Author Topic: Rolling Thunder  (Read 5708 times)

Offline Scarlett Thunderbolt

• Walkerston Qld
  • NatRally 2018 - Mackay
Rolling Thunder
« on: October 25, 2016, 09:03:27 PM »
  We wanted a trailer to tow behind the Scarlett Thunderbolt to extend our touring range and enable us to enjoy a comfortable camping holiday. We looked at all kinds of trailers, from fibreglass to checker-plate, from fold-out camper trailers to small plastic 'coffins' or overgrown toolboxes. We decided that a thin steel covered trailer would be best, being both durable and weatherproof. After a few months of searching online, we found a trailer that fit the bill down in Maryborough, Qld – except, that is, for the extremely dodgy paint job! We brought her home and looked at what it would take to bring her up to Miss Scarlett's standard. A colour scheme was agreed. And so the reno began.

Kate has done 99% of the hard yakka involved in renovating the trailer, from stripping, sanding and prepping to undercoating, masking and spraying.  She has her own blog, and has posted her progress on the trailer, stage by stage, in that forum. The reports are formatted for her blog, so to see what was involved, click the links in turn.

https://talltalesfromchiconia.wordpress.com/2016/09/05/rolling-thunder-part-1
https://talltalesfromchiconia.wordpress.com/2016/09/07/rolling-thunder-part-2
https://talltalesfromchiconia.wordpress.com/2016/09/16/rolling-thunder-part-3
https://talltalesfromchiconia.wordpress.com/2016/10/09/rolling-thunder-part-4
https://talltalesfromchiconia.wordpress.com/2016/10/13/rolling-thunder-part-5
https://talltalesfromchiconia.wordpress.com/2016/10/20/rolling-thunder-part-6-get-the-motor-running

We've just finished towing Rolling Thunder behind the Scarlett Thunderbolt for the past week over a couple of thousand kilometres round trip on our recent FNQ holiday (http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=11252.0). The finished trailer formed an essential and integral part of the trip, allowing us to carry everything we needed to stay covered, comfortable and content. As an added benefit, with a wheel clamp and padlocks fitted, the trailer provided secure storage while we were away on day-trips.

We had a 33L esky on the front, 10kg of tools and equipment in the back, and in the main section, a 10 man tent, a double bed stretcher, inflatable mattress, a couple of seats, 10L of water, etc.… about 30kgs in all.

From a mechanical point of view, aside from changing the tow hitch to a 360° swivel hitch, checking the bearings were greased and the lights worked, all we had to do was run the tyres at 12psi. It has behaved faultlessly on its maiden trip, and we were barely aware it was behind us most of the time. At this stage we have no plans to install power as the esky was completely adequate, and we camped on powered sites.

Cheers, John & Kate.
John, Kate & Miss Scarlett
Candy Red ST1300

The following users thanked this post: Shiney

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
Re: Rolling Thunder
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 09:37:26 PM »
At least the trailer and bike colours match unlike my white trailer and blue bike.

I find an esky quite adequate with our set up as well.

1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 12:16:00 AM »
Enjoyed reading the blog and seeing the development.  You've made the ugly duckling into something quite decent and very practical.
Pleased to read that it performed to your expectations.  Lots more adventures ahead, methinks.    :thumbs
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Online ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 05:34:57 AM »
A brilliant effort Kate & John  :-++ :-++

Really enjoyed your blog a great transformation  :like

Cheers
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline richo

• Richo
  • Legendary Member
  • ST 2009
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 05:46:20 AM »
 :thumbs. Very good work, you have done a great job
Richo

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 07:24:27 AM »
Wonderful transformation. I didn't have time this morning to read it all, but it's hard to believe it's the same trailer.

Cheers,
Gary

sent using another of Gadget's gadgets.

Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

• Walkerston Qld
  • NatRally 2018 - Mackay
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 07:43:38 AM »
At least the trailer and bike colours match unlike my white trailer and blue bike.

