Author Topic: Motorcycle Quote of the Day  (Read 428084 times)

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Re: Motorcycle Quote of the Day
« Reply #2625 on: October 09, 2018, 08:57:45 AM »
The amount of space dedicated to a tool kit should depend on the reliability of the motorcycle and the mechanical skill of the rider. Except for a pair of vice grips, a flashlight, duct tape, and some zip-tie fasteners, I've generally packed little more than the tools provided by the bike's manufacturer. Some riders carry enough tools to dismantle and rebuild their engine beside the road. With my limited mechanical experience, the additional tools would just take up precious luggage space and reduce my carrying capacity. This makes mechanically adept friends shudder, but I've never carried more tools than I feel I'm competent to use. I've made minor roadside repairs from time to time and found the standard tool set to be adequate. Rather than rely on a complete set of tools and my limited mechanical expertise, I ride motorcycles that are serviced regularly and which my local dealer keeps in good repair.
Going The Extra Mile  Ron Ayres  p54
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #2626 on: October 10, 2018, 09:19:58 AM »
A functional tankbag is a necessity for long-distance riding. Virtually all tankbags have a clear plastic window on the top display maps, directions, and other notes. A tankbag will also give you easy access to important things you'll need on the move or during pit stops. My tankbag typically holds items such as lip balm, sunscreen, eyewash, a banana or two, spare earplugs, a pen and small notepad, a flashlight, tire gauge, first-aid kit, cell phone, and a lock with a long cable for securing my helmet and riding suit to the motorcycle if I must leave the bike unattended. When I unzip the expansion gusset, I can even cram an entire change of clothing into the bag.
I've attached a strip of Velcro to the right side of my tankbag, and to my audio harness where it attaches to the helmet, so when I disconnect the harness I've got a place to affix the wire so it's out of the way while I'm refuelling. If I forget to attach the harness to the helmet before I take off at least it won't flop around and become damaged.
Going The Extra Mile  Ron Ayres  p72
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #2627 on: October 11, 2018, 09:15:58 AM »
When it comes to racking up mileage, consistency is more important than speed. Speeding excessively requires more attention and is more stressful than riding at moderate speeds, so you'll tire more quickly. Higher speed also equates to higher fuel consumption, which means more frequent stops. Finally, the time wasted while receiving speeding tickets will significantly eat into your average speed.
In the endurance-riding community, the "entry level" ride for IBA membership is a SaddleSore 1000- a ride of 1,000 miles or more completed in 24 hours or less. While the SaddleSore seems like a monumental achievement to the novice long-distance rider, veteran riders can finish this ride in 18 hours or less while travelling within the speed limit.
Going The Extra Mile  Ron Ayres  p82

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #2628 on: October 12, 2018, 08:38:04 AM »
Riders have different opinions about the most effective approach for dealing with a stop. I've discussed my strategy with friends who are police they confirm that it's a good approach.
Don't insult the officer's intelligence by acting as though you have no idea why he stopped you or by denying that you were speeding. "When I saw your cruiser I looked at my speedometer and realised I was going a little fast," I usually say. "I'm not usually over the limit like that. Sorry." If the officer tells me how fast he clocked me, I wince a little, but I never suggest that he's got it wrong. After all, when I get caught, I usually am speeding.
I decided a long time ago to forego pleading for mercy. The officer knows I would appreciate a break and if he's inclined to give me one based on my behaviour, he's going to do it without my asking. Besides, I like being polite to the police, but I don't like to grovel. My approach must work because when I have been stopped, I've received verbal warnings about half of the time and I don't think I've ever been written up for the actual speed I was travelling.
Going The Extra Mile  Ron Ayres  pp87-8

The following users thanked this post: Gerard & Sandra

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #2629 on: October 13, 2018, 09:26:01 AM »
Like many Iron Butt veterans, George Barnes restricts the use of motel rooms to times when he plans to sleep at least four hours. He points out that when you consider the time required for filling out forms, finding the room, and unpacking motorcycle, the check-in process can consume half an hour or more. If George plans to sleep less than four hours, he checks into the Iron Butt Motel.
The term "Iron Butt Motel" was originally used to describe a situation in which a rider slept on a parked motorcycle, either leaned back against his luggage or slumped forward resting on his tankbag. Today the term is commonly used to describe any situation where sleeping outdoors near your motorcycle, rather then in a motel.
Rest areas along interstate highways in most areas of the country are relatively safe, although some areas have had problems. After several foreign tourists were robbed and murdered at rest areas in Florida, state police began assigning full-time guards to rest stops after dark. Another rider, an avid bicyclist and long-distance motorcyclist, prefers to use cemeteries to grab a quick nap. He contends that he's never been bothered while napping in a cemetery- especially at night.
Going The Extra Mile  Ron Ayres  pp99-100

