Author Topic: Black Box style DVR - Anyone use one?  (Read 6383 times)

atoyot

Black Box style DVR - Anyone use one?
« on: August 21, 2013, 05:44:57 PM »
Hey,

I'm just in the process of getting one of these

CB030 - http://www.create-eop.com.tw/Advanced-Dual-Channel-Motorcycle-Drive.html?CID=2

(well 2 actually, but that's another story), which are the next model up from these

CB014 - http://ozreprap.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=55

The CB030 that I'm getting, is pretty much the same as the CB014, except it uses a SD card, it's a bit smaller, it uses H264 instead of MP4, and it has a remote control (not sure what it's used for at this stage...)

Unfortunately, the local supplier of the CB014, OZ RepRap, don't appear to supply the CB030, but I can't confirm that as they didn't answer my email asking if they would. I assume not. Even so, for $289, they seem reasonable, but buying them locally, you'd get some support, that's if you can live with using a CF card.

I've gone direct to the manufacturer to supply me with 2 CB030's, and I'm going to install one on the ST and put it through it's paces. Assuming it works as I hope it will, I'm tempted to install the other one on my MT01, but the way it shakes, I'm not sure if the video would be watchable. Otherwise, a couple of mates might be interested in it.

The main thing I wanted is 2 cams, something that will fit under the seat, something that works and records when the bike is running, and also lets me know that it is working. I mainly want it in the situation that I never want to find myself in, even though I am aware that there are legal implications about the validity of a recording that is not timestamped etc. The unit also comes with a GPS, so I'll have to be sure that I don't do anything wrong and record the evidence as well.

An added bonus is that it is simple enough to remove the SD card from the unit and upload the video and data to the application for more time wasting, and perhaps even some riding video. How good cool dorky would it be to have it interface with the ST for more information like RPM, gear, temp etc...... :crazy

If anyone is interested, once I have the unit installed, I'll post some pics, notes, and my thoughts on whether it was worth the US$215 plus freight from Taiwan.

Offline Bikebear

• Legendary Member
  • Livin' it up in FNQ..
Re: Black Box style DVR - Anyone use one?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 09:47:33 PM »
I'd be interested to see how it goes. The blurb doesn't give much info (e.g. does it loop record) but with 2 cameras it would be great for recording ride video.
Craig..
STOC #8215
UC #42145
SCA#2478

Gold '99 ST1100A (Golden Brown), Black '04 VT750, Red '15 1800 Valkyrie (Hildr), Black '08 DN01

"Golden Brown finer temptress, Never a frown with Golden Brown"

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 10:02:29 AM »
Thanks atoyot - There may be quite a few Members very interested in your appraisal as this thread may suggest....

http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=2909.msg29584#msg29584

Cheers, Diesel

Edit:  I've just seen you contributed to the said thread.     :||||       Sorry bout that - but still interesting for Members who haven't seen it yet.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 10:33:51 AM by Diesel »
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

atoyot

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 06:35:49 PM »

Edit:  I've just seen you contributed to the said thread.     :||||       Sorry bout that - but still interesting for Members who haven't seen it yet.

I'd forgotton about that actually, so interesting to see that I still agree with what I said :o

The system does loop record, I think the time depends on the size of the SD card. The later CB030 model does better video compression, so would do more hours (minutes?) on same size card.

All ordered and in the mail, so just waiting for it to turn up and get some time to install. Hopefully the quality will be reasonable and it will work as advertised, and also last. Photos and report to come... :popcorn

atoyot

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 08:19:54 PM »
Finallly got around to doing a brief review and some pics of my DVR install.

Here's the DVR unit. As you can see, it's quite small, and I'm going for a loose mount under the seat. Buttons from the left are "On" light, Front camera, rear camera, and to the right of this is a small door which opens for the SD card, but the power cable also going into the hole at the end.

To the left of those you can just see some connections, which are LED cable (indication panel thingy- USB), GPS input - USB, remote mic (it has one built in somewhere), AV Out, and IR (extender?)

Next, here are the camera's, one which is shown with the waterproof screw connector. The end of this has a small 4 pin plug for the DVR video connector.

Now this is the LED display, which show 3 LED's; one for Video Rec, one for GPS fix, and the last for saved recording for "G" sensor that's may have been setoff by a collision.

This shows me holding the power wiring, GPS with USB, and a camera bracket. Bracket is flimsy, but useable.

Now the front camera mounted behind the screen...

