Author Topic: Bodø's Taswegian Odyssey  (Read 13376 times)

Bodø's Taswegian Odyssey
« on: November 01, 2019, 06:07:35 PM »
Day 1 Ride Report

Oh yeah baby, it got underway today in what was somewhat a case of Déjà vu.  One took a leaf out of his Smythdale RTE road trip:

after the roster dealt me an early finish on friday I decided to go to Bordertown after work and stay there for the night.

Rain had been forecast but I beat it to Bordertown.  Within half an hour it was bucketing down but I did get to unload and lock up a dry bike, albeit in the dark.

Eighty dollars for a room was a bargain, and as per our conversation Rex it was quite clean and big.  If need be I'd stay there again.

The only difference was longer days and daylight saving meant it was unlikely to be dark before I arrived.  Although I had initially been rostered the same shift as the day I left before Smythedale I managed to swap it for an earlier one.

Likewise rain had been forecast.  Did I beat it?  Well sort of.  It came down just as I pulled into the Bordertown OTR but disappeared by the time I had gone in and paid for my fuel and milk.

I'm in the same room I was in before and like last time the restaurant is closed tonight so I grabbed a beer on check in.

Prior to getting here I stopped at my usual rest area in Coonalpyn.  There's a bed here for anyone who wants it.

The kwaka is locked up for the night.  Time for a beer.

Spot:

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=20cf05dbaa08db1180&hoursPast=0&showAll=yes
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 07:12:08 PM by Bodø »

The following users thanked this post: Sicman, Shiney, Wild Rose, Kev Murphy, Jdbiker, ruSTynutz

Online Wild Rose

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Toowoomba, Qld
Re: Bodø's Taswegian Odyssey
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 07:03:54 PM »
Looking forward to the usual good read and Photos and looking forward to catching up in Tassie  :hatwave
Leo (Wild Rose)
Honda ST 1300
:rd13       :blk13                            :Spyder
 2002                            New 29-04-13 

Ulysses #49154
FarRider #243

Offline Jdbiker

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 08:13:21 PM »
Cheers and safe travels.....see you in Port Sorrel  :hatwave
Jdbiker.
2008 red ST1300A
1980 Yamaha XS 1100
1974. Yamaha TX 500 sold
1984   Kawasaki GT 750
1975  Honda GL1000 selling

Honda XL 250 sold
Suzuki TS 100
2000 Honda ST1100P
1988 Enfield Bullet 350
 1941 Royal Enfield WD/C 350 engine
2021 Royal Enfield Bullet 500
2024 Honda Transalp coming

Bodø

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 03:53:30 PM »
Day 2 Ride Report

I slept in by my standards.  In fact it was light when I woke up.  I think waking up at 0130 yesterday, doing a full shift at work and then the ride to Bordertown caught up with me.  Consequently I didn't have breakfast and loaded up the bike for today's ride.

I was volunteering at the library the other day, when a woman asked if I knew any good authors of dinosaur books.
I said. "Try Sarah Topps".

I spotted that outside the Pinball Museum in Nhill and thought it would be a good "where is this?" photo.  There were other dinosaurs there and as I was taking photos someone came out and told me what it was all about.  Apparently they got a new dinosaur pinball machine and the Jurassic Park theme was there for november only.  He called it Dinovember.  He also offered to open the pinball machines up for me to take photos.  I haven't booked accommodation after Tasmania so I may stay there on the way back.

I spotted Molly Meldrum digging for worms in this roundabout at Minyip.

After that I over-endulged on Victorian weather and copped rain for the rest of the day.  Photo opportunities were at a premium.  I am in Melbourne for two nights before sailing on monday.

I'm not sure what I am going to do tomorrow, but I have noticed I have forgotten my cutlery set so I'll probably walk around Preston and replace them.  Then again, knowing me I'll probably get up early, get bored and say sod it, and take the bike somewhere.  Watch this space.

