Author Topic: Look what arrived!!!  (Read 11137 times)

Offline Down Under

Look what arrived!!!
« on: February 18, 2012, 10:09:01 AM »
It's been 6 long weeks of waiting but my new Wilbers rear shock has finally arrived!   :runyay

As I've decided to keep my ST for another 2 years or so, I thought I'd to go all out on a decent rear shock.  Should get around to installing it early next week.  I'll post some pics of the shock surgery, followed by a ride report.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 10:12:16 AM by Down Under »

Offline West Aussie Glen

• old fart
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Willetton, Perth
Re: Look what arrived!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 10:24:50 AM »
If it performs as good as it looks I am sure you will be happy with it.
Glen
Sold
1948 James 98cc 2 Speed, 1969 Suzuki A100-2
1970 Suzuki T250 Hustler, Honda CL100
Yamaha RD250C, 1985 Kawasaki GPZ250
BMW K75S, 78 Yamaha XS11
Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe, 88 GL1500
99 SE GL1500
In the shed
85 Kawasaki LTD250
88 GL1500 Outfit
08 ST1300
2013 GL1800
2013 GL1800 Outfit

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 11:03:24 AM »
Cool...
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Brian

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • ST Immortal
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 11:05:08 AM »
so whats wrong if anything with what Mr Honda designed and fitted?
I jus wanna ride my bike

09 ST1300 Charcoal Metallic (Grey GhoST)
09 ST1300 Candy Glory Red (Red MiST)

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 11:21:40 AM »
Just wondering if you had a problem with the original shockie :well and if so............??
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Offline Down Under

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 12:47:05 PM »
Just wondering if you had a problem with the original shockie :well and if so............??

I've always felt that the rear shock on the ST1300 was a bit undersprung for 2 up riding and the rear shock rebound damper just didn't have the range of adjustment to cope with our rough roads.  After riding close to 30,000 kms, I thought the front and rear suspension was starting to feel a bit tired and could do with a freshen up.  I gave the bike the full Racetech treatment with a focus on setting the spring rates and valving specifically for 2 up riding. 

I replaced the OEM springs with 1.2kg standard rate springs and gold valve emulators.  I had the OEM rear shock rebuilt with a slightly heavier spring and gold valve emulator.  It made a big difference, especially to the front end.   On good roads the bike handled like it was on rails and amazingly it was much more stable in dirty air.  The rear shock rebuild was an improvement on OEM but it still rode a bit harsh, especially on rough surfaces.  After a long day in the saddle on our finest regional roads.....NOT.....the rear shock lack of performance was really noticeable.   

After experiencing the moderate improvement in ride quality and handling with a budget suspension rebuild, I'm convinced that the ride could be even better with a top end rear shock that has a greater range of adjustment.  So as the bike is now nudging 50,000 kms I thought I'd put my money where my mouth is and take the plunge on a 3 way adjustable Wilbers rear shock.  It's an expensive experiment but from the research I've done it would indicate that its worth it.

If I lived in another part of Oz where the roads weren't too bad I'd probably stick with the Racetech set up, but the poor quality roads around my area prompted me to look for something better.  I'm not bagging out the OEM suspension set up, it just didn't do the job for the riding I do

Tony   
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 12:57:10 PM by Down Under »

rendog

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 04:30:39 PM »
Honda's are renowned among suspension gurus as being under sprung and over damped.  :o
Wilbers are a quality company too, so no worries there.  :thumbsup
There are two adjusters. Are they for rebound & damping? Or does one do preload?

Offline Down Under

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 10:03:04 AM »
Honda's are renowned among suspension gurus as being under sprung and over damped.  :o
Wilbers are a quality company too, so no worries there.  :thumbsup
There are two adjusters. Are they for rebound & damping? Or does one do preload?

The adjuster in the top right of the pic is the compression pre-load adjuster.  It'll replace the OEM adjuster.  The cylinder on the left is for controlling high/low speed spring compression.  Compression damping controls the speed at which the spring compresses when you hit a bump or pot hole, or when the bike is squatting under hard acceleration (the later feature wont wont apply to the ST  :grin).  At the bottom of the shock, the rebound damping is adjusted by a rotating dial.  This will be a pain to access but once it's all set up I shouldn't have to fiddle with it too much.

terrydj

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 07:04:44 AM »
Now it's times like this I sometimes wish I was mechanical minded :|||| I could ask all these questions like ???? and???? and other interesting stuff. All I know is that I think it has 2 parts that mine hasn't got, and it's prettier :thumbsup

Offline Down Under

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 10:08:13 AM »

Finally got around to installing the new shock.  I've posted some pics etc in the ST1300 part of the forum for anyone whose interested.

Tony