Honda ST1300 Section > Fuel & Additives ST1300

Usable fuel capacity on ST1300

(1/3) > >>

cravenhaven:
Went for a ride in the country today without filling up first. I thought that 3 bars on the fuel gauge should get me to the highway where fuel is generally cheaper. Anyway, I got myself into a nice remote area when the low fuel indicator starts flashing, then managed to make a wrong turn (you know how it is  :whistle ) and the remaining fuel is steadily and worryingly decreasing. At the point where the computer gives up trying to figure out life expectancy, I am in the middle of some hill country and I carefully nurse it along, hoping that civilisation and an open petrol station will appear soon. At last I see the signs of a town coming into view and pull into the servo, fill up but note that it only takes 26L of fuel  :think1.

So what happened to the other 4L that I thought the ST held?.

Does anyone have some insight as to how much fuel it should have taken to fill up from "apparent" empty?.

Allan

Biggles:
I saw exactly the same thing a few years ago in Rockhampton at a very small single pump shop.
I put it down to the pump doing the unlikely: under-reading.

YoungSTer recently experienced the opposite, and challenged the attendant who said they knew of the error and gave them a $2 credit.

I run a spreadsheet which calculates the expected remaining range based on one litre unusable, and it always agrees with either the "count-down" or my projections based on recent consumption.

Regarding the "count-down" facility- you have probably seen for yourself it loses the plot if you shut down and restart the bike.  It's only reliable if read continuously.

cravenhaven:

--- Quote from: Biggles on February 15, 2015, 05:10:38 PM ---I saw exactly the same thing a few years ago in Rockhampton at a very small single pump shop.
I put it down to the pump doing the unlikely: under-reading.

Regarding the "count-down" facility- you have probably seen for yourself it loses the plot if you shut down and restart the bike.  It's only reliable if read continuously.

--- End quote ---

I seriously doubt that the pump was under reading by 15%, although it is a country servo.
As I said, I was riding continuously so stop/start errors wouldnt have occurred. I have seen this sort of effect with other vehicles as well and it seems quite reasonable that when so close to 0 range left the startup usage is going to have a significant effect, particularly if it is a cold start. I had this happen with the same bike many years ago when I got home from a ride with something like 40K left flashing on the gauge. Next morning I start the bike and get to the end of the (very short) street where it promptly stopped.  Its a damned heavy bike to push :)

Gadget:
The spec is 29.2 litres as Totgas posted very recently in another post.

I've deliberately run mine to empty on a run back from Rockhampton and got to 565 km before running out with no coughing at all before empty. Topped it up with 4 litres and rode another 60 km and then filled up with 27.5 liters.

cravenhaven:
Thanks Gary,
From what you reported it would indicate close to 30L capacity. I've had over 550K's on a tank as well, but I dont remember how much it used to refill that time and thats why I was so surprised that it only took 26L when it was indicating that it was empty.
I'd had a problem with the battery this morning so I'm wondering if that confused the trip meter, still I would have thought that a 250km run would have given it time to sort itself out.
It'll be interesting to see what it reports on this current tank full.

Allan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version