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Wild Rose, Jdbiker, ruSTynutz

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 05:46:19 PM »
Day 3 Ride Report

After posting yesterday's ride report I learned that the South Preston woolies is open to midnight (even on saturday) so went and bought some cutlery.  That and fine weather this morning meant I was going for a ride.  It might not show up well in the photo but I could vaguely see a building behind the clouds.

My destination for today was to check out the Australian mainland's most southern point at Tidal River but not before making a wrong turn and stopping here at Pearcedale and opening google maps to see where I was.

This boat in Tooradin won't be the only one I see on this trip.

This was in Koo Wee Rup.  I have no idea what it is.

This one was in Loch Village.  I know this one, it's an old car.

Unlike South Australian national parks it was free to ride into Wilsons Promontory.

There some good views but I didn't stop at all of them.  This one sort of reminded me of Stenhouse Bay.

The tarmac ran out at Tidal River.

I can see why it is called Tidal River.

Like when I went to Sata Peninsula in Kagoshima in 2016 the road to Mount Oberon was closed to traffic, but they did have a free shuttle bus.  Lots of people were waiting for it and there was no information on when it will depart so I didn't hang around.

I didn't make many stops on the way home as I wanted to beat the rain, but the road from Korumburra to Warragal was a nice ride.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 05:31:40 AM by Bodø »

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Wild Rose, Kev Murphy, Jdbiker, ruSTynutz

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2019, 06:30:59 PM »
Thanks for sharing your adventure with us BG.

..... South Preston woolies is open to midnight (even on saturday) so went and bought some cutlery.

Reminds me of the last time I was in Adelaide (attending a conference), left my tootbrush at home, first night - around midnight - looking for somewhere to buy one, turned left as I walk out the front of the hotel, and walked around town for an hour, finally found one 50m from the hotel - shoulda turned right.

Next night after the conference, a number of colleagues and me looking for a pizza - around midnight - found a place, but it was closing, asked a few locals, "where can I get a good pizza?".  The reply was, "Melbourne!"

Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

Bodø

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2019, 06:47:31 PM »
Reminds me of the last time I was in Adelaide (attending a conference), left my tootbrush at home, first night - around midnight - looking for somewhere to buy one, turned left as I walk out the front of the hotel, and walked around town for an hour, finally found one 50m from the hotel - shoulda turned right.

Addresses in many parts of Japan are like that.  Without street names addresses go by blocks 1,2,3 etc. where you get all the way round and 64 was one or two houses back from where 1 started.

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
    • "Destined to Drive" Driving School
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2019, 08:36:50 AM »
Day 3 Ride Report
I didn't make many stops on the way home as I wanted to beat the rain, but the road from Korumburra to Warragal was a nice ride.

Damn, you could've called in for a cuppa!  :Wot thuh:  :thumbsup

2005 Honda ST1300A

Bodø

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2019, 10:48:43 AM »
Next time  !

The following users thanked this post: ruSTynutz

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 06:17:44 PM »
Day 4 Ride Report

I've stayed at the hotel before but this time I noticed they has Japan style vending machines and products in it you'd find in Japan.  Pocari Sweat brings back memories.  That stuff is only drinkable after you've worked up a sweat.

With a short distance to travel I waited until just before checkout to load up the kwaka.  The trolley was a big help.  I also packed bags differently so I'd only need to bring two into the ferry's cabin.  Dirty washing can stay in a pannier until tomorrow afternoon.

Then it was a short ride up to Office Works to print my ferry e-ticket.  I'd done that before leaving Adelaide but must have left those copies at home.  I more or less winged it from there to Port Melbourne, arriving at the port with heaps of time to kill.

I went to Coles and bought breakfast before taking it to the beach and eating it at Albert Park.

I zoomed in on this bridge.  I am guessing it may be my way out of Melbourne when I return to the mainland in three weeks times.

Then I decided to go for a ride down the coast, keeping it simple so I could turn back and know the way.  First stop was Saint Kilda.

