Author Topic: Johhny Appleseed - Drone  (Read 1383 times)

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
Johhny Appleseed - Drone
« on: May 01, 2020, 09:47:32 AM »
I just want to give everyone the heads up for this weekend. Johnny Appleseed has a Labour Day sale with 15% off across the board. I have bought some camera stuff in recent weeks and have been researching a 'drone' purchase and have been monitoring pricing (from many sources, not just Johnny Appleseed). I have been pleasantly surprised at how efficient they have been with their deliveries (quick to post), and postage price has been quite reasonable. I have actually received some items the very next day after an afternoon purchase. Although, in these cases I have used priority post I have found many eBay sellers take a few days just to post the item.
 I made a purchase last night of the DJI Mavic Mini combo pack (the combo pack cost a $200 more but includes 2 extra batteries, a multi-charger, extra spare blades, a case and some other bits). The standard pricing for this drone pack is $799, but I saved $119 due to this sale. It's hard to find DJI stuff below their standard pricing, so to get it $119 cheaper is a big discount. Johnny Appleseed also sell the more expense motorbike camera and phone mounts, so now is the time to buy from them if you want the good quality stuff.

https://www.ja-gps.com.au/DJI/mavic-mini-fly-more-combo/

The fantastic Insta360 R One camera that I bought from them a few weeks ago would also now be 15% cheaper. My recommendation is to buy the twin pack so that you can choose between the 360 degree camera function and a 4K camera function. I bought the selfie stick that belongs to that camera but realised that the selfie stick from the previous model Insta360 X is a fair bit longer, but both are well made and will give more camera angle options for bike videos.

The sale only lasts this weekend.

Why I bought the DJI Mavic Mini Combo pack. I do a lot of research on 'stuff' before i buy. I would have liked a 4K camera BUT to edit 4K you need a powerful computer. At the moment I don't have one that powerful. DJI sells two cameras (closest in price to their Mavic Mini) at the moment that are 4K. The Mavic Air (superceded) and the just released Mavic Air 2. The Mavic Air 2 can shoot video at 4K and 60 fps but try editing that on a home computer! The Mavic Air combo pack (superceded) is currently still available at Hervey Norman for a fair price of $1199, but the new Air 2 combo pack is $1799.

The cheaper Mavic Mini is tiny and folds nice and small and is ideal for carrying on a bike, but it's video quality is surprisingly good (2.5K, 30 FPS). It is quieter than the Mavic Air (superceded).
Both of these points are important because the small size means that you are more likely to be able to carry it with you, and the low noise gets less attention and if you're a nervous flyer then you will be more likely to want to fly it.
DJI has a reputation for building quality drones that fly very well and the Mini is no exception.

I have no association with JA other than being very happy with my purchases.

Regards
Rodd

The following users thanked this post: ruSTynutz

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
Re: Johhny Appleseed - Drone
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 12:17:10 PM »
I have a Mini, bought in Jan. Its an excellent machine and takes great video and is very stable.

Do not fly too high, as it can be caught by strong upper winds and be very difficult to recover. There is a great app called Airdata UAV, that can get a lot of information of the operation of the drone. Where it has been, explanation of error codes ( that you may not even have noticed)

I will link to a fun shot a little later when I find it, but in the mean time here is an unedited video

https://youtu.be/pf_nDZVc8GM
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 12:30:31 PM »
Thanks Brock. Yes, that is quite nice video quality.

I watched a video this morning where a fellow took his out into strong winds of 15 to 25 or 30 mph. He had some scary moments and it is something to be aware of with such a light weight drone.

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
    • "Destined to Drive" Driving School
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 12:44:15 PM »
I bought my Lexin bluetooth headset from them. They had the best price at the time and delivery was also pretty quick... :thumbsup

2005 Honda ST1300A

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
    • "Destined to Drive" Driving School
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 02:06:08 PM »
I just want to give everyone the heads up for this weekend. Johnny Appleseed has a Labour Day sale with 15% off across the board. I have bought some camera stuff in recent weeks and have been researching a 'drone' purchase and have been monitoring pricing (from many sources, not just Johnny Appleseed). I have been pleasantly surprised at how efficient they have been with their deliveries (quick to post), and postage price has been quite reasonable. I have actually received some items the very next day after an afternoon purchase. Although, in these cases I have used priority post I have found many eBay sellers take a few days just to post the item.
 I made a purchase last night of the DJI Mavic Mini combo pack (the combo pack cost a $200 more but includes 2 extra batteries, a multi-charger, extra spare blades, a case and some other bits). The standard pricing for this drone pack is $799, but I saved $119 due to this sale. It's hard to find DJI stuff below their standard pricing, so to get it $119 cheaper is a big discount. Johnny Appleseed also sell the more expense motorbike camera and phone mounts, so now is the time to buy from them if you want the good quality stuff.

https://www.ja-gps.com.au/DJI/mavic-mini-fly-more-combo/

The fantastic Insta360 R One camera that I bought from them a few weeks ago would also now be 15% cheaper. My recommendation is to buy the twin pack so that you can choose between the 360 degree camera function and a 4K camera function. I bought the selfie stick that belongs to that camera but realised that the selfie stick from the previous model Insta360 X is a fair bit longer, but both are well made and will give more camera angle options for bike videos.

The sale only lasts this weekend.

