Author Topic: Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Tab and GPS  (Read 8846 times)

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Tab and GPS
« on: February 16, 2012, 07:31:56 PM »
A galaxy tab in the top of a tank bag would make a good GPS (if it had a stand alone GPS instead of assisted) cos I could see it with out glasses..  :thumbs :thumbs

My partner has just got her new phone. It's a Samsung 580 which is an android phone with all the whizz bang smartphone stuff. As part of the deal a 10.1 galaxy tab was included. To us it seemed a better deal than the Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone which led us to looking for a better deal.

There are two versions of the Tab, one is 3G like and can be used like a normal phone and the other is wi-fi which is the one we have. In simple terms one version is phone based the other is netbook based. I've had both phone and tab connected via our home wireless network. Both can connect to my PC via bluetooth, usb and wifi providing the software is installed on the pc.

Both have A-GPS which is not much use on a wifi only system and use google maps but in the GPS settings menu there is an option just to use GPS for location alone.

Just to see what else was available I did a search for GPS freeware and came up with this

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.navfree.android.OSM.ALL

Which I have downloaded and installed on both phone and the Tab. It didn't seem to install the first time so I did it again and it installed then downloaded maps and installed them. Same for the phone. Both worked ok as for GPS showing my location on the map. I have tested the phone for setting route and for guidence to our local supermarket and it worked ok on GPS alone. Also re-routing works as I purposely went past point I had set on the map. The only downside is that it needs a data connection to search for an address, but while your home and connected via wifi or one of the free wifi hot spots then it's ok.

It's free and other features are coming but it does what it says it does, navigates by GPS independant of your network.  The tab is to large to go on the bike, but the phone is ok and will do if my stand alone Mio Moov GPS fails.

1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania
Re: Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Tab and GPS
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 08:24:40 PM »
I originally downloaded "Navfree" on to my iPhone and at first I thought "great" because it was free :)..........but, it didn't take long to realize, it's not really up to it! :( It just didn't give the voice promps that it should have. >:( I have since downloaded another iPhone application called "Metroview" for the incredible cost of $14.99, and it's fantastic. :thumb It's an Australian application and the voice promps, which are accurate and clear, are in an Aussie accent. I have it bluetoothed to my Camos headset and I'm very impressed with it. Like all GPS phone applications it uses heaps of power so it needs to be powered by the bike battery.

I hope you find the "Navfree" more useful than I did!
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
Re: Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Tab and GPS
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 09:08:11 PM »
For me adding the navfree was a matter of interest only. I will use my Mio Moov as first preference anytime. But if I was in a city like Perth or Sydney and my GPS failed then the GPS on the phone would be a good back up.

The tab would be okay when touring, can load music into it, word processor etc comes in handy for keeping log of trip etc., can use it for HD (720p) photos and videos (but my Fuji camera does it in 1080p) of where you've been then downloaded to PC when you get back home. It's smaller and lighter than taking the laptop and can be placed in topcase.

And I was thinking I couldn't need one of these. :thumbsup

1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1