And another one showing the front camera just behind the RAM lock.

Rear Camera mounted upside down under rear rack

and finally the GPS stuck on top of the Top Box

Installation was fairly simple; hardest part was routing the cables.

Cam views were pretty good.

In operation, I had a few probs:-

1. I had to fiddle around with the G sensor, as it was too sensitive, but didn't get enough time to get it just right, as I crashed and it didn't go off and save the clip from 10 secs prior to the G sensor being tripped, so I assume I had it too high.

2. Need a TV or analog screen to setup.

3. Even though I had unit to record endlessly, it kept reverting back to "until card full" or something similar.

Will finish this tomorrow night, bye for now.

Offline Abe

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • 4D Gang Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 06:05:44 AM »
Great work there atoyot.   :thumb

Interested in seeing some footage when you have it all finished and happy.  :popcorn

No doubt farkling is helping with your recovery. :rockon
At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang

atoyot

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 03:09:23 PM »
Thanks, Abe, but I have to admit that this is the old bike and photos I took before I trashed it. I don't want to over-farkle myself on the new one too soon!, so I'm spreading them out over a longer period. That's short for I'm too lazy.

Offline tj189

• Brisbane
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 05:04:52 PM »
thanks for sharing, please keep the info coming :popcorn
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

atoyot

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 08:53:56 PM »
Arg, just working out a way to post video, so might have to fiddle a bit.

As mentioned last night, there are a few problems with the DVR, the main one being that it didn't record what I really wanted it to record, that was my rear-ending a car, but I obviously have a few things yet to work out.

When I hit the car, the top box was dislodged, I think from hitting me in the back and breaking my ribs, but it had the GPS mounted on it, and it broke the 5 wired cable, so I'll either have to put a connector on it (which is easier than having to disconnect the GPS from the USB port of the unit under the seat each time) or connect my second DVR up on the new bike. I think I'd reather re-use the old.
From what I've seen, this is not really ready for anyone to use as intended, as it ultimately failed for me, but having said that, it has  plenty of promise, once the few bugs are ironed out, but as they aren't currently imported or supported in Aust, I can't recommend them unless you are a compulsive fiddler, at this stage. Having said that, I don't plan to crash test it again, so to a certain extent, I won't be able to give it the fully tested tick of approval!

Almost forgot, when the setup reverted back to "end on full card" instead of "loop when full" or similar, it filled the card and just flashed until I formatted the card. It is supposed to record everything until the card is full, then remove the oldest, but this doesn't include files saved in the protected area by the G sensor.

Video to come for sampling.......

Offline bloodbikes

• Legendary Member
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 10:17:03 PM »
Tell me where i can buy one and how much they are, seems a great system, what media does it record on?

:wht11

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 03:49:48 PM »
Might have to merge a couple of these threads together....

Apparently this is a reliable and sturdy unit.... (a FarRider once told me about it)..

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1311.R1.TR9.TRC2.A0.Xblackvue&_nkw=blackvue&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Here is another good one....

http://www.tachyoninc.com/bikercam.php

Cheers, Diesel
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

atoyot

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 07:44:35 PM »
Not sure how this will go but heres a vid from the DVR

and a shorter one.

Not sure why but the video didn't upload with both cam streams so it doesn't show the rear facing camera. Will have more of a fiddle, but the original link shows some samples with both cams.

atoyot

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 07:51:48 PM »
Tell me where i can buy one and how much they are, seems a great system, what media does it record on?

:wht11

Hi Bloodbikes, I got these from the manufacturer in Taiwan or wherever they are. The only distributor in AUstralia is http://ozreprap.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=55 and they only have the earlier model. I asked them if they would bring in the later one and got no response.

I got mine from

http://www.create-eop.com.tw/Advanced-Dual-Channel-Motorcycle-Drive.html?CID=2

but I had to buy 2, which suited me at the time.

Unless you're prepared to fiddle around a bit, I wouldn't say these are the best, as they have some issues that I haven't jet got around to resolving, but with a bit of work, they have real potential if you just want a dual cam system that records everything until the card is full then loops, and also records protected footage when the G sensor is tripped. Not really mature enough a product to recommend to anyone unless they like fiddling around with things. If you could hook up a small screen, then it would be more useful as the menu would be easy to setup and reset things, but as it is, you either have to remove the unit from the bike or put a screen near enough it to plug in if you want to change anything in the settings.

I hope that helps.

Andrew