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #2630 on: October 14, 2018, 01:20:10 PM »
In observance of the dictum to do everything that you can on the motorcycle and to rely on maintaining a steady, consistent pace, serious competitors eat while moving. I sometimes pack energy bars and small packages of beef jerky to snack on while riding. Many riders pre-cut energy bars into small, bite-sized pieces and sprinkle them with powdered sugar to prevent their sticking together.
I'm very disciplined about the system that I follow when I'm competing in an endurance rally. Beginning in the morning, I eat nothing but fresh fruit and fruit juices. Bananas, oranges, peaches, nectarines, and plums are readily available and are easy to carry on the motorcycle. But I never eat fruit with, or immediately following anything else. Once I've eaten anything but fruit, I wait at least three hours before eating fruit again. If I eat flesh (meat or fish), I wait at least four hours. I drink a lot of water all day long and eat nothing after about eight o'clock in the evening.
Going The Extra Mile  Ron Ayres  p113

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #2631 on: October 15, 2018, 04:33:59 PM »
Scott also advises that standing up on the footpegs over rough ground is probably the most important technique off-road riding neophytes should master. While you may think the practice would raise your centre of gravity and make the motorcycle less stable, the opposite is true. Standing transfers your weight to the footpegs, thus lowering your centre of gravity and making easier for you to control the bike. In addition, since you'll be higher and will be able to see a little farther, you should get some advance warning about obstacles that are coming up.
It's easier to stand on the footpegs of some motorcycles than others. As you stand, grip the tank gently between your legs to provide additional stability. Practice this technique at slow speeds when there isn't any traffic, so you will be comfortable with it when you need it.
Going The Extra Mile  Ron Ayres  p119

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #2632 on: October 16, 2018, 12:11:27 PM »
Clancy's flexibility when faced with trip-ending barriers, like no roads, outrageous expenses and bureaucratic hassles, again reflected a man willing to take risks, manage them, adjust and move forward. One of the words in the definition of adventure is risk. Clancy faced and managed real motorcycling risks.
The tedium of typing on his portable typewriter the words that were then mailed off to New York was far removed from what modern-day adventurers face with electronic gizmos to post on the Internet their words and pictures, within hours of shutting off their motorcycles. I have pictured the stress Clancy must have had to face in cramped ship quarters typing. Or the hassles associated with trying to get a roll film developed for pictures to be sent along with his words to his publisher.
Motorcycle Adventurer  Gregory Frazier  pxii

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #2633 on: October 18, 2018, 04:36:28 PM »
Finding our gasoline nearly gone the next morning, I spent an hour trying to buy some in the town, but found no "patrol", as the natives called it, that kerosene had never been heard of, and that no alcohol outside of whiskey could be bought. I finally purchased a pint of "paraffine oil"— which is used wherever house lamps can be afforded, instead of the universal tallow candle- mixed this with the cupful of gas I had and safely reached Lisnaskal, a more favoured town, four miles away. Here our steed drank its fill of the precious liquid called Pratt's Motor Spirit, which is a refined product of the Standard Oil Co., of a much higher grade than its American variety, and is sold in two-gallon tins at 38 cents a gallon by small shops and hotels in every other town we have visited in Great Britain.
Motorcycle Adventurer  Gregory Frazier  p18

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #2634 on: October 19, 2018, 08:34:54 PM »
At five o'clock it was practically dark, but we headed our machine south for some 40 miles down the coast. We had covered only 15 miles, however, before a terrific storm broke upon us in a mountain pass, soaking us to the skin, nearly blowing us over several times, and compelling us to return to the last town we had passed, Bally Castle in County Antrim, 3 1/2 miles back. Here were very glad to take shelter in the "Antrim Arms", and to give our machine credit for not misfiring once, in spite of the water, which gave me many most annoying electric shocks through my soaked leather gloves.
Motorcycle Adventurer  Gregory Frazier  p25

