Author Topic: Front Fork Upgrade  (Read 3134 times)

Offline horizontal

• just a lost sock in the laundramat of life
Front Fork Upgrade
« on: August 17, 2012, 02:39:58 PM »
Since buying the 13 I have felt the front end less than ideal.  Soooo I have just ordered Racetech springs & stage 1 gold valve kit.  I got them  from Shock Treatment in nsw.  The suprising thing is the lot was $100 cheaper than buying from Racetech in the us.
 Will let you know how it all goes.
                                              Cheers Greg :grin
the older i get the better i was

Maverick75

Re: Front Fork Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 09:54:13 AM »
I'm thinking of the same kit for my 1100 Greg. It'll be interesting to hear your results.

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 11:02:55 AM »
On the ST11 I would do the springs and the gold valve emulator on the anti dive side of the bike (it has a damper rod). I did replace the shims in the other side (it has a damper cartridge) but they looked little different to what was in there, so no point wasting the money. The emulator lets the front forks go through their full range without hardening up (which the damper rod does). Rides much better on rougher roads.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Maverick75

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 11:11:15 AM »
Good advice Saaz. Cheers.

Offline Down Under

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 02:01:13 PM »
Since buying the 13 I have felt the front end less than ideal.  Soooo I have just ordered Racetech springs & stage 1 gold valve kit.  I got them  from Shock Treatment in nsw.  The suprising thing is the lot was $100 cheaper than buying from Racetech in the us.
 Will let you know how it all goes.
                                              Cheers Greg :grin

What spring rate did RT supply for your weight?

Tony

Offline horizontal

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 05:44:09 PM »
 I ordered the .90kg ones which is their suggestion for my weight 75kg.  The reason Iam doing this is I felt the front was too  soft on compression &had to much rebound.  interestingly enough I have been told that when  they (honda) went from the 11 to the 13 they actally installed smaller valving etc. A lot of guys who changed to 13s from11s complained and were told no its all the same.
 I will have to wait till next Friday to get the kit as one item is coming from the us.
                                                                 Cheers Greg

Offline Tipsy

• Landed Gentry
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Laurie
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 06:00:12 PM »
 :wht11 py
Hey up a fat guy hear in bad need of new front rebuild would like web site addy.
me 126kkg even gd back shock need doin.

Tipsy
I am lost and haves gone to find myself
Now If I get back before I return
Please ask me to wait.

Offline Down Under

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 07:59:45 PM »
I ordered the .90kg ones which is their suggestion for my weight 75kg.  The reason Iam doing this is I felt the front was too  soft on compression &had to much rebound.  interestingly enough I have been told that when  they (honda) went from the 11 to the 13 they actally installed smaller valving etc. A lot of guys who changed to 13s from11s complained and were told no its all the same.
 I will have to wait till next Friday to get the kit as one item is coming from the us.
                                                                 Cheers Greg

You'll notice a big difference.  I started with RT's stage 1 gold valve kit and 1.2kg/mm springs on my ST13.  I weigh 100 kgs and at the time was doing a lot of 2 up riding.  For solo riding I found the springs a bit too hard and changed them for a Wilbers two stage spring.  The first 40 mm's of the springs stroke is 0.95kg/mm and then 1.1kg/mm after that.  They work really well.  I had to muck around with the spacer lengths to get the compression right but the extra cost has been worth it.  I agree the OEM springs are a bit too soft and I found the brake dive annoying as well.  Good luck with the new set up.

Tony

Offline horizontal

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 04:37:02 PM »
Hi Tipsy,
     just google race tech. hope this helps.
                                               Greg

Offline horizontal

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 04:39:09 PM »
Tipsy,
  do you want to rebuild and upgrade your rear shock or replace it?

Offline Tipsy

• Landed Gentry
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Laurie
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 05:51:14 PM »
Tipsy,
  do you want to rebuild and upgrade your rear shock or replace it?

I think an upgrade of the rear shock might be in order depending on the difference in price between a rebuild or new.
And a definite rebuild is in order for the front and was thinking if the progressive type

Tipsy
I am lost and haves gone to find myself
Now If I get back before I return
Please ask me to wait.

Offline horizontal

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 02:59:48 PM »
Sorry it took so long to post my thoughts on up grade.  this mod has completly changed the 13 it now rides over bumps as if they wernt there.
 Its a little harsh round town but i have set it up for highway work. This is the best thing you can do to any bike even if you get the stockers re valved etc. A big thanks to Steve from Suspension  Improvements Slacks  Creek for all the hard work and advise. He really knows his s**t. He had the oportunity to talk me into progressive springs but didnt. He also rebuilt revalved and gave my rear shock a little taste of nitrogen about 12mnths ago. his parting comment was this will show up the front which it did.
 Tipsy maybe look at getting your stocker rebuilt with the correct rate spring for you.  Mine cost approx $550 with out spring. I baulked at wilbers etc simply because it am confussed enough as it is with out high & lowspeed damping etc.
                                                           Cheers Greg