Author Topic: Tent & Camping Gear  (Read 20742 times)

terrydj

Re: Tent & Camping Gear
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2012, 08:31:10 AM »
ate those plastic things for the sidestand are just a gift. I've usd mine a zillion times. Get a hold of one of those plastic coil things that come with disk locks that you put from the lock to the handlebar. That way when your ready to take off you just grab it and its in your hand. And that 12v pumps best put where you can grab it first thing when you stop so its blowing up your air bag while your putting up you tent

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2012, 09:19:38 AM »
For food, you could try those freeze dried food packs available at camping disposal stores. They are similar to the modern Military ration packs (Aust not yank MREs), Just add boiling water to the packet, stir and let sit for a while and you have a hot meal in a bag.

I dont know how they taste, and they are a little exy
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline IanB

• Trundler
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2012, 04:02:51 PM »
So many ideas. (Especially from Diesel - just take everything,)
Three man tent will fit in top box. Single inflatable bed (make sure it is long enough for you, some are short) and rechargable air compressor - both woolies or k mart. My bed is sold under the camping gear of that Blue *&^%$$ Ettinghouser.
Minus 5 degree sleeping bag is small. Still room for clothes around this lot or as suggested put it on pillion seat.
FarRiding your not gonna want to be cooking or similar.
Get yourself a good thermos. Coffee tea when you want.
And a little tarp. I've blown up the matress, thrown the tarp over the top and slept on a table in one of the roadside picnic places.
And get a marine grade cigarette lighter thingo - and a cable to plug into it for your mobile. Can also be used for compressors with the right attachment but make sure the motor is running.
Never under estimate the predictability of stupidity.

terrydj

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2012, 05:17:24 PM »
They are similar to the modern Military ration packs (Aust not yank MREs), Just add boiling water to the packet, stir and let sit for a while and you have a hot meal in a bag.
When I did my military gig a dehidrated ration pack would be in the bin. Better things to do with the water I'd carry. Yeap can just imagine sitting down waiting for the water to boil so I could have a feed. Yah got to be able to eat on the run

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2012, 10:04:13 PM »
I have it on good authority, that the SAS in Iraq ate them with cold water. Reason being, the smell of hot beef curry would have carried for miles. They also had cold coffee.

Those guys dure are tough.. :eek :eek :eek
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline IanB

• Trundler
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2012, 11:06:59 PM »
Terry, you've done the "grunt" thing pls tell all the folks here how to live light for three days on a farRide.
one day out, another at lunch and one day home - how much do you reallyhave to carry.  Remember the west is far less populated than our side so include tucker.

terrydj

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2012, 12:47:07 PM »
I have it on good authority, that the SAS in Iraq ate them with cold water. Reason being, the smell of hot beef curry would have carried for miles. They also had cold coffee.

Those guys dure are tough.. :eek :eek :eek
Hmmm eating em cold eh. Suppose when they swelled in your guts because of the heat it must of been good. Worked with a frew of those blokes when  I done my time, actually shared a room with one. All I know is I'd never waste my time with em, none of the blokes I worked with would of carried em, but a pocket full of jelly babies and a heap of those packets of sugar you get at Maccas served their purpose really good at times.
Dunno about em being tough????? but do know they know how to do their job very very well.

terrydj

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2012, 12:55:28 PM »
Terry, you've done the "grunt" thing pls tell all the folks here how to live light for three days on a farRide.
one day out, another at lunch and one day home - how much do you reallyhave to carry.  Remember the west is far less populated than our side so include tucker.

Mate theirs not much to a Faride me thinks. When I'm travelling I stop when I want to, rest when I want to, and do what I want to. All I know is that I adverage around the 85KPH no matter how many times I stop or eat or whatever, lke 13hrs to do 1000 kays. I have always in my tank bag my fuel stove, one of those tubes of coffee and milk, som bikkies, muesli bars, and cans of food and a few lighters, so when I stop I can always have a cuppa and a feed no matter where I am. I also have a least one bottle of water somewhere as well and my Touring jacket has a camelbak built into it.
As to the living light???????? well when I did the Faride thing I just slept on the side of the road like normal, but the ledgends and experts that were on the same faride that spent ages telling me at a stop about so called Faride motels and stuff all slept at Motels or Caravan Park cabins??????.
So I wreckon leave the living light to the ledgends and experts and just gear up and go for it
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 12:58:57 PM by terrydj »

Offline IanB

• Trundler
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2012, 07:27:36 PM »
trouble with the rations is they are designed to stop body functions. Eat and then don't expect to crap for a while.
FarRides are just a little over rated by some people. Good day out with Diesel et al is usually a bit over 400 klicks with two stops. then there is the ride home so you may have confortably clocked 500k. you can stop then and do the next 500 the following day.