Being in Melbourne I had pakd on the footpath, went to walk away and spotted this sign.

The bike was promptly moved.

I rode as far as Sandringham before turning around and coming back to Port Melbourne.  I copped a bit of rain.

A cruise ship was in town and  with shuttle buses coming and going I took the time to do some gunzelling.

There were a couple of bikes here when I arrived.

A couple more arrived and it appeared they were from the same group.  They'd come over from Tassie before doing the Great Ocean Road.  One of them had an off in Ballarat and went to Bendigo before discovering they had a broken collar bone.  The other three came to Melbourne before two of them went back to Bendigo to collect the injured party's bike.

Without a rider it was now classed as freight and loaded on to the bike with a forklift.  Had I known that was going to happen I'd have had my camera ready for a better photo.

It was interesting to watch this prime mover just moved semi trailer freight on and off the boat.  I guess it's way cheaper than to have individual lorries trucks and their drivers make the journey across.

I'm now in my cabin for the night.  The boat is about to sail.

I've set the mobius camera to take time lapse photos as I sleep.  I intend to crash into bed soon.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 03:28:16 AM by Bodø »

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Wild Rose, Kev Murphy, Jdbiker

Online Wild Rose

• Toowoomba, Qld
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2019, 06:29:42 PM »
Enjoy your trip over Bodo  :runyay
Leo (Wild Rose)
Honda ST 1300
:rd13       :blk13                            :Spyder
 2002                            New 29-04-13 

Ulysses #49154
FarRider #243

Online NTRebel

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • red centre red bike
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2019, 07:26:21 PM »
The bridge is the westgate bridge just be wary if it happens to be windy and looks like St Kilda has changed a bit since I was last there.
I'm not strange i'm just not normal {Salvador Dahli}

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2019, 06:47:49 PM »
Day 5 Ride Report

I slept like a log on the boat, waking up once at about midnight, going to the bathroom and crashing back into bed again.  The boat was in the Devonport Dock when I woke up again.  I wasn't expecting that and began to hurry packing.  Then an announcement came of the tannoy that is was 0545 with disembarking to commence at 0630 so I needn't have rushed.  It gave me time to have a shower.

This is good to know for the return trip, although I could really have done with one of these shelters in Melbourne.  For the record I had sunshine until I got to Ouse, but it got cloudy after that.

I refuelled at Deloraine where I saw this Lime flavored milk.  I loved spearmint milk when I lived in Perth but haven't seen it anywhere else so I had to give the lime milk ago.  I wasn't let down.  Very nice... and I'll be having more before I return to the mainland.

I took this warning in Golden Valley.

Highlight of the day (lime milk aside) was probably the Great Lake at Central Plateau.

I saw these orange road markings on roads that are obviously prone to snow.  I reminds me of playing football in my youth where we used orange balls to play in the snow.  I often saw orange poles of this size on the side of the road in Perth but they were bus stops.

I saw a lot of burnt out forests as well.  This one was in Steppes near the sculptures.

This Bentley was at Ouse.  I saw a lot of them, all with Western Australian number plates.  I guess they're here for a convention or something.

My first wrong turn (well missing the turnoff to be precise) took me to Wayatinah before checking my progress and backtracking to Ouse.

I was going to Gordon Dam.  I didn't actually get there.  I fell short of Lake Peddler by about thirty kilometres before deciding to pull the pin and head for Hobart.  There were ice warning signs on that road, the temperature had plummeted to 2℃, the roads were wet and when it started to drizzle decided it wasn't worth the risk.  Certainly not on day one.  This was Florentine.

This was on a yard in Maydena.  I don't know why though.

My only spot of gunzelling was in Fitzgerald.

Belive it or not, National Park is the locality name.

I spotted a bus there too.  The destination screen said "grumpy old tourists".

That's my reflection in the window so I'm not a vampire.

