Author Topic: Changing the original headlights for HID high/low beams  (Read 3566 times)

Offline Roadrunner

• ST Legend
Changing the original headlights for HID high/low beams
« on: October 30, 2013, 03:15:03 AM »
I had HID headlights on my VFR and they were brilliant. :thumb
 Has anyone replaced the standard halogen set up for a HID set up that does both High and Low beams?
If so was it just a plug and play system?
And any suggestions on the best place to buy a quality set up.
I found one place in the states selling Phillips set ups for $269.99  USD and they wanted $49.90US for two of those adapter rings :rockon, which unfortunately MotorCycleLarry.com is out of stock of at present and he usually sells them for $$10.98US per pair! :hatwave
Cheers
IBA:38554
FarRiders:246
Ulysses:23573

Offline jwm

• ST Legend
Re: Changing the original headlights for HID high/low beams
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 03:12:44 PM »
I can't help you with the HID light setup but I can let you know that I just bought a set of the globe adapter/shims off ebay from this seller:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251325012260?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

They fit all Honda Motorcycle Headlights and they arrived within about 8 days.

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 03:41:49 PM »
If you go to that eBay auction it says it's finished.

Don't be put off.  He has an eBay store at
http://stores.ebay.com.au/cyclemw-2010

which offers the same deal, with free postage.           :thumbs

There's plenty of other Honda bits and pieces in there.  He's in Hungary.  Who would have thought?
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Roadrunner

• ST Legend
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 07:20:34 PM »
Thanks for that. See, more schucks stuff Biggles : :-++I bought the last pair he had  :beer
As an aside have any of you blokes had problems insuring these bikes ( or maybe its just the older ones)
I had a quote from a major road service and insurer and went to insure the :rd13 bike today. I was asked what extras it had on it and when I disclose the extras, the girl went and spoke :crackup to some underwriter bloke and they would not insure the bike. :think1
So I just cancelled the VFR insurance and added the St to my existing insurance policy :runyay
But it makes you think what makes these people tick, I mean, the largest buildings in cities belong to banks and insurance companies and they should all have a big sign outside " SUCH IS LIFE" Ned RIP.

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 08:24:49 PM »
I bought the last pair he had  :beer

Almost...

http://tinyurl.com/mp9b6ha                :grin

Good call on the insurance.  Either they figured it added too much to the bike's basic value, or they thought the farkles were symptomatic of a hoon rider.

The way round I took was to insure for an agreed value rather than market value plus farkles.
It was the same amount as what I'd like to be paid out.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

Offline Roadrunner

• ST Legend
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 03:47:10 AM »
Ah Biggles, did I not say previously I was a newbie, who needed to consult with the sages of the forum :-++
I took your directions and the add said one pair left, so I bought them. Ah but I incorrectly assumed that that meant the last pair of total stock. Wrong :||||

On the insurance issue. I think you are totally correct on the farkle/ bike value relationship.
However after being told to POQ! I asked this questions:
1: What if we raise the sum insured and I pay an agreed value premium? Answer = POQ!!!
 And get this gem, the same mob price matched the insurance for my old Fairmont Ghia , dropping their original  quote by $260.00 :think1

Despite having ridden bikes since 1961 and  having had full insurance and NEVER having had a claim on 48 bikes they still give you the :nahnah Gotta love em, :KissBlow Just like the SALESMEN you find in some bike shops. Wouldn't know their :butt from their :think1

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 01:06:36 PM »
Well illustrated!

You could write a short story just with the emoticons in here.

No1  Don't do it!!   :eek

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 03:19:20 PM »
This might help you Roadrunner.....

Fitting HID lights to replace original ST1300 headlights - click here

I'd recommend against this though. Knowing what I know about it - HIDs are supposed to outlast the bike - WRONG!

Buy a great set of +100 or +120 Ultrabrite H4 Halogen globes and save yourself a fair bit of trauma. In saying this - HID conversions have worked very well for many others - and there can be no doubting their effectiveness both for seeing at night, and being seen in the daylight (6000K temp).

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Diesel
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 03:23:02 PM by Diesel »
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline Roadrunner

• ST Legend
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 05:21:50 AM »
Ahh Diesel, I got goose bumps looking at that hid set up of yours :thumbs Same lights I had on my VFR  :hatwave and I had HID low beams. God forgive me I am an addicted Farkler :|||| Mind you having a son who is a qualified Electrical Fitter does help HEAPS! :hatwave   Still as I told Biggles I am a newbie to STs and am heeding the advice of the forum sages  :-++
I hope to pick up my bike from Wayne'O around the 12th and will be doing some night riding coming back from Victoria> Wayne said he vaguely recalls the previous owner saying he had updated the headlight globes :thumb So it may be that I can spend some dollars at Farklebar.com instead :runyay
Cheers

Offline Roadrunner

• ST Legend
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 05:31:21 AM »
Diesel
I ran the 6000 globes  too. this is what my VFR looked like at night. 8) The yellow bit is of course the H7 Halogen High Beam globes that were next on the agenda for change.
And Diesel that was a great layout of your installation, very neat and tidy :hatwave

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 07:46:48 AM »
 :thumb
FarRider #416   IBA #55491