Author Topic: DRIRIDER Gloves - Not Happy  (Read 5841 times)

Offline jf3000

• One Armed Bandit.
DRIRIDER Gloves - Not Happy
« on: July 21, 2014, 02:02:32 PM »

In November last year I purchased the DRIRIDER ADVENTURE 2- WINTER TOURING gloves. The warranty on the gloves is 12 months. After several months I started to notice that the gloves started to fall apart and even though it says Winter touring they probably made a mistake and meant winter (If not colder than 15 degrees). I am completely disappointed that they couldn't do a better job in the glove department, because the Dririder jacket I have is awesome and keeps me super warm even when its -1 degrees yet the gloves fail.

The hard part was when I returned to Brisbane on Friday last week and showed the gloves to the dealer, they seemed less interested in helping me, they said I would need my receipt, I asked if he could bring it up on there system and he groaned and then said we would need to send the gloves to the rep, I asked if they could loan me a pair of gloves even if they were crap and yet again groan, I just said look don't worry about it.

Its disappointing that the gloves have started to fall apart.

I cant remember my other brand of gloves I had but they too were falling apart when the actual rubber material started to peel from the gloves.

These ones are just waiting to fall apart completely.

So with all this can anyone recommend a pair of gloves that has lasted them thick and thin and in the cold and does them well in the summer too or maybe you've a different set for the summer. Thanks.

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
Re: DRIRIDER Gloves - Not Happy
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 02:41:50 PM »
Hi Mate,
             I have had a pair of these from Zen for the last 12 months and have been really happy with them for the really cold winter days

http://www.zenmotorcyclegear.com.au/gloves/zen-assen-leather-glove/

For most of the year round i wear the Zen Summer FNQ Glove, which i use for 85% of my riding:

http://www.zenmotorcyclegear.com.au/gloves/fnq-leather-vented-summer-gloves/

Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

The following users thanked this post: spanner

Online Skip

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 06:35:39 PM »
I've had a pair of DriRider gloves for 9 years. Still going strong. I bought a summer pair as I find the winter ones too hot for anything over 20 degrees. Maybe the quality has declined over the years but I am happy with DriRider gear I have. Sounds like you need to find a different dealer as well.
Getting wind in my hair while I still have some.

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 06:48:00 PM »
When we bought our 1100 eight years ago we bought some new winter gloves from a bike dealer that was located in the southern suburbs of Adelaide.
Four years ago my pair suffered from daily use so Heather gave me hers. When we bought them there wasn't a size to fit her so she took a size smaller than mine so I got to use them when mine wore out. A little tight but they stretched over a few months and I still use them. Though now the waterproofing is now more shower proof than rain proof. I'm afraid a can't let you know the brand as it's not on them but as of today I have a new pair.

Bought from here at sale price for $44.30 inc postage

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261283838569?var=560225090613&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648

But looks like they are made by

http://www.wickedgear.net.au/gloves/cruiser-leather-gloves with a store in WA
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 08:18:32 PM »
I wear the same gloves as Streak most of the year, Zen Summer FNQ Glove:

http://www.zenmotorcyclegear.com.au/gloves/fnq-leather-vented-summer-gloves/

And for when it gets cold I wear Dryrider Levin winter gloves:

http://www.motorcyclepartsaccessoriesandclothing.com.au/product3968/dririder-levin-waterproof-spt-tour-gloves-black/

My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline Old Steve

• Legendary Member
  • Social Touter
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 10:22:03 AM »
I bought 2 pairs of leather gloves 5 years ago when I started riding, one set has plastic knuckle protectors, the other just has double layer leather pads over the knuckles.  I can't remember the brands but I'm still using them.  Now my wife is riding pillion with me she has claimed the all leather pair as her own as they're nicely worn in, fairly soft and flexible.

One problem I encountered was that both pairs absorbed sweat from my hands and eventually started to smell, and caused my hands to smell when I took them off.  I now wash them, dry them carefully, and spray Fabreeze into them and let them dry again.  I do this about every 8 to 12 months.  I then also give them a light wipe over with dubbin, and leave them in the sun for a while then work the leather between my fingers to make sure the dubbin has been absorbed into the leather.

Won't consider anything but leather gloves.  Must look at the brands and post here, think the all leather ones are DARBY.
At my age you realise something very important, then ten minutes later you've forgotten it.

