Author Topic: A Constant Snapping of Speedo-Cable... and Seat Replacement Thoughts...  (Read 1294 times)

Offline jt8277

• ST Legend
Hi Guys,

I thought I would place this here in General Questions (Site Moderators, you're welcome to move it if you feel I was wrong) because I have a couple of questions and a general thoughts discussion, and rather than have multiple, it can all be in one place...

Okay to the first... I seem to be having some issues with my Speedo-cable, it has snapped a 3rd time in as many months, and I am sick of replacing it.  If first thought I was being a cheapskate and buying an OEM cable to save money, and when that snapped I thought okay... I will do what I should have done in the first place, and that was to buy Genuine Honda replacement, again from David Silver Repairs in the UK, nothing to do with him, he has a the best place I have found for parts for these bikes, but I must be doing something wrong - your thoughts please, because I don't want to buy another one for about $50.00 and have it snap again in 3 months time, plus I don't have a job at the moment, so can't really afford it.

The second... I was so happy that my seat was still in original condition for a bike of its age that mine is, and then over the past few months, it has progressively gotten worse, with cracks and a split across the top and is now held on with tape to hopefully stop it getting worse.  I would like to have it repaired or re-upholstered to keep it as original, or do you guys have suggestions where I could go in Australia (Victoria ideally) when we're allowed to, to replace it.

Your thoughts would be really helpful.

Thanks

J

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
    • "Destined to Drive" Driving School
I can't help you with the speedo cable other than to ask you whether you lubricated it before you installed it?

As for your seat, there's this mob: https://www.acmseats.com.au/

Good luck with it all!  :thumbs

2005 Honda ST1300A

Offline jt8277

• ST Legend
Hi,

Thanks for the reply... maybe I missed it, but I was sure that the cables were already lubricated, they are certainly covered in oil (lubrication) when I take them off the bike to replace it... they do seem to be snapping in different places... I guess this is what you get for trying to do things yourself...

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
Just wondering...it may be worth checking the speedo drive...

You can pick a second hand one up (with cable) from the wreckers...

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Speedo-drive-speed-sensor-cable-HONDA-ST1100-1100-2003-/192614549857
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Speedo-drive-speed-sensor-cable-HONDA-ST1100-1100-1995/192891160939?hash=item2ce935896b:g:S8IAAOSwHkBctcBY
or there's just the speedo drive...
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Honda-ST1100-ABS-Year-2000-Speedo-Cable-Drive-Gear-Unit-37-000km-Good-Condition/353071280508?hash=item5234b0317c:g:d5QAAOSwxj5c28f7

Hope this helps...otherwise I'm sure someone with experience with the ST1100 will come along shortly...

2005 Honda ST1300A

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
Hi,

Thanks for the reply... maybe I missed it, but I was sure that the cables were already lubricated, they are certainly covered in oil (lubrication) when I take them off the bike to replace it... they do seem to be snapping in different places... I guess this is what you get for trying to do things yourself...

Did you just replace the inner cable or the whole lot?
If it was just the inner cable it might be worth checking the outer for any kinks etc...

2005 Honda ST1300A

Offline jt8277

• ST Legend
Hi,

No they were full replacement cables, thought it best to ensure everything was working correctly.

I do have to say, getting it connected to the back of the clocks it quite a tough job, and can never be sure it is fully on... When I pull the bike out again to add the new accessory socket I am waiting on, I will check over the cable again, but I was careful not to put it anywhere that it might get trapped or kinked.

Thanks for the replies.

The following users thanked this post: ruSTynutz

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
The speedo cable should travel in a smooth curve, and screwing onto the back of the speedo should be quite easy unless you are coming in at an angle. If the cable has a tight bend, then the speedo drive will cause it to snap. Try fitting the outer cable first, then insert the inner. If the inner isnt going in easily , there will be a tight bend somewhere.

As for the seat, try find a local motor trimmer. They should be able to recover the seat fore a reasonable price. I had a seat rebuilt and covered for about $350
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA