Author Topic: LED headlights, Are they reliable, opinions please?  (Read 3255 times)

Offline cravenhaven

• Coomba Bay, NSW
LED headlights, Are they reliable, opinions please?
« on: September 08, 2018, 10:58:30 PM »
There are quite a few threads about LED headlights, but I'm interested in opinions from those who have had them in for a longer time.

In my case I bought some LASFIT bulbs in 2016 and initially tried them in my Nissan Patrol, but then removed them because of the lack of distance on high beam and the shocking interference on the radio. I have more recently installed JW Speaker LEDs in the Patrol and they seem much better on both counts. I put the LASFIT bulbs in the bike because I was impressed with the VERY white light that they emit and thought that was a great safety aspect. However I recently had a problem with one of the bulbs which caused them to both operate on high beam although it eventually failed altogether. While changing out the bulb I noticed that the inside of the headlight lenses have got a hazy film over them which I hadnt noticed before I installed the LEDs.

What has been the experience of other LED installations?.

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
Re: LED headlights, Are they reliable, opinions please?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 05:07:33 AM »
Here is a recent review of the LED Headlights I use

https://youtu.be/Bt35fyS7uxU

I Have been using them for quite some time now and still love them, I wouldn't hesitate to recomended these headlights to anyone :thumbsup

Cheers
Shiney
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 07:28:47 AM »
Here's a link to the "Plug n Play" LED headlight globes that I was using in my ST1300.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-New-20W-2-2000LM-2-Hi-Lo-dual-beam-DC12V-6500K-H4-plug-Led-Bulbs/32493093438.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.DlpC82

I tried a few different LED globes, and found that the common problem was the pattern of the beam that they threw, in that there was little difference between high and low beam, despite the globe design.  The above globes I settled on have a huge increase in light down the road on high beam, and with a good pattern "cut off" on low beam.   The downside of the globes I was using was that the tiny built in cooling fan in the globe had a tendancy to get noisy and fail, but at just $13 USD per globe, it was no trouble to carry a spare.  I was getting well over 12 months use from the globes before they would fail.

There are a few threads on LED headlight globes.
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

The following users thanked this post: Shiney

Offline Piet

• Caroline Springs, Victoria.
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 12:17:12 PM »
In my case on my ST1100P,
I tried a set and they were fine.  The lights were bright and certainly whiter, but I was concerned that reinstalling the rubber boots would just kill the airflow necessary for the LED lamps that had their own fans.  So I did not re-install the covers.  They have worked for over a year.  Then one unit stared with a intermittent flashing as if it had a dry joint.  Not on & off but bright - dull intermittent.  I agree with Stinky Pete's experience that they also got noisy.  I hated the noise.
I can't be bothered with mucking around and worrying about sufficient airflow etc.  I have just gone back to standard H4's and enjoy the quiet and now steady lights.

I am going to now look at extra lights on the police mirror light mounts.
Rides:
ST1100P 2004 Darkside
VTX1800C 2008 V&H pipes (sold)

Online LindsayGT

• Rossmoyne, WA
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 12:31:27 PM »
I can confirm that these Philips X-treme Ultinon LED H4 's really work well.

https://www.powerbulbs.com/au/product/philips-x-treme-ultinon-led-headlamp-h4

Low beam cutoff excellent - no oncoming traffic "grumps".

Light Penetration at least as good as any halogen globes I have used, (even the so called higher power globes with much shorter lifetime).

No noise due to a passive heatsink, ie. no FAN.

The heatsink is removable, so the "globe" can be installed, rubber bucket in place and then heatsink added afterwards - no cutting.

1400GTR 2010*
GL1800 2012*
ST1300*
K1600GT*
GL1833

IBA #49250: SS1600k, BB2500k
FarRider #369

Perth-Pt Augusta-Darwin-Pt Hedland-Perth 2011
Around Aus via Highway 1, April 2014
Cape Leeuwin to Cooktown, August 2018
Perth to Tasmania, November 2019

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 03:08:02 PM »

I can't be bothered with mucking around and worrying about sufficient airflow etc.  I have just gone back to standard H4's and enjoy the quiet and now steady lights.

For around town the extra cost for LED is just a waste of cash as you don't get any real benefit so H4 works.

A little different on a country road where you might need the extra lighting on high beam and for some adding driving lights is the better option. You have three different types (LED, HID and Halogen) to choose from plus a few beam (Spot, Flood or Euro/Combination) patterns and you don't have an issue of putting a globe into an OEM light housing it wasn't designed for.
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 09:41:37 PM »

Yeah, but $ 321.28.  At that price they sure can give "free" postage!
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Online LindsayGT

• Rossmoyne, WA
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 10:07:30 PM »

Quite often PowerBulbs has good discounts - up to 25%.

