Author Topic: Flashing lights  (Read 6677 times)

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania
Flashing lights
« on: November 25, 2013, 10:07:07 PM »
Sometime back I came across a white ST 1100 that was fitted with flashing lights, that is, the blinkers, driving lights, etc. flashed in a pattern somewhat similar to that of a police bike, except for the fact that they were not coloured as they would be on a police bike. I'm wondering about the legalities of fitting a flashing unit to our bikes, does anyone have information on this? Has any member fitted a flashing unit?
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
Re: Flashing lights
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 10:27:58 PM »
Orange strobes probably tolerated, but flashing headlight probably not ( all I need is a flasher can and a bit of wire to make the head light jobby)
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline tj189

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Brisbane
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 05:14:36 AM »
somewhere in the ADR's there is information about the use of a "flashing"  (there is a different term)  headlight for motorcycles.
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 05:18:40 AM »
somewhere in the ADR's there is information about the use of a "flashing"  (there is a different term)  headlight for motorcycles.

"Headlight Modulator" .......

:beer
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
  • Everything is improved with "Flashing lights"
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 05:52:25 AM »
In QLD is legal to have a Headlight Modulator and a rear flashing brake light. There are various stipulations around the flash rate and the colour of the lights however I believe that indicators if they flash at the correct rate and are amber are also fine.  Flashing driving lights would not be legal. Hazard lights that went around the bike in a pattern would be legal if and only if used in an appropriate situation.
A.
I acknowledge hardworking Australians no matter who they are or where they come from. All those who have contributed to this wonderful country deserve an equal share of gratitude for their contributions. To single any group of individuals out for special homage only denigrates the rest of us.

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 09:27:05 AM »

"Headlight Modulator" .......

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2006L00264/Html/Text#param156

77            Headlights to be fitted to vehicles

(3)   A motor bike may be equipped with a headlight modulation system that:

(a)    varies the brightness of its high-beam headlight or low‑beam headlight, but not both, at a rate of at least 200 and at most 280 flashes a minute; and

(b)    is designed to operate only in the daylight.

1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 09:30:05 AM »
I was thinking more along the lines of flashing lights that could be turned on or off at will, not a headlight modulator that is constanly flashing. I recently had an incident where I was overtaking a mobile home going downhill in an overtaking lane, "Eaglehawk Neck Hill", for those who might know it, travelling at about 110kph, when the mobile home decided he'd pull out to pass the vehicle in front of him, I had already passed the vehicle behind him so it was not like I had just pulled out. The guy obviously didn't see me, or just didn't look and pulled out just as I was overtaking the rear of his vehicle. He pulled out quite fast and I had no chance of slowing down to any extent as the hill is quite steep, so my only avenue of escape was to swerve on to the oncoming lane to avoid hitting him. Fortunately there was nothing coming in the opposite direction, in fact if there had been a vehicle coming in the oncoming lane then I would never have attempted to pass in the first place for safety reasons. I wondered later if I'd had flashing lights on the bike if he would have seen me coming, perhaps, perhaps not, who knows! I wouldn't like a headlight that was modulating constantly, but rather something that could be turned on and off, that could be used to give warning to a vehicle that a motorcycle was about to pass. Of course having a white Police bike, I'd probably scare the living daylight out of them, :cop but that would not be my intention, rather just to let them know, "move over buddy, I'm comin through"! :grin
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Offline Lionel

• Legendary Member
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 09:54:10 AM »
The usual method is to flash your high beam prior to overtaking.

Offline bloodbikes

• Legendary Member
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 01:56:49 PM »
I have strobe lights fitted to my ST, amber to the front and sides, these are for the purpose of motorcycle marshalling events. headlights can only flash via a modulator system as i understand it but you can have forward facing white strobes. all lights at the rear should be red or amber only.
Just fitting new led strobes to replace halogen type.

:wht11

Offline bloodbikes

• Legendary Member
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 02:00:58 PM »
Check these guys out good products and cheap prices too. Ask for Eugene.

http://emergencyvehiclelights.com.au/products.php?cat_id=6

:wht11

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 02:21:12 PM »
Did that prior to overtaking the first vehicle!

The usual method is to flash your high beam prior to overtaking.

Offline JuST Peter

• Quakers Hill NSW
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 06:46:15 PM »
There was a stand at the Sydney bike show that had LED's mounted like daytime running lights and also activated when the horn was blown Being a bit too far out of my price bracket I didn't take too much notice of who they were, but someone else maybe able to shed some light here.

As for flashing taillights, one of my products (when I was selling) was a brake light modulator which flashed rapidly for a couple of seconds before settling down to a steady "ON". As it never actually went off like school wig wags, there was no argument about its legality.
Ulysses #41044; OzSTOC #14
I love what I ride and ride what I love

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 07:32:23 PM »
For flashing headlights / strobes to work, the other guy first has to open his eyes and look
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline JuST Peter

• Quakers Hill NSW
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 08:02:16 PM »
I had a headlight mod on my Hornet 900, and it was surprising how many cage drivers actually DID see me, and some even pulled off to the side of the road if I was behind me  :grin

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
  • Everything is improved with "Flashing lights"
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 08:06:47 PM »
That's very true Brock.

I think the horn/flashing light combo is likely to be http://screaming-banshee.com/

Bloodbikes, I'm not sure you would get away with strobe driving lights, white or otherwise if the Police were of a mind. I have found over the years that there are heaps of rules and regulations surrounding lights and they can jump on you for all sorts of infractions, perceived or real.

As to the modulator, you can always turn it off and on, just not at night.

A.
I acknowledge hardworking Australians no matter who they are or where they come from. All those who have contributed to this wonderful country deserve an equal share of gratitude for their contributions. To single any group of individuals out for special homage only denigrates the rest of us.

Offline JuST Peter

• Quakers Hill NSW
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 08:23:51 PM »

As to the modulator, you can always turn it off and on, just not at night.

A.
My modulators were made by Kisantech in the USA, and all bar one were designed to utilise the high beam, so it could be turned off - back to low - when not required, such as in a group ride.

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2014, 05:00:57 PM »
For flashing headlights / strobes to work, the other guy first has to open his eyes and look

Quite often when you approach an intersection and a vehicle has stopped at the stop/give way sign (to the left or right of you) you may think that they are looking at you when in reality they are looking past you. Often moving things grab better attention. A friend of mine used to have a take-away shop and he would put rotating signs (wind powered), or even coloured balloons out front because the movement (and colour) would catch the eye of passing motorists. Many car sales yards use those 'coloured triangle flags on a line' to help catch the eye of passing motorists.

When I first started to ride.. if I had a driver approach a stop or give way sign to the left I would look at his eyes to see if he looked at me or past me.. if the timing was right and they looked past me then I would reposition the bike, wash some speed off, or anything to put me in a better position to avoid full impact. That worked well until the day I didn't pay attention and a car pulled out in front of me. The worst feeling for me is when the timing is bad.. and that's when a car pulls up quickly at a stop sign to the left just at the moment when I have little room for reaction.

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2014, 05:28:55 PM »
Many when taught or learning basic riding skills adapt a stable constant road position, however I prefer to wonder around a little approaching intersections that are a little blind to an approaching vehicle or when a vehicle is stationary at the intersection.

By moving around and even a flash of the headlights makes you stand out against a stationary background, many incidents of SMIDSY occour as we blend into a stationary background.

Add Hi-Vis, DRL and most importantly vigilance seams to give the best chance of riding again another day.

Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!