Author Topic: Budget comfortable seat  (Read 2276 times)

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Budget comfortable seat
« on: July 22, 2020, 01:19:06 PM »
Riding Rubina home from Sydney I was reminded of the big discomfort the standard seat offers- it tips the rider towards the tank.  One fix is to lower the rear of the seat in its mount but I never had any success with that.  However Ruby2sday came with a mod that I didn't understand when I got her, just taking the comfortable seat for granted.
However, if you are willing to commit an assault on your seat, you too can have a seat that is possibly as comfortable as a professionally modified one.  Especially so if you have a nice sheepie covering a well adjusted Airhawk.

This photo gives you an idea of the difference the mod makes.

It appears the PO of Ruby2 used a cut-off wheel to make the cuts in the nylon seat base.  I would say he was very brave, but the outcome is so good I transferred the seat to my new ride, Rubina (along with the bar risers, highway pegs, "driving" lights, horn button protector and GPS mount). The stickers stretched as they came off I'll have to get new ones.  I would have swapped top boxes if the bikes had been the same shade of red because Ruby2's has armrests (as well as a battle scar).

For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

The following users thanked this post: CallMeSteve

Offline CallMeSteve

• Steve, Ruth and STrudel
  • Legendary Member
  • Eatons Hill, Brisbane.
Re: Budget comfortable seat
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 01:56:02 PM »

It appears the PO of Ruby2 used a cut-off wheel to make the cuts in the nylon seat base.  I would say he was very brave, but the outcome is so good I transferred the seat to my new ride, Rubina (along with the bar risers, highway pegs, "driving" lights, horn button protector and GPS mount). The stickers stretched as they came off I'll have to get new ones.  I would have swapped top boxes if the bikes had been the same shade of red because Ruby2's has armrests (as well as a battle scar).

I had always been aware of the curvaceous nature of your seat but never gotten to see just how it was achieved.  I agree he was a brave lad because it looks a little irreversible.  I'm not game to try this on STrudel but I'm tempted to go hunting round the wreckers for an old seat I can try it on.
A man rides on his STeed, says “Why am I short of attention? Got a short little span of attention”.

You can call me Steve, with apologies to Paul Simon.

:wht13

current:
ST1300 2014 Police

pre-kids:
CX500
CB900
CB400NB
CB350
1964 Yamaha YG-1 80cc

IBA #76608,  FR #1170

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 04:37:44 PM »
I had always been aware of the curvaceous nature of your seat but never gotten to see just how it was achieved.  I agree he was a brave lad because it looks a little irreversible.  I'm not game to try this on STrudel but I'm tempted to go hunting round the wreckers for an old seat I can try it on.

There would be some sort of bond/filler to bridge the gap and restore the solidity of the seat, but it sits on the factory mounts quite well without and sense of springiness.  I did 132935 kays on it without any dramas.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline CallMeSteve

• Legendary Member
  • Eatons Hill, Brisbane.
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2020, 07:31:06 PM »
I decided to have a crack at this, so armed with a spare seat from waaay over in WA I set to work with a cut-off wheel.

I ended up getting a bit more carried away with mine.

I have now done about 5000k on the modified seat. I’d vote thumbs up for the conversion, but I’ll also say that there is a lot more going on with Biggles’ seat than just cutting the seat base. Just cutting the base doesn’t result in the terrific curvaceous features that Bill’s bike now flaunts, but it does do a decent job of flattening out the seat.

Note that the effect depends on there being space under the seat for it to sag into. With the seat on low there is minimal effect, but with the seat set to high the effect is very noticeable, and with the induced sag even five-foot-eight Steve is quite comfortable with the seat set to high. The effect is similar to the trick of forcing the back end of the seat down one notch, but more so.
A man rides on his STeed, says “Why am I short of attention? Got a short little span of attention”.

current:
ST1300 2014 Police

pre-kids:
CX500
CB900
CB400NB
CB350
1964 Yamaha YG-1 80cc

IBA #76608,  FR #1170

Offline Skip

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2020, 07:53:56 PM »
I note the cut across the rear of your seat is much further forward. Bills' is actually on the 'steps', whereas yours is clearly well in front of the adjustment steps. Perhaps that is the difference?
'15 BMW R1200RS
Getting wind in my hair while I still have some.

The following users thanked this post: CallMeSteve

Offline CallMeSteve

• Legendary Member
  • Eatons Hill, Brisbane.
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2020, 08:52:36 PM »
I note the cut across the rear of your seat is much further forward. Bills' is actually on the 'steps', whereas yours is clearly well in front of the adjustment steps. Perhaps that is the difference?

Yeah mine is probably a couple of mm further forward. I’ll hack that back to see if it makes a difference although I’m not expecting it too. Let you know.

current:
ST1300 2014 Police

pre-kids:
CX500
CB900
CB400NB
CB350
1964 Yamaha YG-1 80cc

IBA #76608,  FR #1170