Author Topic: Meet the OzSTOC Members...  (Read 30306 times)

Offline Sim

• A ride you say? LeST go!
Re: Meet the OzSTOC Members...
« Reply #75 on: October 19, 2011, 06:24:23 AM »
Hey Guys, excellant to make such quick contact. I too am always willing and keen to go for a ride, i have my kids part time so it would need to be on my "off weekend". But yes very keen to meet up. I did a round trip Kingston ->St Helens (via East Coast) -> midlands back to Kingston the other month.... BIG day (700km) - but loved it! Might have been a tad far?!  >:() but hey i know where my 'limit' is now! Lets organise something soon!
Sim :thumbsup
CBR1100XX
ST1300A '05 (sold)

Offline Malcolm6112

• Legendary Member
  • Armadale WA
« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2011, 01:43:20 PM »
Now that I've had my son show me how to post pictures, it's my turn.
Started riding when I was a wee lad of 16. First bike was a Yamaha sewing machine. 2 stroke 125.
Then bought a GS125 single 4 stroke.
Both of these bikes got a hard life. It was a on and off again relationship, mainly cause i was a learning.
I really enjoyed the GPZ 250 belt drive that I had. The most common colour in NZ was red. Mine was silver with red and black GPZ stripes.
Used to run Arrowmax tyres front and rear. Used to be able to push through corners really well. In my memory the roads used to have a decent camber to them. I can recall the first time I rode from where I lived in Welcome Bay to Te Puke on the 125. It took me over a half hour. With a bit more practice, a GPZ and having read a Keith Code book "The Soft Science of Road Racing Motorcycles" I was down to about 10 minutes. Lots of twisties and hanging off the side of the bike.
Road works can be nice.
After I had lost my licence a few times due to speed. :cop :cop I got an old bike. A KZ400 twin. I could beat my friends GPZ400/4 up to 100 them he would beat me hands down. His older brother had a Z900 which I rode once and a while. John, who had the 900 also raced a CZ Jawa around the local track in Tauranga. There was always a Matchless or Areil in the shed.
Wrote off the 400 in a spectacular crash into a bank which I don't remember. Remember waking up in the ambulance and mentioning that my wallet was in my jacket and call my parents.

Immigrated in '88. Naturalized in '94. The worst thing was having to learn how to vote. The preference system sucks!
Married an Aussie girl in '91. It was about 7 years before I bought another GPZ250. Used to take the kids for rides. Youngest on the tank and the two older in the rear. All smiles and laughs.
Sold it when our situation changed.
Last September,2010, after must looking and investigating, I finally got the ok from the Minister of Home Affairs to look at motorcycles. Took Diane to look at an ST1100. It had been owned by a Ulysses member. Diane didn't feel comfortable with the rear seating. Next door to it was a blue ST1300.
She hopped on the back and declared that it was far more comfy. That's all I needed. So hence I'm now an ST owner :thumb
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 08:54:24 PM by Malcolm6112 »
Malcolm
2004  ST1300A

Farrider 518
IBA       58213

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania
« Reply #77 on: October 23, 2011, 08:24:55 PM »
Welcome aboard Malcolm................unfortunately the blue ones have trouble keeping up with the white ones :grin 
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #78 on: October 23, 2011, 08:42:41 PM »
That's only cause your all looking at the back of the black ones  :thumb
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #79 on: October 23, 2011, 08:51:50 PM »
The only time White ones are behind a black one is just before the lights go on and the performance award is handed out....

:nahnah :beer :crackup :rofl
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline lryder

• Sunshine Coast QLD
« Reply #80 on: November 06, 2011, 07:14:24 PM »
HI there,

Thought I would post some details. Hope I'm posting correctly. Just added a 1300 to the garage.

Things started way back with an XV 750 when I was 19, then on to a 81 Z1000 and CB 400/4. Bought a Moto Guzzi 850 T5 16 years ago, then a 2001 VFR 800 8 years ago and of course the 1300. The last three are parked down stairs. Can't afford to keep three - but what the hell. I heard an old biker once say he regretted selling his bikes over the years  - getting nothing for them at the time; so while I'm still standing..and have some pocket money.. we'll see.