Why I bought the DJI Mavic Mini Combo pack. I do a lot of research on 'stuff' before i buy. I would have liked a 4K camera BUT to edit 4K you need a powerful computer. At the moment I don't have one that powerful. DJI sells two cameras (closest in price to their Mavic Mini) at the moment that are 4K. The Mavic Air (superceded) and the just released Mavic Air 2. The Mavic Air 2 can shoot video at 4K and 60 fps but try editing that on a home computer! The Mavic Air combo pack (superceded) is currently still available at Hervey Norman for a fair price of $1199, but the new Air 2 combo pack is $1799.

The cheaper Mavic Mini is tiny and folds nice and small and is ideal for carrying on a bike, but it's video quality is surprisingly good (2.5K, 30 FPS). It is quieter than the Mavic Air (superceded).
Both of these points are important because the small size means that you are more likely to be able to carry it with you, and the low noise gets less attention and if you're a nervous flyer then you will be more likely to want to fly it.
DJI has a reputation for building quality drones that fly very well and the Mini is no exception.

I have no association with JA other than being very happy with my purchases.

Regards
Rodd

Looks like there is a bit of a sales push on these as I just received an email from JB HiFi...  :beer

https://tinyurl.com/y99bxqjm

2005 Honda ST1300A

Offline RubenCan

• Tipovers = 3.
  • Legendary Member
  • 1992 ST 1100
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2020, 02:22:18 PM »
I have a Mini, bought in Jan. Its an excellent machine and takes great video and is very stable.

Do not fly too high, as it can be caught by strong upper winds and be very difficult to recover. There is a great app called Airdata UAV, that can get a lot of information of the operation of the drone. Where it has been, explanation of error codes ( that you may not even have noticed)

I will link to a fun shot a little later when I find it, but in the mean time here is an unedited video

https://youtu.be/pf_nDZVc8GM

Wow Brock, that is amazing clarity of video and equally amazing stability. I can just imagine myself riding down the highway whilst being followed and filmed by the drone. Love it, maybe you can showcase it at the next Nat Rally
Ruben
 :dred11   :blu13  :
1st Bike - 1980 Honda CB250N
2nd Bike - 1978 Suzuki GS750
3rd Bike - The current STeed 1992 ST1100
4th Bike - Also current Steed 2015 F6B
5th Bike - Also current STeed 2005 ST1300
Ulysses # 61761 StGeorge Sutherland Branch
OZSToc # 145

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2020, 03:15:45 PM »
It can only do 17KPH, but a Mini could catch the bikes on certain predetermined places.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

The following users thanked this post: RubenCan

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2020, 03:25:17 PM »
The Mavic Mini doesn't do well with 'follow me' mode I don't think (from the video's that I have seen). The new Mavic Air 2 does, and it does a pretty good job, but in the video that I saw where it was being trialed in 'follow me' mode it ended up hitting a tree. There is another drone called the Skydio 2 and apparently it is excellent at 'follow me'. They sell it in the states, but not here. I have seen comments that they are looking at selling it here. In the U.S. it has sold for around $1000, so that means that in Australia the price will probably be $3 million (Sarcasm). I have seen some impressive videos of the Skydio drones. The Mavic Air 2 is selling for $1899 and if you buy it from Johnny Appleseed I think you have to wait until late June. If I could have got hold of the Skydio 2 then it would have been a hard decision due to the extra cost over the Mavic Mini, but it seemed to perform better than the new Mavic Air 2 in the video that I saw (4k clear video, too) and likely cheaper.

The following users thanked this post: RubenCan

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2020, 07:45:18 PM »
Mini has no follow me function, it can sort of do it in the circle mode but is easily confused. Its really a high quality entry level drone that is very good at what it can do. It packs down very small, so is perfect for carrying on a bike when travelling and is pretty quick to setup. The ability to edit on the phone is not bad, but its not very easy to see for seamless video.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline West Aussie Glen

• old fart
  • Willetton, Perth
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2020, 09:16:19 AM »
An interesting review:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90M59HSXp3Q

No talk about zoom?
Glen
Sold
1948 James 98cc 2 Speed, 1969 Suzuki A100-2
1970 Suzuki T250 Hustler, Honda CL100
Yamaha RD250C, 1985 Kawasaki GPZ250
BMW K75S, 78 Yamaha XS11
Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe, 88 GL1500
99 SE GL1500
In the shed
85 Kawasaki LTD250
88 GL1500 Outfit
08 ST1300
2013 GL1800
2013 GL1800 Outfit

Offline West Aussie Glen

• old fart
  • Willetton, Perth
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2020, 09:31:29 AM »
Interesting CASA Drone site:-

https://www.casa.gov.au/knowyourdrone
Glen
Sold
1948 James 98cc 2 Speed, 1969 Suzuki A100-2
1970 Suzuki T250 Hustler, Honda CL100
Yamaha RD250C, 1985 Kawasaki GPZ250
BMW K75S, 78 Yamaha XS11
Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe, 88 GL1500
99 SE GL1500
In the shed
85 Kawasaki LTD250
88 GL1500 Outfit
08 ST1300
2013 GL1800
2013 GL1800 Outfit

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2020, 11:16:47 AM »
The mini has no Zoom, if you want a close up you fly in. Its a verrrrry easy drone to fly for a first timer.

As for CASA, dont get caught...  Really though, the test is easy, most of the answers are common sense. A drone operators licence can be had for a few grand.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA