Author Topic: Bodø's Taswegian Odyssey  (Read 13357 times)

Bodø

Re: Bodø's Taswegian Odyssey
« Reply #100 on: November 24, 2019, 06:22:23 PM »
Not as rare as I thought.  So what happens if the lights come on when your half way through it?  Do you have to exit it and the next exit or can you still proceed to your preferred exit?

Offline Shillas

• SA NatRally 2022
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Better Red than Dead
« Reply #101 on: November 24, 2019, 07:37:35 PM »
Great report as always. Gotta watch out for those girls that are self medicating early in the morning though 😂
Shillas :13Candy

CB 125 - long gone
RD 200 - long gone
CB 250T - long gone
XJ 650 - reasonably long gone
XV 750 - reasonably long gone
VN 800 - gone
ST 1100 - recently gone
ST 1300 - In the garage

Online Kev Murphy

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • 98 ST1100 Portland, SW Vic coastal.
« Reply #102 on: November 24, 2019, 07:44:33 PM »
Only a minor typo,  :grin
0428 306 496

kjmurphy2@bigpond.com

Online Kev Murphy

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #103 on: November 24, 2019, 07:49:05 PM »
So what happens if the lights come on when your half way through it? 

Well, if you really want to add to your train collection...
0428 306 496

kjmurphy2@bigpond.com

« Reply #104 on: November 25, 2019, 04:41:34 AM »
Ha ha.  I've a thing about spatlese who stop in roundabouts.

The following users thanked this post: Kev Murphy

« Reply #105 on: November 25, 2019, 01:23:56 PM »
Day 25 Ride Report

Only a short one today.  I woke up my usual ungodly hour.  I pottered around my room for an hour or so before going to the laundry.  Somehow I managed to change the washing machine settings after not being able to on two previous attempts.  When I went back to transfer the clothes from the washing machine to the dryer it was sunny as despite rain being forecast.  That all turned to cloud when I went back half an hour later to empty the dryer.

Washing sorted and got on the bike and head for Bakers Beach.

I am sure these are the only kangaroos I have seen in Tasmania.  I've seen a shipload of wallabies though.

I went as far as the point you pay entry fees for the national park before turning around and heading back towards Devonport.  Today's letterbox is from Wesley Vale.

Is Don, is good.

I didn't know there was a railway museum in Don.  The trains run but not on monday or tuesday so I couldn't board one.  It only runs three and a half kilometers so n great loss.  If I ever come back I'll do the Queenstown to Zeehan train.

I'm glad I don't have to type my ride reports with one of these typewriters.  There'd be more tippex than paper.

Hell yeah !

There were quite of few of these signs.  I knew where they all were except for Woodbury, Vermont and Hanleth.  I'll google map those after posting this report.

Even railways have side cars. 

Then it was time to turn around and get on the bike.

I went via Forth and Lillico before getting back on the A1 finishing the day with a paltry 100km.  I didn't even refuel at Shearwater.  They know me by now so may begin to have withdrawal symptons.

Back at base I hoovered the room.  I bought lunch at Wesley Vale as I was getting on the bike saw the blackboard said scallop pies.  I think that's a Taswegian delicacy so I may have to go back tomorrow and try one.

I don't know what my plans for tomorrow are.  Camp Banksia have said I can stay in the room until early afternoon.  Washing's done and I think I remember how I pack up the bike.  Forecast rain hasn't eventuated yet but either way I shan't be going too far as I am on the ferry back to the big island north of the Tasmanian mainland tomorrow evening.

Wednesday... haven't booked any accommodation so depending on how I sleep on the boat may even make a straight dash for Adelaide.  There's plenty of places to pull up stumps in between if I don't feel up to doing it all in one hit.