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #2635 on: October 20, 2018, 09:27:23 AM »
Time means next to nothing here- in fact, all through this country they close the gates at the railroad crossings at five minutes before the train is due, and as the train is seldom on time, the nature of a people who will put up with this regulation is apparent. I arrived at one of these gates one minute after it had been closed, and actually had to fight the woman guard before I could push my machine through the pedestrian gates and get across. At last she gave up and burst into tears, running off with a mixture of cries in which "Mon Dieu! Mon Dieu!" played an important part. The train might have come along sometime, but though I followed the track for miles I never saw it.
Motorcycle Adventurer  Gregory Frazier  p73

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #2636 on: October 21, 2018, 04:25:35 PM »
Being the watershed for the whole range of mountains to the north, these plains were furrowed with countless streams and a number of respectable rivers, even in this dry season. Only one river on the whole route boasted a bridge, and after a hard rain the road would have been absolutely impossible. What shook my nerve was to have the shadow at the bottom of a sharp descent suddenly turn into a 40-foot river of hidden depth. Usually I was able to stop on the brink, and then walking on an occasional flagstone, laboriously push the machine through the muddy streams, none of which proved over two feet in depth. After a while I got so I didn't care- philosophically reflecting that one must die sometime and to die with one's boots on is very noble; so I rushed all the fords that came later, and surprised myself each time by reaching the other side alive. My dear old Henderson even seemed to enjoy the excitement.
Motorcycle Adventurer  Gregory Frazier  p89

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #2637 on: October 22, 2018, 07:57:03 PM »
It was on this rapid decline, with my clutch off and my engine throttled down, that I slid suddenly around a sharp curve onto the strangest group of Arab horsemen I have ever seen. Well dressed and well mounted, what could they be doing here, ten miles from even the merest hamlet, on this wretched, viewless day? Were they highwaymen, brigands, or what? As it happened, they were as much surprised at our sudden meeting as was I, and their horses were even more so, becoming so excited that one narrowly escaped backing into me as I dodged past, while another was prevented from throwing his rider over the precipice by the merest chance. In fact, their horses kept the hands of these mysterious men so full that I was able to get away around a turn before they could take any offensive action. What my fate would have been had been going up the hill instead of down, wouldn't be hard to imagine- with a thousand-foot cliff so conveniently nearby.
Motorcycle Adventurer  Gregory Frazier  p107

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #2638 on: October 23, 2018, 06:30:54 PM »
The sunsets here, and later in the Indian Ocean, compensated slightly for our misfortune, with their gorgeous displays- never will I forget them. One was like a stupendous crown with alternating gold and blue points, each radiating streamers of its color clear to the zenith, where a halo of violet surmounted all and reflected the deep orange circle about the sun itself. Another was like unto a great rainbow, blending all the colors of the spectrum, which were reflected in the calm water like a rare painting in oils, shimmering on the tiny waves.
But only after the ball of the sun had slipped quickly into its watery couch, was the full splendour of nature apparent. Now like a chameleon in a capricious mood, the vivid colors would change to the softest hues. Directly over the sun the deep red would fade into orange; that would be bordered with a semi-circle of yellow, fading into one of pea-green, which, in turn, merged with a band of wonderful lavender. Next came a stretch of violet, then a ribbon of azure, followed by an expanse of deep blue through which the stars already twinkled merrily; and then outshone the new moon, chasing the few clouds away.
Motorcycle Adventurer  Gregory Frazier  pp153-4

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #2639 on: October 24, 2018, 04:33:05 PM »
To me "Nippon," as the Japanese call their country, seemed the most fascinating country in which to motorcycle I have ever visited- everything is so different, so beautiful, so peculiar in its charm. The roads are good- except for occasional stretches- but there is a great lack of bridges across big rivers. Ferries are usually operated with some regularity, but delay always accompanies the appearance of a river. While the minor bridges are often too narrow and too weak for motor cars, they form no obstacle to the motorcycle. It is impossible to maintain an average speed of over 15 miles an hour, because of the numerous unprotected stone culverts placed in the road and not level with it, and because the roads are so narrow and full of right angle turns, which often hide a rickshaw or pony cart.
While the people are very obliging, they are slow to get out of the way. A horn does not mean "motorcycle!" to them, but "fried fish," "pipes cleaned," or "clogs mended".
Motorcycle Adventurer  Gregory Frazier  pp214-5

Bodø

« Reply #2640 on: October 24, 2018, 07:01:01 PM »
Agree with most of that except the lack of bridges.