In any case it's a matter of Economics. If you purchase 3 pairs of the High power halogen bulbs, each lasting between 200 and 400 hours @ $80 per pair ... I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this.

I've been down the eBay Chinese specials and was seriously disappointed. Specifically I purchased the Evitek G6 bulbs as referrred to in this thread.

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/index.php?threads/h4-led-2018-evitek-f2-replaces-g6.162067/  NO Longer available and replaced by others as identified in this thread.

Caveat Emptor!

1400GTR 2010*
GL1800 2012*
ST1300*
K1600GT*
GL1833

IBA #49250: SS1600k, BB2500k
FarRider #369

Perth-Pt Augusta-Darwin-Pt Hedland-Perth 2011
Around Aus via Highway 1, April 2014
Cape Leeuwin to Cooktown, August 2018
Perth to Tasmania, November 2019

Offline cravenhaven

• Coomba Bay, NSW
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 10:48:46 PM »

For around town the extra cost for LED is just a waste of cash as you don't get any real benefit so H4 works.

A little different on a country road where you might need the extra lighting on high beam and for some adding driving lights is the better option. You have three different types (LED, HID and Halogen) to choose from plus a few beam (Spot, Flood or Euro/Combination) patterns and you don't have an issue of putting a globe into an OEM light housing it wasn't designed for.

One of the most significant advantages of LED lights in my mind is that they appear much brighter and noticeable to oncoming drivers/riders. ie the 'being seen' objective is enhanced greatly. However as Piet mentioned I have had the problem with one of the bulbs flashing very brightly occasionally, and then both bulbs being forced into high beam mode. Hence my question about reliability.
Maybe I expect too much, as one year of use is trivial in my mind. I expect them to last several years before being surpassed by newer technology. Failing light bulbs is surely a thing of the past :).

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 11:37:46 PM »
As with everything, you get what you pay for.

The Phillips are dear, but they're well engineered and durable because of it.

I was replacing halogen every 6 months or so at $100 a pop. Had the LEDs for a couple of years no problems.

Seriously thinking of the Phillips LEDs for the convertible.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2018, 11:18:27 AM »
If I was replacing bulbs every year at $100 a pair I'd think $321 worth it just to avoid the suffering involved in changing them.
Oddly, the OEM bulbs in my current ST have done 97,000 km (probably more relevant than number of years).  I've got a pair of LEDs in the shed ready to replace them when one blows.  They are definitely not the $300+ variety, and I'm starting to think I might stay with halogens since I've got the good LED spotties.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline DavidP

• ST13 fan, near Toowoomba, Qld
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2018, 10:16:42 PM »
Eek, $100/pair!!!!  Last set were Philips ecolife for about $26/pair delivered, and compared to silverstar 2's (which were about same price delivered) were just as bright, but a tiny bit yellower, draw less current and last a lot longer.  I actually ran one of each, and then compared by blocking one then the other with a piece of cardboard in the driveway (pitch dark at our place).  Trees looked just as bright either side.  Both are MUCH brighter than oem bulbs.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

:slvr13 in style
2008 ST1300, Carbon fender extender, blinker/mirror mod, switchback indicators, diy wiring/jump start harness, heated grips, diy swing-arm/shock protector, insulated fairing pockets, diy led spots

Online CallMeSteve

• Steve, Ruth and STrudel
  • Legendary Member
  • Eatons Hill, Brisbane.
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2019, 09:21:27 PM »

Just in case anyone is interested, Powerbulbs is running a discount on these plus an extra 25% with a coupon code. I just ordered a pair for $200 delivered.
A man rides on his STeed, says “Why am I short of attention? Got a short little span of attention”.

You can call me Steve, with apologies to Paul Simon.

:wht13

current:
ST1300 2014 Police

pre-kids:
CX500
CB900
CB400NB
CB350
1964 Yamaha YG-1 80cc

IBA #76608,  FR #1170

Online CallMeSteve

• Steve, Ruth and STrudel
  • Legendary Member
  • Eatons Hill, Brisbane.
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2019, 02:13:29 PM »
Hey Pete, (or anyone else who has used the Phillips LED bulb)

Where did you mount the power supply for each bulb?  Mine just arrived today.  They are certainly a piece of engineering.

edit:  Sorry, I meant LindsayGT, not StinkyPete.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 02:24:03 PM by CallMeSteve »
A man rides on his STeed, says “Why am I short of attention? Got a short little span of attention”.

You can call me Steve, with apologies to Paul Simon.

:wht13

current:
ST1300 2014 Police

pre-kids:
CX500
CB900
CB400NB
CB350
1964 Yamaha YG-1 80cc

IBA #76608,  FR #1170