The following users thanked this post: Biggles, Shiney, Wild Rose, richo, Kev Murphy, Jdbiker, ruSTynutz

Bodø

« Reply #106 on: November 26, 2019, 03:46:43 AM »
I got a beach cabin.  :whistle
I assume that is the one at Camp Banksia  :'(

Yes

Initially the beach cabin wasn't my first choice but took it as the en-suite cabins were already take but in hindsight it turned out to be a better option.  Having my own kitchen was a big plus.  I booked it that long ago I don't recall what the different in price was.

On the en-suite cabins been fully booked, I am convinced that cabin 3 stayed empty for my entire  stay.  PC's cabin has had one occupant in it for the last three days and the hall was used for a function on saturday night but for the most part the park has been a ghost town.  That said, it's been a great base for me to ride around the north of the island.

Today I pack up my bags and load the bike for the first time in two weeks and bid Camp Banksia goodbye.  I thank them for their hospitality.  Actually I have been content with all my accommodation in Tasmania.

The following users thanked this post: ruSTynutz

« Reply #107 on: November 26, 2019, 06:12:25 PM »
Day 26 Ride Report

This morning I woke up at 1:30ish.  Any other day I probably would have gone back to bed but as I want to sleep through the ferry journey arriving at the port tired would actually suit me so I got up and had a shower.  I went outside to check on my bike as I do most mornings and saw this little wallaby behind it at the fence.  I tried getting a photo but it isn't that clear.

First task after that was put the dishes, pots and pans away.  Then it was a case of rotating between playing on the computer and packing stuff up.

I had hoped to finish off my breakfast cereal. I needed to make space so I could carry Shillas's rally pack.   :Stirpot

I am pretty sire this will be my last lime milk for quite some time.  I'm a big fan.

Two of the locals came to see me off.

It bucketed it down for most of the wee hours of the morning with thunderstorms as well but cleared up by the time I loaded the bike at 7:30.  With the kwaka loaded it was time to hit the road.

Initial plan was to vegetate in my room until early afternoon.  That went out the window when Gra Har suggested having coffee in Devonport.
So I head off back to Braddens Lookout where I had gone yesterday before traversing new roads through Forth, Forthside, Melrose and Eugenana before returning via the riverside road from Latrobe to Ambleside.

This was at Eugenana.

Twin axles on the rear of this motorhome in Tarleton.

After riding from Balranald to Warrnambool I said I can now say I have ridden the Pyrenees.  I guess I can now also say I have sailed the Mersey.

I had a look at Molly Malones that Gra Har mentioned last night.

The first time I have used a designated motorcycle parking spot in Tasmania.  You get more width that you do in Adelaide.

After making contact with Gra Har whom had only joined the forum last night (but some of you know through Ulysses) I went to his house for coffee.  Ironically I had ridden past it earlier in the day.  He makes a great coffee.  He also showed me some cool stuff like this.  I want one.

Finally I made my way to East Devonport and vegetated for a while.

I said it when I arrived in Tassie that we needed one of these at the Melbourne end.

Bikes were almost the last on.

Every state says this.  Are they trying to imply that other states don't?  One thing I can say about the Tasmanian fixed cameras it they all face the opposite way and flashing a bike from the front doesn't get you a number plate.

By this time I had seen Sicman and St2up roll in.  They're on the ferry somewhere.

Last week I sent Spirit Of Tasmania an email requesting to get the same cabin I had on the way over as it was in the middle.  I got a reply saying that they can't guarantee that but I got it.  I intend to crash into bed now.

So oiverall how much of Tasmania did I see?