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 10:40:49 AM »
I think you got a dealer on a slack day......Pockey had an issue with her Dririder winter gloves a few months ago, washed them and the dye in the leather ran into the Textile. Local dealer sent them back to Dririder and were replaced  :thumbsup

:beer
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 11:44:01 AM »
eventually started to smell

I heard a great tip for fixing this the other day. Actually it was for boots/shoes but would still work.

Plonk the offending gloves in a suitable sized zip lock bag, and trow them in the freezer for the night. take em out in the morning and allow to warm up before using. Smell should be gone, cos the freezing kills the bacteria causing the smell. Wot thuh
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

The following users thanked this post: spanner

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 11:48:52 AM »
eventually started to smell

I heard a great tip for fixing this the other day. Actually it was for boots/shoes but would still work.

Plonk the offending gloves in a suitable sized zip lock bag, and trow them in the freezer for the night. take em out in the morning and allow to warm up before using. Smell should be gone, cos the freezing kills the bacteria causing the smell. Wot thuh

followed by a detergent bath to purge the bacteria bodies.     :wink1
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 02:45:41 PM »
Just turn the gloves inside out Biggles and shake, the bodies will fall off...
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 05:22:20 PM »
Just turn the gloves inside out Biggles and shake, the bodies will fall off...

Nah.  Turning gloves inside out properly requires the setting aside of a weekend, which is a serious waste of riding time.
Nuke 'em with chemicals an hot water.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 10:39:08 PM »
Hey Shiney, how do you find the Dri Rider Levin gloves go with heated grips?
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 04:14:42 PM »
Hey Shiney, how do you find the Dri Rider Levin gloves go with heated grips?

Very well, the heat travels through the gloves nicely, it just takes a little while longer for the heat to initially transfer through the gloves. :thumbsup
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline jf3000

• One Armed Bandit.
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 10:48:04 AM »
Thank you to everyone that has replied, freezer to kill bacteria, fireplace to kill remains. Will def have to look at a new pair of gloves. Funny thing called to complain about the person who served me, no longer works there, was fired lol. Fete...

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 03:56:38 PM »
Will def have to look at a new pair of gloves. Funny thing called to complain about the person who served me, no longer works there, was fired lol. Fete...

Go to ALDI's sale on 09/08.  Usually $32 for a decent pair, but not much choice- last time they were winter weight.

Offline nate

• Old skool
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2014, 04:26:48 PM »
Hey Biggles, do you have advance notice of what they have? Can find the sale info on their website.

Cheers!
Nate
Nate (Nathan)
 :blk11

"You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding."

Offline Phil.S

• ST Legend
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2014, 04:49:55 PM »
I am the same as Jason I have had a pair of belstaff gloves since 1995 and they are just now starting to wear on the inside ,to try and find something that is as good as I have had is hard , these gloves have been good in hot and cold weather are breathable and waterproof also have wrist protection, the only cold finger I have had is the right thumb.

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2014, 05:47:24 PM »
Hey Biggles, do you have advance notice of what they have? Can find the sale info on their website.

No, but they have always had helmets, boots, gloves and jackets.  Last time they also had thermal vests and pants.

Offline jf3000

• One Armed Bandit.
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2016, 12:15:43 PM »
Im back again with the glove issue. I seem to just be failing this in a miserable merry go round until on my way up here at some random hotel I met a female rider and asked her what she uses for gloves since my complaining, she said I should just go get some gloves from the snow shop, they're waterproof, keep your hands warm and do the trick, SNOW SHOP???? Was the last place to think of. Will check out SnowBiz soon.

I can get heated grips?  :runyay

Offline Old Steve

• Legendary Member
  • Social Touter
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2016, 12:36:48 PM »
You do need gloves with knuckle protection, and strong material over the palm of the glove because you'll put your hands palm down if you come off.  I can't recall if my ski-ing gloves ever had knuckle protection.
At my age you realise something very important, then ten minutes later you've forgotten it.

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2016, 01:28:18 PM »
As Old Steve said protection  ;-* They may be warm and even dry but not afford you any form of fall protection at speed.

Try these guys.....They are an OzSTOC preferred supplier so you get a10% discount when you advise your from OzSTOC.

http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=7697.0

There not el-cheapo gloves....but I doubt you will be in the market again in the near future  ;-*

cheers
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!