Author Topic: Fork remove etc  (Read 3846 times)

Offline creeture3

• ST Legend
Fork remove etc
« on: April 22, 2015, 09:17:54 PM »
Hi ppl, the next time I replace my front tyre, I am considering replacing the fluid in the forks, and maybe the springs. Now, from what I have read, it is a PIA to take apart and re-assemble the right hand fork. ('99 ST, ABS etc.)

Is this so? There is no mention of any difficulties in any of the manuals, but I am lead to understand that the replacing of the spring is difficult.

And the L/H fork???

Can anybody enlighten me on this?

Cheers

Offline Garry_Coates

• ST1100 ABS/TCS (95), XR600R (99) and TXC310R (13)
Re: Fork remove etc
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 04:05:06 PM »
Hi creeture3,
           first step is do you have a workshop manual as I would start by getting one from the web free. Otherwise get a HC Haynes or Clymer.

The second step is to actually workout what you need to do. Changing fork oil does not require fork dis-assembly. You need only to remove the fork caps and springs to drain and refill. Removing the forks from the bike makes it easier to set the fork oil level but others do it in situ

Regards
             Garry

Offline Bikebear

• Legendary Member
  • Livin' it up in FNQ..
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 05:29:23 PM »
I did the fork seals in my '99 (ABS,TCS etc) and had no issues pulling the forks apart except the bolts in the lowers that hold the assembly together were very, very tight and had to be drilled and an easy out used to remove them. New ones from Honda weren't that expensive.
Craig..
STOC #8215
UC #42145
SCA#2478

Gold '99 ST1100A (Golden Brown), Black '04 VT750, Red '15 1800 Valkyrie (Hildr), Black '08 DN01

"Golden Brown finer temptress, Never a frown with Golden Brown"

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 06:38:36 PM »
There is a manual available here, look at the top sticky in the 1100 section.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline creeture3

• ST Legend
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 02:54:08 PM »
Removing the forks etc. and stripping them is not a problem. I just have the idea that the re-assembly of the l/h fork is difficult because of the anti dive and spring being very hard to compress, particularly to get a spacer collar in?

Offline Nigel

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 03:15:32 PM »
Hi Creeture,I remember seeing this on youtube he uses an st1100 tube but explains that they are all the same to repair. May help, just have some popcorn with you. Copy and paste into youtube......Have fun...... :wht11

https://youtu.be/vrmYJgcGX30
Introducing My 2007 BMW K 1200 GT
Avoid Disappointment, Expect the Unexpected.
Nigel               0447333268
Mooroolbark But its a secret.

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 04:18:08 PM »
Removing the forks etc. and stripping them is not a problem. I just have the idea that the re-assembly of the l/h fork is difficult because of the anti dive and spring being very hard to compress, particularly to get a spacer collar in?

Having a quick glance at the Fork section of the manual would suggest that there is no need to remove the anti-dive unit for what you're planning to do.

http://www.sharetheexperience.co.uk/ST1100/13%20Front%20Wheel%20Suspension%20Steering.pdf
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

The following users thanked this post: spanner

Offline 2Triky

• Old Fart
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 07:45:35 PM »
I had to reseal one of my forks after a stone chip pitted the slider and created a nuisance leak. I purchased a seal kit from Mr Honda and used the work shop manual on our web site.  The biggest bitch was getting the cap off the fork.  Mr Honda does the mongrels up super tight, alloy in steel doesn't help, and a fine thread to boot.  anyway after purchasing a good quality socket Allen key drive, I had to revert to breaking out my little gas blow torch to warm up the steel fork outer.  NOT TOO hot to melt the seals, but just enough to create a bit of expansion.  The cap came off real easy once I did this.  Should mention that by this time I had the fork in a vice, wrapped in heavy rubber to secure it without damaging the fork tube.  Needless to say the resealing was a piece of piss, and it all went back together with ample grease on the threads and not so bloody tight.  I have learnt with my old suzuki, that it is very important to use the correct volume of oil in each fork.  You can experiment with different viscosity to harden up or soften the ride, but the volume is extremely important, otherwise you could create a high speed tank slapper which i didnt bargain for.
Cheers,
Mick.
Woodvale. W.A.

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 07:57:53 PM »
I had to reseal one of my forks after a stone chip pitted the slider and created a nuisance leak. I purchased a seal kit from Mr Honda and used the work shop manual on our web site.  The biggest bitch was getting the cap off the fork. 
The manual advises to just loosen the fork caps before undoing the top two pinch bolts. The bike gives better leverage and reduces possible damage on the fork tubes.
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline 2Triky

• Old Fart
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 08:31:54 PM »
Correct, but these were so bloody tight, that the bike was moving on the floor, and I was frightened of slipping and damaging the tank by a wayward socket head or wrench.  It was hard to hold the correct angle on the wrench and I could see the inside of the caps becoming chewed out from the wrench.  So for safety sake, they came out. and heat was successfully applied.
Cheers,
Mick.
Woodvale. W.A.