Author Topic: Cheap Roadside Assistance for Motorbike Riders....  (Read 4635 times)

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
Cheap Roadside Assistance for Motorbike Riders....
« on: March 05, 2014, 08:08:36 AM »
Got this tip from Growly...

Quite a good rate for Roadside Assistance - see here....

http://www.motorcyclealliance.com.au/roadside-assistance/

Looks like you can live in any state to take advantage of this.

Cheers, Diesel
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 09:27:55 AM by Diesel »
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline jwm

• ST Legend
Re: Cheap Roadside Assistance for Motorbike Riders....
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 03:51:43 PM »
That's a good price. :thumbs :thumbs :thumbs :thumbs It's definitely better than the +$180.00 I'm currently paying the NRMA for Roadside Assistance on the bike.  Let me see, 2 cars, 1 motorcycle and I'm just about to take out an additional Premium Cover because the new caravan is over 2 tons and not covered by normal Roadside Assistance (caravans under 2 ton are). That's 4 policies at somewhere over $700 a year at present just for NRMA Roadside Assistance. Even though I keep telling them I can only drive one vehicle at a time.  :cuss :cuss :cuss

Offline HOFFY

• ST Legend
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 04:41:53 PM »
I went to RAC and they kept telling me it was $35 per month.

Even after printing the add, they still insisted $35 / month and the add was wrong.

Their min was $95 / year for a bike plus other associated fees for long distance call outs etc.

Offline Nigel

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 04:47:55 PM »
Interesting,

I am in the RACV. Cost is $172 per year for top  roadside cover. This provides me with cover for any vehicle I drive, (even somebody else s), bike car and caravan etc. I also nominate one vehicle for the missus. So not a bad deal. This also is coverage Aust wide.  :wht11
Introducing My 2007 BMW K 1200 GT
Avoid Disappointment, Expect the Unexpected.
Nigel               0447333268
Mooroolbark But its a secret.

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 04:51:16 PM »
Interesting,

I am in the RACV. Cost is $172 per year for top  roadside cover. This provides me with cover for any vehicle I drive bike car and caravan etc. I also nominate one vehicle for the missus. So not a bad deal. This also is coverage Aust wide.  :wht11

Very similar pricing and coverage for SA with the RAA.
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Online ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 04:54:30 PM »
That's good value  ++ we use 24/7 as well.....we pay $85 for callous per year, that's for bike and car.

In Regional/Rural NSW 24/7 respond NRMA to do the roadside service.

We go through this broker http://www.monaland.com.au/
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 06:39:31 PM »
Come to sunny Queensland.
With RACQ, $161.90 ($10 discount for having Green slip with them) gets me Personal Ultra Care car cover and any vehicle I drive or ride.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Wombattle

• ST Owner
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 07:46:53 PM »
The towing is the killer with this cheap one, although it's the same distance, 50km, the basic NRMA roadside offers. The dearer premuim cover with NRMA gives you 150ks towing in the sticks and 50 in town.

I recently had a bike covers by RACV (is that the Vic one?) that broke down inNSW. The bike needed towing and their agreement with NRMA on their roadside assist only covered 8kms of towing out of state. The bike owner ended up paying full freight for the tow, NRMA only organised the truck and stepped out. They will only tow you to their closest depot, If you want them to tow you somewhere else you have to pay.

On my own bikes I have NRMA's Business Wise premium cover. I recognise that's not accessible to everyone, which is a shame. For that you get 3k per year per vehicle and you can use it for towing, hire cars, accommodation, whatever you need. I have only used it once and had a bike towed from Gundagai to Newcastle (my home) and I hitched a ride with the tow truck and it didn't cost me a zac. The tow truck driver said the tow was over 2k. I unfarkled the bike and then they also arranged and paid for the tow to the dealership at Cessnock.  It's about the same price per vehicle as their Personal Premium RA.

I know that not everyone can access the Business versions of it, but if you can it's worth it. If you have a business and have your car/s on the cover they are open to adding your bikes, the more the merrier.

Anyhow, the take home message is think about how where you might be riding and watch the tow limitations. A 50k round trip tow doesn't help me out much on most of the rides I do. When you pay the balance it is round trip, so they'll tow you where you want to go and for the distance they travel to get you and drive back to the base (although some just charge you double the rate to get you and not for the drive home :whistle)

Lucky ST's don't break down very often, unless you put fuel in them in Wilcannia, eh Lionel?  :-(((
Craig
Riding around on MYST.