Author Topic: Single Seat missing support blocks - require assistance  (Read 2660 times)

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
  • Everything is improved with "Flashing lights"
Single Seat missing support blocks - require assistance
« on: May 12, 2014, 04:55:03 PM »
John Moorehouse has been modifying my single seat so it is a bit lower and we have had trouble getting it to sit right on the bike. On investigation it would appear that for some unknown reason QPS removed the support blocks under the seat.
It would appear that these blocks can't be bought without the seat so I have purchased a large piece of compressed neoprene rubber. My intent is to make replacement blocks, only trouble is I have no idea how thick they should be.
Could some kind sole with a single seat measure the thickness of the blocks under the seat (I think the front ones are thicker than the rear) and advise me accordingly.
Thanks in advance,
A.
I acknowledge hardworking Australians no matter who they are or where they come from. All those who have contributed to this wonderful country deserve an equal share of gratitude for their contributions. To single any group of individuals out for special homage only denigrates the rest of us.

Offline Bluey

• Burleigh Heads, Qld
Re: Single Seat missing support blocks - require assistance
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 06:37:55 PM »
What I would do is get some plasticene (or similar) and put some big lumps where the blocks are supposed to be, then fit the seat, with the metal loop sitting at the bottom of the lock and the front spigot (attached to the fuel tank) sitting in its cubby hole in the front of the seat, then measure the thickness of the resulting "squished" putty. Cut your foam (the original are a quite hard rubber, not a foam) to the measured thickness.

Same principle at "plasti-guage"

I'm away from the bike at the moment, but I'll try to measure if method this doesn't appeal to you.
'99 ST1100

Offline johnnyYTED

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • STranger 1100 n BEEstY 1330cc
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 06:43:40 PM »
 :dred11
Totgas the rubber blocks under my seat are  Length 5cm x  Width 1cm x depth 1.5cm on front   rear    lenght 5 cm x2cm width and 1 cm depth

top of pic is front of seat.  hope this helps  :thumbs
Picton  if it doesn’t flood higher than previous times.
mobile 047 4488 436 
IBA#59147, FarRider #732
STranger 1998 ST1100, x Police
STrangler ST1300 2007 Charcoal Grey.
BEEstY 2017 Can-Am Daytona 1330.
maybe something with a little extra
:dred11 :Spyder

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 07:21:01 PM »
Totgas the rubber blocks under my seat are  Length 5cm x  Width 1cm x depth 1.5cm on front   rear    lenght 5 cm x2cm width and 1 cm depth

top of pic is front of seat.  hope this helps  :thumbs

Thanks that's great.
Appreciated
A.
I acknowledge hardworking Australians no matter who they are or where they come from. All those who have contributed to this wonderful country deserve an equal share of gratitude for their contributions. To single any group of individuals out for special homage only denigrates the rest of us.

Offline johnnyYTED

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 08:14:09 AM »
 i dont know  :eek why but the pics went missing so here are some replacement pics  :thumb

front rubber
rear rubber
I will soon need to replace the 2 missing on my seat when I'm finished a little project  :grin
mobile 047 4488 436 
IBA#59147, FarRider #732

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 06:42:47 PM »
Thanks mate.
I tried and tried to get the level right with different thickness blocks without any luck. Then I attached a large strip to the tank neck base and that seems to have been the ticket.
It would appear that some plod took the rubbers off to lower the seat without realising it would effect to whole mounting position and ergonomics.
A.

Offline johnnyYTED

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 07:08:20 PM »
kewl,  :thumb got a pic to poST up to show what you've done?  ;-*
mobile 047 4488 436 
IBA#59147, FarRider #732