Author Topic: St1100 retrofit projectors  (Read 6764 times)

Offline nate

• Old skool
Re: St1100 retrofit projectors
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2014, 08:57:08 AM »
Hi Paul,

Just noticed the "finished" job. WOW, that does look good.  It seems that the frame idea from the HID forum isnt the way to go. Your idea of the brace around the mold frame looks to work much better.  What thickness acrylic sheet did you use? I'm guessing about 3/4mm? 

For me, the only addition would be to try to fit the original reflector, heavily modified and painted black back into the light base making a cleaner look. 

I've been thinking about the light cutoff issue as well, I'm going to add a couple of additional LED fog & spot lights to the boy.  If I get the dual intensity ones, I think that I can pretty much have my cake & eat it too!  :EatCake

Cheers!
Nate
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 09:01:56 AM by nate »
Nate (Nathan)
 :blk11

"You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding."

Offline pault

• ST
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2014, 11:32:19 AM »
i used 3mm acrylic industrial gradee uv stabilised did not use polycarbonate as looses heat to quick. still need to use headlight protector would go as usual

Offline Bikebear

• Legendary Member
  • Livin' it up in FNQ..
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2014, 05:37:42 PM »
I have an ST1100 light if you want it.. $15 + postage.
Craig..
STOC #8215
UC #42145
SCA#2478

Gold '99 ST1100A (Golden Brown), Black '04 VT750, Red '15 1800 Valkyrie (Hildr), Black '08 DN01

"Golden Brown finer temptress, Never a frown with Golden Brown"

Offline pault

• ST
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2014, 07:05:45 AM »
I presume you mean the whole thing?
sold if no one else wants it

Offline nate

• Old skool
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2014, 07:42:08 AM »
LOL was thinking the same thing!  Might save you sending one up Paul if I bought Craigs.  But since you called it first, your call.

cheers!
Nate
Nate (Nathan)

"You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding."

Offline pault

• ST
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2014, 08:16:43 PM »
Went for a ride tonight with my D2S HID projectors fitted. I live in a rural area so was on a a busy at this time of day winding road. I have the 4300k bulbs. I did not find the reflection from signs distracting as I have read that the higher spec bulbs do that.
wow i can actually see now.
height adjustment is critical otherwise one is annoying everybody.
in left handers i has no flashes from oncoming so must be good.
Only down side is I think a fog pointing up a bit and to the left is a good idea as it will enable one to see on left handers.
I already have this fog fitted years ago. Right handers no problem for me as I have always looked left to void oncoming traffic.
Low beam cut off is super sharp, not the fading out thing we are used to.
High beam on mine has a rising lump in the middle with heaps of distance and clear vision to boot
This project has taken some time and effort, flying blind at times but i worked it all out and am well pleased with result.
Has not been too expensive, will add up dockets and post $ later.

Offline Pezzz

• NR2016 Group
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • ST1100 Rider
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2014, 09:04:35 PM »
:popcorn

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

Pezzz
:wht11
FarRider # 730

Offline nate

• Old skool
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2014, 09:49:47 PM »
Hi Paul, do you have a photo yet of how it looks mounted? The ride report sounds good, looking forward to doing mine soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Nate (Nathan)

Offline pault

• ST
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2014, 06:35:57 PM »
Nate asked how it looks mounted. i have to confess I cheated. i have another bike devoid of plastic. I fitted my light to this other bike and away i went. Measuring every thing up the lens I made would not stick out past the fairing.
With the concrete plug the full size of the lens and placed on a piece of 9mm ply the same shape as the bottom of the plug. The acrylic will bend to form a radius at the bottom as it is pressed over the concrete. When i cut the lens off just above this bend It worked out to be the right size for my projectors. If one is using the H1 projectors you would have to measure everything first.

Now to $’s
35w hid fast start ballast    $100.60

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/151188200056?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

2.5” HID projectors  $100 pr

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/FX-R-HID-PROJECTOR-LENS-BI-XENON/505448791.html

bulbs  Phillips D2S  model # 85122
from The retrofit source  $95  pr  There are cheaper ones but from looking at forums they are not as good. These have 2yr warranty.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/components/bulbs/d2s-philips-85135.html#.VBqOSksWdz8

plugs for bulbs/HID  $15  pr  about same on ebay.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/accessories/amp-d2s-ballast-adapter-90-degree.html#.VBqRGEsWdz8

acrylic industrial grade uv proofed  450 by 350mm      $10  local mob

9mm ply and some 45 by 19 pine    $25   from bunnings

Total  $360.68.

stuff I already had
2mm aluminium for base
bunch drills, hole saw, drill press, files etc
kitchen oven, lots of time for first attempt.
would be easier now with experimenting done.
Please note I have used the D2S units which are not plug and play, need new base, plate.
The H1 units just screw in. I have enjoyed the challenge of the D2S.
and well pleased with result and value for $

Offline pault

• ST
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2014, 04:00:09 PM »
OK fitted for daily use
When fitting the acrylic lens to the shell I did not use glue. I figured silicon sealant and good tape would be a better option if I had to get the lens off again. Paid off as one of the shrouds fell forward and there was not enough vertical adjustment to bring the beams down to an acceptable level.
I took the shrouds out. i did not really like the “goth” look anyway. I fitted 4mm spacers to the top mounts of the D2S projectors to cure the beam alignment . This nearly worked 100%. It still wants fiddling so that the standard actually vertical adjuster works. Will look at surgery to the lower shell mounts.
When fitted there was a sizeable gap around the sides and bottom. I squeezed some soft rubber hose into the gap a piece of tape acres the top..  This seals only a temp thing. I have a much bigger project happening.I have another bike with 58k on it and my daily ride has 272k. So I m in process of combining the two.

I have used the 4300k bulbs for this project. Having used 6000k bulbs in the former set up. I can notice the difference in light reflected off signs. The 4300k bulbs do not reflect as much. Making the ride more comfortable. I have had to look the other way at times  with the 6000k version.
Penetration is fine, perhaps a bit sharper?.  Surely this must be a safety , less stress thing for those on longer rides. Driving professionally I am always looking at reducing stress levels, even early in the day’s work or riding as this pays off with a more relaxed me at the finish.