Author Topic: Throttle Cable Lubrication  (Read 3450 times)

Offline zevk

• ST1300ABS
Throttle Cable Lubrication
« on: June 14, 2014, 04:30:01 PM »
I have had a slightly dragging / stiff throttle for the past few months, despite spraying lithium grease inside the throttle controler and housing.  :well

As I have not seen any detailed posts on this forum or the US forum I decided to write up a post.   :CB--

I decided I would try to lubricate the cables without removing them from the bike.
It saved me lifting / removing the tank, air filter cover and air filter housing to detach the cables from the throttle bodies.
I also wanted to clean and re-lubricate the throttle control and housing. 

This is how I did it:

Remove Right bar end.

Loosen completly, the 15mm cable locknuts on the push cable (bottom) and pull cable (top)

Loosen the 10 mm locking nut on the upper pull cable and wind the adjuster and locking nut all the way in (clockwise) to create maximum cable slack.

Remove the 2, "JIS" style bolts (caution, using a normal philips head may destroy the head of the bolt if its in very tight) that hold the throttle housing halves together.

Split the case as far apart as possible and remove the single gold colored philips head screw that holds the kill switch and its electric wire to the uper housing.
Give it a wiggle and it will free up from the white tab on the upper housing.

With a GOOD, quality, medium-sized needle nose plier, CAREFULLY grip the upper pull cable, 15 mm from its ball end and slowly pry it up and off and slide outward from throttle hole. do the same with the lower push cable. Note, grab the cable carefully, any "split ends" created or that are present will require cable replacement... :'(

Remove the throttle controler from the bar.

I have a dedicated motorcycle cable oiler, see photo attached, but it was easier to use the funel bag method described below.

To create a funnel for the oil, just snip a very small corner off a zip lock bag, insert 1 cable thru the opening and tape the bag corner opening tight to the end of the cable sleeve. tape the cable vertically to any part of the bike, so it stands upright to allow the oil to fill level.
Create a funnel and fill about 20 ml light machine oil.
Do the same for the other cable and let the oil seep thru the funel you created for at least 10 minutes. You can wiggle the cable thru the sheath to encourage the oil to penetrate.   

Use WD40 or light degreaser on all parts including the inside of the throttle controller and get everything as clean and dry as possible.
Some people use a light spray of silicone lubricant, but I decided to use a very small amount of dry graphite powder on all moving components.

Re-assemble everything in the reverse order and be very carefull not to overtighten the 2 bolts that hold the throttle halves together as the housing is NOT MADE from metal as I assumed but from a hard plastic and you can easily strip out the threads...

Verify heated grips and throttle lock (if aplicable) are not inducing any drag and that they work correctly.

My throttle drag is now gone, it snaps back quickly in all steering positions and is much smoother to operate!

I would recomend this job to everyone! Allow 1-2 hours and you will be amazed at the results! 

Good Luck!  :thumbs
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 09:06:21 AM by zevk »
Zev

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
  • Everything is improved with "Flashing lights"
Re: Throttle Cable Lubrication
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 08:30:41 PM »
Great write up Zevk - should work equally as well for the 1100 as well.
Many Thanks,
A.
I acknowledge hardworking Australians no matter who they are or where they come from. All those who have contributed to this wonderful country deserve an equal share of gratitude for their contributions. To single any group of individuals out for special homage only denigrates the rest of us.

Offline zevk

• ST1300ABS
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 08:33:36 PM »
glad to be of help!
Zev

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 09:32:18 PM »
Great work mate, thanks for sharing :hatwave
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline Wombat

• NR2016 Group
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Surveyors are on the level
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 10:24:10 PM »
great writeup. :clap  My 1100 drags quite a bit but it makes a good cruise control.  :grin  Will do this and report in a few weeks when I get back from os  Wot thuh
Thanks again

:wht11
Proud ozSToc 573
FR 719
LDR542
IBA59500
White has the power
A lost surveyor is called an explorer

Offline gaz

• The dark knight! The vigilante! The caped-crusader!
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Then be The Batman
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 09:46:08 AM »
Great work mate, thanks for sharing :hatwave

:thumb
Taking over one emoticon at a time >:D