Author Topic: Diesel's LED Spot Lights.....  (Read 12177 times)

Offline Icor

• ST Legend
Re: Diesel's LED Spot Lights.....
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2013, 06:42:10 PM »
I have considered changing the main lights to hid. Is it worth it

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2013, 07:01:56 PM »
I had HIDs in my ST1100. definitely puts out more light, but the light is much more scattered.  Basically it just chucks out more light on high and low.  I had to lower the lights a fair bit to stop too much glare for others on low beam.   Something like H4s 60/55w +50 or more put out a decent amount of light with better beam pattern.

ST13 seems a bit better as it has better reflectors than the ST1100.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2013, 07:13:52 PM »
I have considered changing the main lights to hid. Is it worth it

Not if you want to keep your bike ADR compliant.

http://www.racq.com.au/motoring/cars/car_advice/car_fact_sheets/headlights

Aftermarket halogen to HID conversions are available however their use on a road registered vehicle will generally result in contravention of the relevant ADRs. Typically these ‘conversions’ comprise ballasts, wiring and HID globes that plug straight into the existing lamp.

Halogen lamps and their globes must comply with ADRs 46 and 51, while HID lamps and their globes must comply with a different set of requirements within ADRs 77 and 78. Interchanging globe types (such as putting HID globes into a lamp designed for a halogen globe) prevents continued compliance of the lamp/globe assembly.

In addition, ADR 13 requires that all vehicles fitted with headlamps (including HID) producing over 2,000 lumens (a measure of light output) have a self-levelling system and headlight washers. These simple retro conversions don’t provide these features and are therefore likely to be excessively glary to other road users.

If the vehicle manufacturer offered optional HID lights for a particular model then retrofitting the complete system including lamps, globes and the features required by ADR 13 to that model should be acceptable. But ‘grafting’ a full system between models or makes would impose performance certification requirements in the new application and is unlikely to be viable.

HID headlight conversions are not permitted under Qld legislation. However, it is not clear if other Australian states view the issue in the same way. If you operate in another state you should check requirements in your area.

Note also that Queensland's Dept. Transport and Main Roads (DTMR) advises that there is currently no legislation concerning HID conversion of driving lights.
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Icor

• ST Legend
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2013, 07:32:18 PM »
Thank you. Appreciate the honesty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2013, 10:16:06 AM »
I have added some four cree LEDs and can say I'm not that impressed with them.  Lots of complaints over the UHF about how bright they are from in front, but no penetration power to shine down the road. 

I wonder if this brings us full circle to the argument about the K colour value of the lights.
I have Narva spotties that throw a "non-incandescent white" light down the road and I get a good quality reflection back off vegetation etc (too much off road signs).  They also have a useful beam shape that I can accurately point just outside the beam of the Narva 60/55 Plus 120 headlight bulbs.
And they cost $99 for the pair.
I too get vehicles 3 kms away flashing their lights.  I flip the spotties off and can still see plenty with the high beam until they get to around 500 metres away (well outside the legally required 200 metres).
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2013, 10:05:25 PM »
OK - got a couple of pics of the LEDs at night......

Low Beam only (1st pic) - high beam and LEDs (2nd pic)...

I have to say that these LEDs don't have nearly the punch of the HID cannons I just removed - but their light weight and 'easy on amps' nature makes them a good addition. They are adequate, whereas the 55W HIDs were awesome.

Cheers, diesel
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2013, 10:00:42 AM »
For the price and weight the LEDs would do for many people.  Hopefully those really good (and expensive) LEDs will come down in price.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline STutter

• The Headless Horseman
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2013, 04:15:57 PM »
I just had a couple of the Jaycar LED spotties fitted and while I havent taken them out at the highway yet, they are quite good for the backroads.

I was suckered a little and get a family associate who owns an auto-electrics shop to do it and some minor other things.... $780 later, the spotlights etc are fitted.

I thought it was ridiculous and was clearly a 'learning on the job' bill. For example, he had to call me over to take the seat off. I should have bailed then.

Anyway, I wanted a good job done for the big trip coming up, but really, the best job is the one you do yourself.
So you think, so you shall become - Bruce Lee

Offline Icor

• ST Legend
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2013, 09:13:56 PM »
Are you going to keep the LEDs or go back to hid cannons.