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2012, 09:12:17 PM »
trouble with the rations is they are designed to stop body functions. Eat and then don't expect to crap for a while.
FarRides are just a little over rated by some people. Good day out with Diesel et al is usually a bit over 400 klicks with two stops. then there is the ride home so you may have confortably clocked 500k. you can stop then and do the next 500 the following day.

Well Diesel and i are planning my first FarRide to Nambucca heads, but that is a sensible 1000km in 24 hours, i am not sure if i will get to the 2000km in 24 hours mark, but i do enjoy a challenge.

we all like different things  :)
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2012, 09:17:30 PM »
I plan on getting to Nambucca Heads on the Friday night then finishing off in the morning.  I will have gone from Canberra to Bathurst in the meantime though to get to my starting point just for a ride to start things off.

400 with two stops?? that is more like a latte ride.  When I get going I don't stop much, hence the lack of photos and ride reports..thats my story anyway.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

terrydj

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2012, 06:29:56 AM »
You know, everyone I met on the road that does big kays always does them the same. Now not talking about fariders just others I have met since the early seventies. They all start off when the sun starts to show. That way buy lunchtime the've done say 550/600 kays. Have some lunch, maybe a bit of a kip, and then maybe another 400 by say around the 7.00/7.30pm mark. None of em count how long they stop. All of em fill up on petrol when they stop, all of em stop when they want and all of em take the time to look around. Works for  everytime.

Offline IanB

• Trundler
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2012, 12:11:53 PM »
Made that start at sun up - big mistake. Coming back from Adeliade was set for an ironbutt. Cruised gently and was on target till the bloody goats took out my average for a 200km stretch. Then the guy who cleans up the roo carcasses suggested a stop for the night. Seems he was a very busy boy.  Sun up following day hit road to try a restart but was going east and guess what had a beautiful sunrise and after emblazoned on the eyeballs and those bloody furry things at the side of the road hadn't gone to bed. Made two 1200km days but the extra 400kms went awol
Lesson learnt - next time go west for the majority I think then turn back when the suns well up.

terrydj

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2012, 12:19:45 PM »
Mate I'd give it away. Cant ride in the morning???? cant ride into the sun, cant ride at night, me thinks you should get a boat :rofl
But "WOW" to do 1200 kays when you cant leave in the morning or ride at night is bloody huge

Offline IanB

• Trundler
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2012, 12:35:29 PM »
Give it away  - sorry Terry find that one a little hard to swallow.
Just bad planning on my behalf.
Didn't realise the road was going to put the sun directly on the centre line as it came up.
And for most of the early hours it was ride with one hand up trying to block it.
Followed a truck from 8.30pm till 9.30pm trying to use it as a bulldozer but got tired of dodging the roadkill.  As the bloke predicted.
Next time early rise go west with sun behind then back east with sun behind. Sounds like a plan for the nambucca ride.
Cruise around 110/120 and given stops it comes back on your 85kph average.
Any faster and  I'm tiring myself from the extra concentration. Seems without trying the bike sets a comfy pace for chewing the kms.
think we've hijacked this thread for long enough. Back to streak and his camping needs,eh

Online Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2012, 12:38:11 PM »

I have always in my tank bag my fuel stove, one of those tubes of coffee and milk, som bikkies, muesli bars, and cans of food and a few lighters, so when I stop I can always have a cuppa and a feed no matter where I am. I also have a least one bottle of water somewhere as well and my Touring jacket has a camelbak built into it.

You didn't mention the AEROSOL SPRAY PAINT CANS you used to decorate your digs for the night Terry.     :rofl   
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline IanB

• Trundler
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2012, 12:48:59 PM »
Nice ride ya got coming up Saaz. Had to do Melbourne Bathurst (pissed rain all the way from pucka) just three days after buying a motoguzzi lemans with the concrete seat. Photographed the Easter bike races and then had to turn around on the Tuesday morning and do it again to get back to work by 6pm.
There used to be an awesome corner on the Olympic way. huge long curve I can remember gassing the guzzi through to an exit speed of 180 but have done the road three times since and can't find it. Bummer.
Really really thankful now for the comforts of an ST.