Ride with a little club here on the Sunshine Coast called the Blackall Range MC - (BRMCC) for the last 15 years. Low profile group of your everyday riders - real nice bunch of between 20 -25 members.   

The reason for the ST come about realising that my wife Melissa was getting a little tired hanging on to the VFR ( and me) with an engine though extremely sweet (and a V4 of course), tended to be a little 'on / off' due to its smaller capacity. Time to step it up in terms of comfort and pulling power. Looked at all the usual alternatives including the BMW 6 - (more of a fanciful dream actually - but unfounded once ridden), - Melissa giving the final approval to the ST. :thumbs

So looking to get a few 'farkles'?? (strange term yet to fully work out?) placed on the old girl, including mc cruise, gps (maybe - still thinking through), fender, rad guard,maybe heli risers with 'knob'.

Currently a government worker with history in the aviation industry. Done some touring in North VN last year - what a hoot! :grin

On the home front -three kids (12-17) running a 'muck'.  :fp

Will look at attending the run on the 19th if possible - say hi.

Real nice web site. I would post an image - but I can't get it to work - I have an iMac - maybe thats the trouble.

Cheers Lyndon & Melissa.

Lyndon and Melissa
ST 1300 2008 Graphite (I think)

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
« Reply #81 on: November 06, 2011, 08:21:48 PM »
Welcome Sir! great little write up  :thumb
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #82 on: November 07, 2011, 12:43:50 AM »
What that man said - great pics and write up thanks Lyndon and Melissa (Minister for War and Finance).

Try and get along to the next ride. I'll probs have a plan for those who want to join me on the way up - looks like the Bundy Crew are keen. Can't wait to see you guys again.

Cheers, Diesel
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2011, 12:20:47 AM »
I'm Alan, I have a partner named Heather, we live in Peterborough SA and have done so since September 2010. It's and railway town and if yor're travelling by anything via Broken Hill to Port Augusta and beyond you have to come through here. We all ways see a couple bikes a week travelling through town.

My ST is a blue 1999 1100ABS bought used from a 45 year old lady from Bendigo who had it for five years. The bike had 11500 kms on the clock and was never ridden in the wet when I got it in May 2006. Now it has 135000 on the clock and used all most everyday of the week.
From March 2007 until October 2010 I've crossed the Nullarbor at least four times in each direction while I was working away from home. And probably three trips from Karratha to Perth and back to visit my sister (3200 Kms return) So, it's done some K's and no major issues with the bike.

Over the years I've had a few 250cc bikes, the best of them was a Suzuki GSX250. After a few years without a bike I bought a fairly well used Honda 250N followed by a CX500Turbo which had generator issues. I've had a Honda 750DOHC K model before getting a basic CX500 and now the ST1100 which is a bike I wanted ever since it was released.

I haven't done much to the bike in the way of modifications. I replaced windscreen to a taller one as the old screen had faded with the heat at Karratha (so have some panels) and the seat cover cracked as well, which was replaced when I moved back here with a GEL seat bought from the states. I had RJays top box on the cX and added that to my ST when I found an OE rack in England. Oh! I added driving lights for the back blocks of WA for the few times I needed to ride at night. Hitting a bull or roo is not my idea of fun.

At the moment I use a Vista throttle lock but would gladly have a proper cruise control and I use a portable GPS mounted on the fake tank.

We've all ways ridden on our own and don't belong to any clubs. We thought about the Ulysses Club but the few ride calendars we saw mostly involved visiting a hotel or two. If you drink, it's fine, if you don't it's off putting.

