is on the red ST?
It's obviously lower than the standard seat..............I would love to be a little lower to the ground as I'm also slightly vertically challenged at 1700mm (5'7"). I'm ok moving the bike around on solid ground but more than a little uneasy on loose gravel.
I recently fitted a good quality sheepskin seat cover, which is great, but it put me up just that little bit higher  :-\
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

terrydj

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2011, 10:05:31 PM »
This is me before the sex change and Jenny Craig. Not going to show you the new me, so you'll just have to keep guessing
But I will give you a hint. I ride a Honda and no longer wear a G Banger

Rodd

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2011, 10:18:05 PM »
I don't want my eyes no more!!

Jinxy

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2011, 09:35:19 AM »
Hey all,

I do know some of you from rides I've been on and am pleased to meet the newbies.

They call me Jinxy. (Just because, no real reason "cough") I am 50 years old and a Forensic Crime Scene Officer with Qld Police. Been in the job since 1983 and love it. Had a few bikes and then after a fair time off bikes I brought a V-Star 1100 (2007) but did not really like the way it was on the crap roads we have in Qld so after riding a mates ST1100 I bought a ST1300 which I absolutely love. It is fairly distinctive with it's orange blazing and number 13 Pool ball logo. Well thats about it. I have averaged about 300 kilometres a week since I got the bike and have done 6 or 7 overnighters. Would not trade it for the world and am always hankering to ride it. If anybody comes up Bundy way let me know and I am more than happy to show you round. I have posted an attachment (Click to enlarge picture) showing before (at the top) and after the bling was put on (and yes I do make STella look like a scooter.)

I have just worked out how to put the large pic in so that is there as well now.

Having fun posting pics so here is one of a not too recent ride. I think this may be the one where Diesel got his nickname.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 10:31:12 AM by Jinxy »

Offline Sicman

• RTE Coordinator
  • Was here when the lights got turned on :-)
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2011, 01:10:51 PM »
The wife & I took up riding in 2009 as the drought around West Wyalong meant
 boating was out. I started on a Honda Vt400, She a Suzuki 250 Intruder.
In 2010, after we both got our licence's, Boss Dearest decided to just pillion
and the decision was made to move up to a comfortable, but sporty tourer.
We bought a 2008 ST1300 with zero kms from Griffith Motorcycle Centre.
With over 5000kms under the belt we are really enjoying getting amongst it all
and meeting some great friends.

Employers - NSW Ambulance Paramedic and NSW Fire & Rescue Retained Fire Fighter
 at West Wyalong, & Regional Paramedic Volunteer for St John Ambulance
NSW Southern Region. I have also had 21 years with Telstra, ten years’ service with
8/13 VMR Armoured Corps Australian Army Reserve, and also ten years with NSW Rural fire service.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 09:47:59 AM by Tony »
Cheers
Tony
FarRider 802
NatRally's - 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 202🤬, 2🤬21, 2021/22 Black Dog bit me, 2023
Experience trumps assumption :-)

John Meara

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2011, 05:51:47 PM »
I have also had ten years’ service with 8/13 VMR Armoured Corps Australian Army Reserve

Nice colour ST Tony.  In 1975/76 I spent a short time at Wacol in the 2nd/14th QMI (called the CMF back then).  Did a radio course first, then was lined up for the gunnery course before I went on to other things, so missed out on driving  :-[  - only ever got to ride in the back of carriers at Tin Can Bay on a few weekend-warrior camps.  Were good times though.   Enjoy the ST.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 05:57:57 PM by John Meara »

Offline Sicman

• RTE Coordinator
  • Was here when the lights got turned on :-)
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2011, 09:08:11 PM »
I have also had ten years’ service with 8/13 VMR Armoured Corps Australian Army Reserve

Nice colour ST Tony.  In 1975/76 I spent a short time at Wacol in the 2nd/14th QMI (called the CMF back then).  Did a radio course first, then was lined up for the gunnery course before I went on to other things, so missed out on driving  :-[  - only ever got to ride in the back of carriers at Tin Can Bay on a few weekend-warrior camps.  Were good times though.   Enjoy the ST.

Thanks John - Graphite Pearl is the colour. I went on to become a Trooper Crew Commander of the APC's for years before they finally said you cant be a Trooper Crew Commander and made me a Corporal. They were great fun. I met a lot of great people and got to waste heaps of tax payers dollars firing 30 & 50 Cal's and going on exercise all over Oz with soldiers from all round the world
Cheers
Tony
FarRider 802
NatRally's - 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 202🤬, 2🤬21, 2021/22 Black Dog bit me, 2023
Experience trumps assumption :-)