Good night.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 07:35:38 PM by Bodø »

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Wild Rose, Kev Murphy, Jdbiker, ruSTynutz

Offline richo

• Richo
  • Legendary Member
  • ST 2009
« Reply #108 on: November 26, 2019, 07:07:52 PM »
 :thumbsup.    Impressive coverage of tasmania
Richo

Offline Shillas

• SA NatRally 2022
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Better Red than Dead
« Reply #109 on: November 26, 2019, 07:09:37 PM »
Great report as usual. I owe you a box of Special K for bringing the pack back?  :chocolate-box-smiley-emoticon
Shillas :13Candy

CB 125 - long gone
RD 200 - long gone
CB 250T - long gone
XJ 650 - reasonably long gone
XV 750 - reasonably long gone
VN 800 - gone
ST 1100 - recently gone
ST 1300 - In the garage

Online Wild Rose

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Toowoomba, Qld
« Reply #110 on: November 26, 2019, 07:38:31 PM »
Another great report  :hatwave
Sleep well Bodo  :runyay
Leo (Wild Rose)
Honda ST 1300
:rd13       :blk13                            :Spyder
 2002                            New 29-04-13 

Ulysses #49154
FarRider #243

Online Kev Murphy

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #111 on: November 26, 2019, 07:46:54 PM »
Sleep well Bodø  :thumb
0428 306 496

kjmurphy2@bigpond.com

Bodø

« Reply #112 on: November 27, 2019, 03:22:26 AM »
I slept well, but woken before we hit the dock.

To all on the ferry, rest well, tomorrow is another day.

I put my tablet by the window so it can get GPS readings.  I tried to upload my progress to imaghstr but it's not allowing me to upload any images.

« Reply #113 on: November 27, 2019, 08:49:26 PM »
Day 27 Ride Report

Like all good things this adventure came to an end today.  But I nearly didn't get on that boat.  Yesterday morning after doing a bit of a ride went back to Devonport to check out the two places Gra Har had mentioned the day before.  Traversing up the hill at Ashburner Street a ute and trailer came flying out of Wenvoe street ignoring the give way sign.  It probably should be a stop sign given the visibilty of the intersection.  I didn't even know there was street there pretty much until he popped out of nowhere.  Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MenZsZmDROM

I wonder if it was wootten or byrne?

I probably didn't mention it in my ride report yesterday because I was already drowsy from taking sea sickness tablets and didn't have photos to jog my memory.  He didn't look, didn't give way, didn't stop or anything.

There were more bikes on the ferry last night than there were on my ferry over, which consisted of just four bikes (and a fifth that went in as freight as the rider had an off and wasn't on the boat).

I'd sent an email to Spirit Of Tasmania requesting the same cabin I had on the way over as it was in the middle of the ship.  I got a response saying they put a note in my reservation but couldn't guarantee anything.  As it turned out I got it.

I woke once just before midnight to use the bathroom and then again at about 5:00am so had a shower and then went for a walk arount the boat.

I had the mobius camera running for the whole trip.  It was held up by a magnetic clamp.  I can tell you the window frame is very magnetic.

I think I was the last one off the boat.  On the way over the bikes were parked sideways but on the way back we were parking parallel to all the cars.

I stumbled across the big miner at Warrenheip so I bagged that.

The big ned kelly was only metres away.

To be honest I didn't plan on bagging those but happened to see them.  I did however know I was going through Ballarat so wanted to find this one that was posted in the big things thread.

The Big Hens at Ballarat.

Well guess what, once in Ballarat I googled where exactly they were and I can tell you one place they are not at - Ballarat.  They're actually in Meredith miles from my course so I didn't deviate for them.  Another day perhaps.  I did get the giant koala for a second time.

I'd seen this camp on Dobie after the Smythesdale RTE but not bothered to stop it.  Today I took some photos but still have no idea what it's all about.

I stopped there, not in the car park.

I told you Kev I have a funny story about Kaniva.  I refuelled there and grabbed an ice coffee (I couldn't find any lime milk) and took it to a park bench and had a breather.  Then I heard an almighty metallic klang as this steel contraption fell off the back of a ute as it rounded the corner.  It could have been nasty if he hastly taken the corner to not give way to an oncoming vehicle because they wouldn't have seen it until the last minute.

I don't know what it is but the driver attempted to drag it off the road.

Others came to help. There were four or five of them but even together they couldn't make it budge.