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #2641 on: October 25, 2018, 03:24:29 PM »

This was in 1914, remember.

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #2642 on: October 25, 2018, 03:27:12 PM »
The machine arrived wrong side up, and when I opened the box it became evident that it had ridden across the Pacific in that position. The oil I had neglected to drain from the crank case in my hurried departure from Yokohama had run down into the heads of the cylinders and so clogged things up generally that free use of "coal oil", as Westerners call kerosene, was required before I could get the engine running. All through this operation and the cleaning process that followed I had been continually aided by a most unusual youth from Los Angeles. Avowedly on a vacation tour with his 1913 Henderson, Robert Allen (they called him "Bob") forgot his own interests completely in unselfish endeavour to help me. Being much interested in my proposed trip across the continent, he soon became a very good friend; and finally, to my delight, I succeeded in inducing him to make the trip with me, at least as far as Chicago. 
Motorcycle Adventurer  Gregory Frazier  p226

Bodø

« Reply #2643 on: October 25, 2018, 03:51:51 PM »

This was in 1914, remember.

There was no mention of it in the above text.

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #2644 on: October 26, 2018, 04:41:12 PM »
And of course, you'd be very correct. The idea of riding around the world on a Henderson (the first person to ride the world on a motorcycle) buying "parrafine oil" for 38 cents a gallon in 2 gallon tins is a hint that it's not recent conditions that's the subject.

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #2645 on: October 26, 2018, 04:43:03 PM »
Cooled off during lunch time, my clutch held bravely to the top of the next long grade, and from here on six miles of fairly good road cheered us with the hope that the worst was over. Yet soon we were plowing through countless fords, washouts, rock piles, and mud holes again, and around the wickedest of hairpin turns. Before dark we had reached the foot of "Castle Rocks", flatteringly reproduced in railroad folders, and by nightfall arrived in the combination summer resort and lumbering town of Dunsmuir.
Too stiff to move a muscle without pain, we awoke at nine o'clock the following morning devoid of the slightest ambition to make a transcontinental motorcycle tour. Among the crowd still gathered about our machines in front we found a tourist who had just arrived from Chicago on a one-cylinder "X", and we fully believed his assertion that he had "walked most of the way," especially as he had taken four months to make the trip. As far as we could learn, we were the first motorcyclists to have motored to Dunsmuir from San Francisco, and when we reached Portland we were told that no motorcycle had ever made the complete tour between the two cities before.
Motorcycle Adventurer  Gregory Frazier  p236

Offline Williamson

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #2646 on: October 26, 2018, 07:35:38 PM »
...... buying "parrafine oil" for 38 cents a gallon in 2 gallon tins is a hint that it's not recent conditions that's the subject.

I seem to recall that when I started driving that petrol was 38 cents a gallon; that also was not recent.  And a long neck, 26oz, of VB was the same price. 

Just checked Dan Murphy for the price of a VB long neck, $7.39 which compare well to the price gallon of ULP, ~$7.26, assuming $1,60 per litre.

Bill may be along soon to tell as what these cost in his early days, but we might have to convert from £sd to make sense.
Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #2647 on: October 26, 2018, 07:44:04 PM »
4/- a gallon.  That's 4 shillings a gallon for the children.    :grin

The following users thanked this post: Williamson

Online Kev Murphy

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • 98 ST1100 Portland, SW Vic coastal.
« Reply #2648 on: October 26, 2018, 08:27:49 PM »
Used to pay 40 cents/gallon when I had taxis 1970, but I can remember that I paid 3 shillings per gallon for my bike in 1963, when I was 15 years old. (Earned from my paper round)
0428 306 496

kjmurphy2@bigpond.com

Offline Mitch

• Legendary Member
  • Mitch
« Reply #2649 on: October 26, 2018, 08:52:55 PM »
At the present time 40cents wouldn't even pay the TAX on 1 litre of ULP.  :angry-old-man-smiley-emoticon
                           :grin :slvr13 :grin
2016 KTM1290 Super Adventure
2018 HONDA NC750X

The following users thanked this post: Kev Murphy