I find an esky quite adequate with our set up as well.

Hey Alan, The colours (the candy red) were a case of trial and error.... and try again. The esky... something better insulated would have been nice (ice lasted about 2-days), but it is what we had on-hand. We found ice available (about $4 for 5kg) at each Big4 park.

Enjoyed reading the blog and seeing the development.  You've made the ugly duckling into something quite decent and very practical.
Pleased to read that it performed to your expectations.  Lots more adventures ahead, methinks.    :thumbs

Hey Bill, the blog and the work were all Kate... we just about ran the Senas flat, working out our next adventures... and how to improve the setup.

A brilliant effort Kate & John  :-++ :-++

Really enjoyed your blog a great transformation  :like

Cheers

Thanks Chris... anything was better than a bare-arse cowgirl fighting a leggo dragon!

:thumbs. Very good work, you have done a great job

Thanks Richo... we're very happy with the way it turned out and also the way it has performed. It has given us more options for... a week long riding adventure.

Wonderful transformation. I didn't have time this morning to read it all, but it's hard to believe it's the same trailer.

Cheers,
Gary

sent using another of Gadget's gadgets.

Thanks Gary... Kate's glad that all her hard work has paid off.

Cheers, John & Kate.
Candy Red ST1300

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 07:48:16 AM »
On a camping trip to Frasier Island in a 4WD we used Dry Ice block wrapped in Newspaper with a small hole in it. Lasted for over a week.
Towards the end we had to enlarge the hole.

Cheers,
Gary

Sent using another of Gadget's gadgets.

Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

• Walkerston Qld
  • NatRally 2018 - Mackay
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 07:54:02 AM »
On a camping trip to Frasier Island in a 4WD we used Dry Ice block wrapped in Newspaper with a small hole in it. Lasted for over a week.
Towards the end we had to enlarge the hole.

Cheers,
Gary

Sent using another of Gadget's gadgets.

hmmm... $16 spent on ice, compared to long-lasting dry-ice.... thanks mate, good tip... may have to investigate this further.
Candy Red ST1300

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 09:32:25 PM »
Awesome mate, simply awesome :-++ :-++ :-++

I look forward to reading the next adventure of "Scarlett Thunderbolt & Rolling Thunder' :runyay :thumbsup

Cheers
Shiney
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline spanner

• Blue is better .... apparently
  • NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • legend in my own match box.
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 03:29:46 PM »
That is a sensational job.

Well bloody done!

If,you are thinking of changing eskys check out Techni-ice ice boxes.  We have one and LOVE it!

https://www.techniice.com/ice-boxes/signature-series.html

Get the white signature series.  Don't bother with the "dry ice packs" they sell. 
F.R. #905

I.B.A. # 63008

I acknowledge the Bindal and Wulgurukaba traditional custodians of this Australian land that I work, live and play on, and pay my respect to their cultures, their ancestors and to the elders, past, present and all future generations.

• Walkerston Qld
  • NatRally 2018 - Mackay
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2016, 04:41:57 AM »
Awesome mate, simply awesome :-++ :-++ :-++

I look forward to reading the next adventure of "Scarlett Thunderbolt & Rolling Thunder' :runyay :thumbsup

Cheers
Shiney

Thanks mate... like Bill said, an ugly duckling no more... and, when our ideas involving a STeed, a trailer and itchy-feet, evolve into reality... you'll be the next to know.

That is a sensational job.

Well bloody done!

If,you are thinking of changing eskys check out Techni-ice ice boxes.  We have one and LOVE it!

https://www.techniice.com/ice-boxes/signature-series.html

Get the white signature series.  Don't bother with the "dry ice packs" they sell. 

Thanks mate...  hmm, our old esky? vs. a new ice-box? vs. our old Waeco fridge?... we're pretty happy with our old esky, for now.
Candy Red ST1300