Author Topic: Ikon 3610-1010 and the Progressive 465  (Read 2987 times)

Offline Piet

• Caroline Springs, Victoria.
Ikon 3610-1010 and the Progressive 465
« on: February 27, 2015, 06:24:38 PM »
I just removed my P465 and fitted a new Ikon 3610. 
I will update this as time passes with a few observations.

I purchased the P465 initially to replace the original Honda Shock.
The P465 is a pretty nice looking shock to be honest.  Beatiful finish and colour.  Very nicely made. 
However the adjustment dial is numbered 1 through 5 and I dont recall turning it counter clockwise but I must have done so and smashed the adjuster.  It MUST only be turned clockwise.  I was/am so dissappointed that I have no adjustment at all.  The possibility of it ariving that way seems remost so I must have been at fault.

So I purchased an Ikon 3610-1010.  Fitted it last night.  Took it for a very brief ride and its nice.  What I noticed is that the P465 is a few mm taller than the Ikon when off the bike. Later I will investigate this further and take a few photo's.

Today I packaged up the P465 and sent it back to Progressive under an RMA and will get it repaired ... returned and then will be in a position to play some more.

Initial observations.
1.  I definately like the look of the P465 better than the Ikon.
2.  The P465 looks beefier and more solidly constructed.
3.  The Ikon is easier to adjust.  The sag is set by the tool supplied.
4.  The Ikon tool is simple and straitforward.  The P465 needs a ⅜ drive rachet or similar to fit to their dickie spanner end.  Much trickier adjustment.
5.  The Ikon adjuster is finger adjustable, fairly easy to get to but hard to read the number.
6.  The P465 is easy to read and an allen key hex wrench sets its adjustment.  Better access though.
7.  The Ikon spring is prgressively wound and the P465 is a linear spring.
I will add information later as it comes to hand.

Initially ... Not knowing where the P465 is set between 1 and 5 leaves me blind.  What I will say is that the ride was a bit tough on some bumps and left the kidneys feeling it.  The bike felt sure footed though and was much better than the original. 
The Ikon is only just fitted but I initially set it on position 2 and its definately softer on my kidneys.  Sure footedness is the same so far. 

I set up both the P465 and the Ikon with the same sag of 34mm.

More later when the P465 returns repaired.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 09:55:12 PM by Piet »
Rides:
ST1100P 2004 Darkside
VTX1800C 2008 V&H pipes (sold)

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
Re: Ikon 3610-1010 and the Progressive 465
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 06:51:58 PM »
I was lucky when I fitted my Progressive as the ride height (free sag) was only a couple mm different from the OEM. Ideally I should have set for one and/or two riders but I aimed for the mid point and the rebound adjustment could be adjusted as needed.

The number one setting I think would be ok for just me on the bike and number two with Heather seems ok. I should have changed it to three when we did the Ashbourne RTE with our trailer but I forgot about it.

The OEM shock on mine was way past it's use by date and the spring was the only thing working. However I find the Progressive linear spring a lot firmer on the minor bumps and I notice it where the OEM progressive was softer and I hardly felt anything. Where the OEM would bottom out on a couple bumps the Progressive doesn't.

1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Piet

• Caroline Springs, Victoria.
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 11:06:28 AM »
Progressive has checked my shock and tell me there is nothing wrong with it.
So that was a waste of $80 sending it back to be checked.  Seriously there is no feel in the adjusters first 3 positions and just a tad in positions 4 and 5.
Anyway the one good thing is that I felt pretty sure I had not turned the adjuster in the wrong direction but based on the total lack of feel I concluded that I must have broken it.  Glad I did not.

I asked them to return it via USPS but they are simply refusing to do so.  They now tell me they only use UPS and I have to provide my credit card details so they can dispatch.  I have twice now asked them to let me know what that cost might be but so far they have not done so.  I am quite narked by this attitude.  Holy cow, how hard is it to go to the flamin post office? 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 06:27:06 PM by Piet »
Rides:
ST1100P 2004 Darkside
VTX1800C 2008 V&H pipes (sold)

Offline Garry_Coates

• ST1100 ABS/TCS (95), XR600R (99) and TXC310R (13)
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 07:40:45 PM »
Hi Piet,
          just a (late) suggestion. I would send the shock to a good suspension tuner here in Melbourne.  Two options:

1. New oil and re-gas. Good for a shock you are happy with that has high mileage. Cost $175+

2. Re-valve shock to suit. This is where you are not happy with it. Most tuners have ways to improve that are cost effective. Cost $250+ which includes 1. as well.

I have done both options with different shocks and they have always come back better.

Regards
           Garry