Author Topic: While your rear wheel is off...  (Read 2076 times)

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
While your rear wheel is off...
« on: November 17, 2014, 01:13:16 PM »
I hope that it's ok to post this here because it's a perfect time to check the rear wheel drive rubbers when the tyre is to be replaced.

I decided to open up the inner hub of the rear rim to check the 5 drive rubbers for wear.
My rear wheel drive seemed to have some slack when powering on and off. My local dealer suggested fitting aluminium shims on the non-drive edge of each rubber to take up the slack, but once I got to these rubbers they were still a fairly snug fit into the wheel. When I removed them this is what I found:

These are the 5 drive rubbers that fit snuggly inside the alloy wheel rim.
The side facing up is the side that makes contact with the rim.
You can see that on two of the rubbers that the alloy piece inside has worn it's way through the rubber and has made metal-to-metal contact with the rim.

Here is a photo of the inside of the alloy rim where the rubbers fit. You can see where the two worn rubbers have worn the rim, and you can see how it is supposed to look (when looking at the other three slots).

You can also see some grooves worn into the outer arc of the slots in the alloy rim.

I can only assume that they became dry and grabbed on the drive plate posts during acceleration and deceleration causing excessive wear on two of the rubbers.
 So, I reckon that it's probably a good idea to check these regularly and to remove them and wipe some rubber grease over them and a wipe of grease over the drive posts. My bike has traveled less than 83,000 k's and I don't ride it hard.

In my case the wear is already there... the bike still rides fine. So I will affix some rubber washers to the two worn rubbers and make sure that I wipe some rubber grease over them all before refitting them... and keep an eye on them at tyre changes. Down the track I aim to replace the alloy wheel and drive rubbers.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 04:36:21 PM by Brock »

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Re: While your rear wheel is off...
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 01:32:31 PM »
Good find.

You can read a lot more about the subject here:

http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=7604.msg87344#msg87344

and here:

http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=7871.msg90618#msg90618

Do a search on "cush rubbers".

++
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 01:37:10 PM by Biggles »
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline pault

• ST
Re: While your rear wheel is off...
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 09:09:00 PM »
and don't forget the good grease for the splines