I tried adding a couple pictures but it don't seem to work, same for adding avatar to profile (running Windows 7).  Plus your attachment restrictions don't add up. 4 times 128kbs is 512kbs not 192kbs

Best wishes

Heather and Alan

Added these after I found out how to do it, 55years young and still learning.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 02:02:16 AM by alans1100 »
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Poppy Dave

• Teller of Untellable Jokes
  • Midland, WA
    • Dave Roper
« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2011, 12:17:14 PM »

God I'm sexy
Dave R
Honda ST1100A
Suzuki Boulevard C50
STOC # 8241
SAC-PAV A/501

We know why dogs stick their heads out of car windows.

Offline Mark

• Mark
  • Woodvale WA
« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2011, 01:01:01 PM »

God I'm sexy

Dave

You have outdone yourself with that mug shot. It is amazing to see what a little photo shop can add to improve ones looks.

I will have to try it on myself (Ones I fixed the cracked lens from the last time my camera shattered at the sight of my face).

Your a funny fella

Mark
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 09:37:38 AM by Mark »
Newbie "An embarrassing and frivolous title"
2001 ST1100P - Y

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2011, 03:03:42 PM »
I can see your nose hairs in that pic, not a good sight really
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Poppy Dave

• Teller of Untellable Jokes
  • Midland, WA
    • Dave Roper
« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2011, 10:03:21 PM »
I can see your nose hairs in that pic, not a good sight really

Don't tell everyone Brock !!

I tell people I've been growing this moustache for 40 years.

Dave
Dave R
Honda ST1100A
Suzuki Boulevard C50
STOC # 8241
SAC-PAV A/501

We know why dogs stick their heads out of car windows.

Offline Aj1300

• aj1300
  • KTm
« Reply #88 on: March 01, 2012, 06:44:25 AM »
Hi guys, my name is Adam, I live in Sunbury VIC,I am married with four great kids . My lovely wife Julie is not keen on the bike. She likes going in a straight line but not going around corners. She tries to steer me by my waist, plus she won't lean with me. We have been married for 27 years and I don't know how she puts up with me.
My first bike was a Bulltaco , then I got a Vf 750 which I got knocked off. I was ok but the bike was a right off. Then I got a Crb 1000 , rode that around till I got a Blackbird, great bike. Have dirt bikes so I can ride with my kids. While riding in the bush , I got hit head on by an idot who was doing the wrong thing.no lic or reg. I suffered a broken tib,fibulae and colar bone. I had my own business at the time and had 8 months off work. While off work I thought I would clean up the Bird. Polished the frame and wheels, swing arm and had the plastic painted. I had plenty of time on my hands. Went to go for my first ride for 8 months after my crash. While wheeling the bike out of the garage I dropped the bike. I was too weak to hold the bike.
Now with a gimpy leg I found the blackbird too uncomfortable to ride. I have seen the light and got the 1300 . It's a 010 and has only 9000 k's on it, I plan to change that and do some more riding.
Cheers Adam :blk13
Adam aj1300/ KTM

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
« Reply #89 on: March 01, 2012, 10:15:41 AM »
Great Write up AJ, thank you!
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #90 on: March 01, 2012, 12:12:17 PM »
While wheeling the bike out of the garage I dropped the bike. I was too weak to hold the bike.
Now with a gimpy leg I found the blackbird too uncomfortable to ride. I have seen the light and got the 1300 .
Cheers Adam :blk13

I gather you've built up your muscles, because the ST1300 is a heavier bike to move around than the 'bird!
I have to make sure I'm on fairly level ground before I put the side stand down because she's a tough ask to get upright off a left downhill slope.   :(
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #91 on: March 01, 2012, 06:33:09 PM »
That's a problem we all have Biggles!

[/quote]

I gather you've built up your muscles, because the ST1300 is a heavier bike to move around than the 'bird!
I have to make sure I'm on fairly level ground before I put the side stand down because she's a tough ask to get upright off a left downhill slope.   :(

[/quote]
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 06:36:46 PM by Couch »
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #92 on: March 01, 2012, 06:39:50 PM »

I'm talking generally, not just on grass!   :crackup
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #93 on: March 01, 2012, 07:14:57 PM »
Ha! Ha! Ha!..................and to think I was once a bananabender!!

I'm talking generally, not just on grass!   :crackup