I stopped at the Bordertown Motel to put an overnight marker on my spot as I forgot to do it on the way in.  I did that with a meal marker at Queestown.

I almost always stop here.  Kev mentioed it in the spotwalla thread and I have on previous ride reports but maily because it's between two point to point cameras and adding some minutes in between can't hurt.

I was curious as to whether my trip metre would go to five digits but I took a photo of 9999·9 just in case.

I now know that it goes back to zero.  I don't know why.  There's space for an extra digit as the odometre has gone to six digits without a decimal point.

Back home it just read 4·6km which means for the whole trip I did 10004·6 km.

Overall I had a great time.  There were highlights, lowlights, disappointments, rain, sleet, wind, more wind, even more wind.  Carving it up in the mud from Cockle Creek was fun.  The Tarkine road was awesome, meeting lots of Ozstocers for the first time and attending a national rally was a good memory too.  Sudden sharp curves with no signs to warn you, gravel in the bends was not fun.  I think my brake pads will be grateful to be back on the mainland.  I hardly touched them today.  The bike not starting in Corinne was probably the worst moment of the trip.  All sorts of thoughts went through my head at the time.

I was a tad nervous about being on the boat for so long but it turned out to be okay.  I slept on both but the tablets I took for it made me very thirsty the following day.  Also that night after coming off the boat I felt my motel room rocking as it was on the seas and I am feeling it in my house right now.  I'm thirsty too.

I had hoped to talk to Big Gaz at the rally but despite being registered he didn't make an appearance.

Bring on Mudgee.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 02:46:00 AM by Bodø »

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Wild Rose, Kev Murphy, Jdbiker, ruSTynutz

Online Kev Murphy

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #114 on: November 27, 2019, 09:01:34 PM »
Thanks for the write up and the photos mate, that was a close one with the Wootton wetard!

Rest well, and I hope to catch up with you again soon. When do you go back to work?
0428 306 496

kjmurphy2@bigpond.com

Bodø

« Reply #115 on: November 27, 2019, 09:08:54 PM »
Monday.

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
    • "Destined to Drive" Driving School
« Reply #116 on: November 27, 2019, 09:43:45 PM »
I enjoyed reading about your adventures, Bodø...  :thumbs

Thanks muchly!  :clap :beer :-++

2005 Honda ST1300A

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #117 on: November 27, 2019, 10:18:31 PM »
Well done with all the photos and comments.  You have an eye for the unusual that makes for an interesting read.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline richo

• Richo
  • Legendary Member
  • ST 2009
« Reply #118 on: November 28, 2019, 05:05:56 AM »
 :rockon. Well done on all of your photos and reports.  Always good reading
Richo

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #119 on: November 28, 2019, 07:54:13 AM »
Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

Bodø

« Reply #120 on: November 28, 2019, 08:10:57 AM »

Bodø

« Reply #121 on: November 30, 2019, 05:17:15 AM »
I didn't even know there was street there pretty much until he popped out of nowhere.  Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MenZsZmDROM

Looking back at it I did know there was a street there and I was slowing down to check the street name on the sign.  That was probably the difference between there being a collision and there not being one.

Bodø

« Reply #122 on: December 01, 2019, 01:57:55 PM »
Day 19 Ride Report

I did stop and take a photo fo this at Mooreville.

https://youtu.be/Xg8M-8BqTGs  :grin

I've got a video of me riding through a tunnel in Japan with the Timelords' version of "Doctoring The Tardis" on it.  I'll have a look for it when I get back to Adelaide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y53AgCowOTg

The following users thanked this post: ruSTynutz

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #123 on: December 05, 2019, 12:48:39 AM »
Thank you for sharing your odyssey with us Bodø :-++
It was awesome :thumbsup
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

« Reply #124 on: December 05, 2019, 04:25:18 AM »
I'll be looking forward to your video reports.   :thumbs