Author Topic: Help with MC cruise control  (Read 3406 times)

Offline bloodbikes

• Legendary Member
Help with MC cruise control
« on: November 21, 2017, 06:35:17 PM »
Just purchased used ST1300 MC cruise control system and wondering if anyone out there has fitted this themselves, or do I need to find someone to professionally fit it?
Assuming all parts are with it, got brain, vacuum unit, control switch bar, wiring, cables, no instructions though.
Looking for any help?

:wht13

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
Re: Help with MC cruise control
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 06:57:23 PM »
I think Yorkie and Wombat know how to fit them. You got an older version, the new ones dont have a vac unit.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 07:49:04 PM »
Yes, I'm deducing you bought a second-hand one, since the makers couldn't source the vacuum units recently, so converted the ST13 units to the electro-servo.  That entailed major changes- about the only thing in common is the inhibit switches and the control panel.
Provided you have the full set of instructions, fitting them is achievable for even a klutz like me.  I've done two now, following the instructions to the letter.  You need to set aside a weekend and assume the bike will be in bits overnight.  Having a garage or shed is therefore vital.  The icing on the cake is the manufacturers in Melbourne are the nicest guys, and will talk you through any issues on the phone.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline bloodbikes

• Legendary Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 08:07:13 PM »
No instructions as yet but I’ve been in touch with the guys at MC cruise.

Offline Shillas

• SA NatRally 2022
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Better Red than Dead
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 08:39:18 PM »
Looking for any help?

What I love about this forum.  Ask & you shall receive  :-++
Shillas :13Candy

CB 125 - long gone
RD 200 - long gone
CB 250T - long gone
XJ 650 - reasonably long gone
XV 750 - reasonably long gone
VN 800 - gone
ST 1100 - recently gone
ST 1300 - In the garage

Offline bloodbikes

• Legendary Member
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 09:10:34 PM »
Got instructions now, just got to organise free time to do it!

Offline Sharp

• Sharp
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 07:02:49 PM »
Looking for any help?

Can you help me in how to do rear brake pads on an Esky 1300

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 10:03:48 PM »

Umm... is that an offer to bring an Esky full of beer to help lubricate the ST1300 pad change?

Or else you could have a look here:

http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=11846.msg1216775#msg1216775
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

Offline Sharp

• Sharp
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 03:36:45 PM »

Umm... is that an offer to bring an Esky full of beer to help lubricate the ST1300 pad change?

Or else you could have a look here:

http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=11846.msg1216775#msg1216775
Thank you for sending the photos on how to do your rear brakes last weekend I had a go at doing my back brake pads and I didn't really professionally cleaned on a properly and the scraping in the back of my back calipers has gone has disappeared so the guy the blanks I was talking to up until last Bike rally thanks for giving me the details about checking me brake pads have I did that and my back will back brakes a good now thank you very much

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Offline bloodbikes

• Legendary Member
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 05:20:06 PM »
I thought this was a thread about my cruise control not about someone else’s rear brake pads, maybe start your own thread.

Offline Sharp

• Sharp
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2018, 05:16:42 AM »
Looking for any help?

Hi I got a 1300 Honda I've just won't have you ever replace your water pump bearings and seals on your bike

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2018, 03:40:46 PM »
Hi I got a 1300 Honda I've just won't have you ever replace your water pump bearings and seals on your bike

Not sure what you want, Sharp.  This is a Cruise Control thread.  Have you tried the "Search" button for water pumps?  It's very good, turning up every mention of the term for the period you specify, or way back to The Origin of this Species.