Offline innet57

• ST Freak
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2012, 01:21:19 PM »
As for distance - though I've regularly done 1,000 to 1,200k in a day to get somewhere by a certain time, my preference is to keep down around 800k. For me the ride is definitely about the ride, but probably more about the camaraderie. I like to be off the bike by around 4.30 - 5pm and on the verandah of some pub somewhere bullshitting about the ride and the World in general. I don't care about getting a shower or a feed, I just want to talk to someone after spending 10 hrs plus locked inside a helmet.

As for the camping equipment - forget the swag - they're too big too carry and too small to fit your gear inside or get dressed in in the morning when it's pissing down outside. Get at least a 2 or 3 man tent so you have room for your gear inside and are still able to get your gear on inside before emerging into the elements.

For a bed, my preference is for a 3/4 self inflating mattress, probably not as comfortable as an inflatable mattress, but easier to inflate without the necessity of taking a pump of some kind and easy to pack down to a reasonable size. Be warned though, the cheap variety self-inflatable is not worth having, they are either too thin or the outer shell is too flexible so they turn into a quasi-inflatable that doesn't work at all. I've tried a few and my current one is a Black Wolf which is good. You can get full length but it's just that bit more packing space.

For a sleeping bag, ensure you get one big enough to fit comfortably into and it's very handy if they come with one of those compressible bags, so you can pull it down to minimal size to save packing space. I prefer to be able to get all of the above and my cooking gear into my Top Box, but if I take the 3 man tent, I have to put it across the back seat because the spars are to long to fit.
Wayne Tenni
If this is as good as it gets .... it ain't too bad.

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2012, 03:12:30 PM »
Beatup, the Olympic Way is not too bad a road these days, but I haven't done the full length for ages.  The trucks may use the Hume and cut up inland a bit more these days.  The Bathurst-Taralga road is a ripper these days, as is the Gunning-Collector road (there is one corner where you have to watch your head as their is a guide post ride on the apex).  If I start at a decent time I will do both. Doing those roads does not feel like you have done any distance when you stop.

:hijacked

I have always had a thing for Guzzis since seeing a few 850s and thinking they would make a great touring bike (but at the time I had a Honda CD175 so anyhting bigger looked like a touring bike). Latest ones look reliable and functional, but still quirky.  Perhaps I should never ride one as my dreams may be shattered. The stelvio with the big tank looks like a good adventure bike.

:wht11

And just back on the camping thing. These days I carry a compact dome tent (if required) and a thermarest and sleeping bag.  Compact cooking gear and a few tins and supplies (if required)   :eat.  All fits within lockable storage on the bike. If I don't take the topbox the sleeping bag and thermarest get tied on the back seat.  For trips doing more the tourist/riding thing, some more thing are strapped to the seat to allow for more items you need.  I have two gearsacks, so they can be called on the be my extra waterproof storage.  The topbox is really handy, as it can hold ice and beer/softdrink/milk cold for ages  :beer.  I used to use a tankbag on the GS1000, but with lockable storage on the ST I prefer that.  I have some beestem saddlebag liners that I have yet to use, but will set them up so it is easier to take things inside.

I used to use a gearsack and throw over saddlebags, and they work fine as well.  Well, I used a cheap duffle bag first up but I carry more things these days   ::)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 03:31:14 PM by saaz »
John
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline IanB

• Trundler
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2012, 05:20:22 PM »
comments abt compression bags are worth noting.
Amazing how small a package the bags become.
And more importantly if you like changing clothes regularly they make it into a small neat parcel for stowing.
different sizes at the camping shops.

Offline Malcolm6112

• Legendary Member
  • Armadale WA
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2012, 06:34:09 PM »
With it being 1000k, why not do that in a day?
Then you don't have to carry so much gear.

:blu13
Malcolm
2004  ST1300A

Farrider 518
IBA       58213

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2012, 07:00:37 PM »
We have certain times we have to do it in, we cannot start until 12.30pm so we thought 500 first day, 500 second makes good sense
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2012, 07:43:40 PM »
You could do it in a day and do 500 there and 500 back (or 500 to anywhere else really) but then you don't get to stay around where everyone else is.  Just depends on what you want to do really.  You could live next door to the check in and then go 1000kms somewhere else if that is what you wanted.  Just depends if you want formal recognition of the ride, or just ride.  I went to a few events without bothering to meet any particular requirements.

I am hanging around to get Streak to shout all the Ozstoc members all night :)
John
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2012, 07:47:24 PM »