Author Topic: Replacing Trailer Lights  (Read 2330 times)

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
Replacing Trailer Lights
« on: February 15, 2014, 06:01:54 PM »
Several weeks ago I noticed that the LH trailer lens had a missing piece and it was in an area where the least damage (if any) would occur. This was an LED set that I installed in 2011 since the OEM light lenses were all cracked and the globe and wiring contacts parted company at times. For an LED set the lights weren't that bright but passable at night so the lens breakage helped with the decision to get a better set.

Finding the right LED set was an issue as I wanted to keep close to the OEM Light sizes and include the plate light on both sides. The lights were found at a wholesaler which meant a shop had to get them in for me. Our local hardware shop was the right place so I could get them in with their usual order and the freight cost would be minimised. The set cost $128 (not cheap) and ADR compliant so the lights have to meet minimum standards at least.

I picked then about a week ago and fitted today after all the rain went and it was still cool enough outside.

Took this the day I got them.

Today:-

First up is to remove the installed set and 4 bolts on each light. This was how the OEM light were also done and I used the same holes but replaced the bolts.

The old LED and OEM lights look identical and the lenses could be used on both. The lenses has to be removed and the wiring parted so the light fitting can be removed.

The broken LH lens. This is the bottom and sits almost flush with bumper as you can see in the above picture.

The new mounting plate in place. A simple matter of feeding the trailer wiring through the hole I the plate and replacing the old bolts etc. One hole lined up (on both sides) and I drilled the other three to suit the holes in the mounting plate.

New lights ready for soldering bit which I'm not to good at but the solder from the last was still solid so must have done something right.

Four wires soldered and electrical tape to keep them apart. For extra support I taped the wires together at the join before fitting the lights.

The testing phase. Hook the trailer wiring into the bike and amazingly it still works. I did the LH first to compare to the RH and you can clearly see the difference. I fitted the LED clearance lights just after I bought the trailer in January 2011.

We also made up our own Ozstoc stickers for the trailer so who said printer ink doesn't last.......lol

The completed job. All lights work and the trailer is ready for it's next trip.

I added the reflectors a few months back as none of the previous light sets had any included but the new LED set do.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 12:25:07 AM by alans1100 »
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
Re: Replacing Trailer Lights
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 06:09:45 PM »
Well done, I would have use butt connectors. I would replace the tape with heat shrink tubing, as its better for moisture protection.

Mind you, This is my training and 40 od yrs of experience talking. :beer
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 06:15:27 PM by Brock »
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 06:22:20 PM »
with heat shrink tubing, as its better for moisture protection.

Had my model train friends done the work then that would been a given.
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 07:21:34 PM »
Just pop over tomorrow morning, I will do it in a coupla minutes... :grin :grin
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
  • Everything is improved with "Flashing lights"
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 10:31:57 PM »
I fitted a similar couple to my full sized trailer about 6 years ago. Last month I noticed that half the LED's were no longer working so there was no alternative but to put them in the bin and buy a new set. I guess that is the only draw back to using LED's.
A.
I acknowledge hardworking Australians no matter who they are or where they come from. All those who have contributed to this wonderful country deserve an equal share of gratitude for their contributions. To single any group of individuals out for special homage only denigrates the rest of us.