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2018, 09:44:22 PM »
My CC quit last weekend.  I blamed the tyre fitter bending the rear wheel pick-up, and bent it back and it fixed it... for about 20 metres.
That's really annoying, when a fix works intermittently.
On Wednesday I got around to addressing the problem. The diagnostics pointed to a broken brake signal wire, but I couldn't see how that could happen after checking the wiring at the front brake lever.  I didn't want to get too serious about wiring for another reason- raising the tank when you have a tank cover, raised handlebars, a Touratech lockable GPS mount and Abe's boy's horn guard is a right royal pain in the exhaust.
I contacted Brian Farkleit of OZSTOC fame who happens to be another Brisbane denizen.  When he heard I'm in QLD he said the fault might well be the actuator solenoids which fail more frequently up here because apparently our petrol has more wax in it.  That's been his experience, to the extent that he's known people to have to clean their solenoids once a year. He gave me a detailed description of the process with appropriate warnings.
His diagnosis seemed reasonable, since I wasn't getting the solenoid response in the diagnostic tests.
It's a bit of a pain, but not difficult if you're careful and meticulously clean.  They tested fine for resistance and response on the bench after the overhaul but still dead in the bike.
After much head scratching I finally tested the brake signal wire for continuity, and it failed.  I bypassed it and voila- the solenoids worked and the rest of the diagnostics came good.  It appears the intermittent aspect of the failure was related to the break being at the head stem and 90,000 km worth of flexing finally made a complete break.
This is typical of trouble-shooting. Why would the brake signal, incorporated to provide a disconnect of the CC on brake application ( sending a 12v signal to the computer) stop the CC working?  Just one of those things- maybe there's a very low voltage present that the computer needs to be assured it's line is ready for a signal.
When it was all working again I told Brian and he said, "While the tank is up, why not check the CIU?"  I had the tank up while tracing the break and what he said made sense, except I had a compelling aversion to going deeper after my experience installing my first CC on an ST1300, where the machine screws on the intake trumpet bases resisted all attempts to remove them, and I ended up drilling one out.   :eek
I learned later they are JIS heads.  Anyhoo, my CC's engagement has been sluggish forever and I knew the fix, but preferred to put up with it.  Darn- in for a penny, in for a pound- so I got serious and went in deep, reaching the throttle body after only a bit of B, S & T.  (No, not abuse- Blood Sweat and Tears).  I took up the slack in the connecting cable and rebuilt the bike.  Oh yes- while I was in there, I took the opportunity to clean the air filter which definitely needed it.
So props to Brian Farkleit for giving me the ideas and encouragement.  My advice regarding Cruise Controls is, if you didn't install it, you might as well take it to him to trouble-shoot.  There's a lot to know.  If you're moderately handy with tools and following instructions, the MCC brand made in Melbourne comes with detailed instructions.  However, if you'd like a professional installation, take the box and bike to Brian on the south side of Brisbane.  He's done so many he will do it in half the time you'd take. He does actuator solenoids from go to whoa in an hour- and his rates are reasonable.  Don't ask how long it took me.  I'll be quicker if there's a next time.  :grin
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 10:56:09 AM by Biggles »

The following users thanked this post: Shiney

Offline CallMeSteve

• Steve, Ruth and STrudel
  • Legendary Member
  • Eatons Hill, Brisbane.
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2018, 03:32:10 PM »
If the MCC had a brake input something like the attached pic it would do what you are seeing - i.e. it is a fail safe to guard against loss of that brake signal.
A man rides on his STeed, says “Why am I short of attention? Got a short little span of attention”.

You can call me Steve, with apologies to Paul Simon.

current:
ST1300 2014 Police

pre-kids:
CX500
CB900
CB400NB
CB350
1964 Yamaha YG-1 80cc

IBA #76608,  FR #1170

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2018, 05:28:33 PM »
Ah, the benefits of an education!     :thumbsup

Offline CallMeSteve

• Steve, Ruth and STrudel
  • Legendary Member
  • Eatons Hill, Brisbane.
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2018, 09:53:08 AM »
Haha. Each to his own Bill.  I can sketch up a circuit diagram just fine but you should see me with a Dremmel in hand. It's not a pretty sight.
A man rides on his STeed, says “Why am I short of attention? Got a short little span of attention”.

You can call me Steve, with apologies to Paul Simon.

current:
ST1300 2014 Police

pre-kids:
CX500
CB900
CB400NB
CB350
1964 Yamaha YG-1 80cc

IBA #76608,  FR #1170