I'm in Glenorchy for the next four nights.  I think it's the first time I've bought a three litre bottle of milk on a road trip.

What's weird is I didn't get seasick on the boat but I am getting it now as I sit in my room.  I feel the floor rocking as though it's on the water.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 08:10:03 PM by Bodø »

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Wild Rose, Kev Murphy, Jdbiker, ruSTynutz

Offline Shillas

• SA NatRally 2022
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Better Red than Dead
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2019, 08:03:58 PM »
Good report there, thanks.
Shillas :13Candy

CB 125 - long gone
RD 200 - long gone
CB 250T - long gone
XJ 650 - reasonably long gone
XV 750 - reasonably long gone
VN 800 - gone
ST 1100 - recently gone
ST 1300 - In the garage

Online Langers

• Legendary Member
  • 2008 ST 1300 (sold) 2018 V-Strom 1000
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2019, 08:30:53 PM »
Good report there, thanks.
Times two.
The long range weather forecast looks a bit dismal for the next 2 or 3 weeks but nothing too horrendous. I'm very much looking forward to your daily reports. I'm heading over Monday night and Julie is joining me in Hobart Tuesday evening and will stay for 2 weeks while we attend the rally and circumnavigate the island (where bitumen permits).
Have a great ride and we'll catch you in 10 days or so.
FarRider #726
Mobile: 0418 817 851

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2019, 04:48:51 PM »
Day 6 Ride Report

The agenda for today was to do Bruny Island and if time permitted the B68 down and around the peninsula you find Verona Sands.  I don't know if it has a name.  My friend waited for two and a half hours to cross to Bruny Island and I think Williamson also mentioned something along those lines so I left early and got there first vehicle on the rank.

Mind you, when inquiring if they had a booking system the email they set back to me was if there was a big line ride around it and park next to the ticket booth if I was a solitary bike and they'd fit me in.  It wasn't required in any direction.

It didn't take long for a line to form.

Just out of Kettering I spotted the first ferry traversing the reverse direction.

Once on Bruny I took the opportunity to climb the Truganini lookout.  I was the only one there but it was lots of people jammed up there when I rode past on the way back.

Just like on the Great Ocean Road in 2017 I was greeted with a roadworks sign in Chinese in South Bruny.

One for the letter box collection.  The penguin even had an egg on it's feet like the ones in Antarctica do.

I encountered some dirt roads, but fortunately the fallen tree wasn't on one I had to traverse.

Seeing this sign reminded me of my first trips to Innes National Park and Flinders Nation Park in 2015.

That said, I was prepared to pay and stopped to do so only to find there was no envelopes in the box so I couldn't.

I snapped this in  the final five kilometres to the light house.

And there she is:

I checked out a few more places on the way back.  Adventure Bay was the pick of them.

As I was approaching the ferry I could see a whole line of cars making their way in the opposite direction which only mean the ferry had just come in and I could ride straight on.  Sure enough it was there and I could.

Time did permit so I did go to Verona Sands.  In fact, I was back in my motel room by 1300 hours.  With rain and hail forecast for the afternoon that actually suited me fine.  It's sunny now but we did have rain and strong wind which I avoided.  I think the hail was more for the evening but as the parking is under cover here I should be right.

As I was back early I took the opportunity to do some washing.  Neither the washing machine nor the dryers needed coins which was a surprise.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 04:52:40 PM by Bodø »

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Wild Rose, Kev Murphy, Jdbiker, Langers, ruSTynutz

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2019, 09:00:18 PM »
What's weird is I didn't get seasick on the boat but I am getting it now as I sit in my room.  I feel the floor rocking as though it's on the water.

That effect is caused by sleeping through the time there was a swell.  Your vestibular system registered the rocking and is still stabilising.
I actually find the sensation pleasant.
FWIW, Blackmores make the best sea sickness prophylactic, and it's purely an extract of ginger.
I learned about them when doing the Bruny Island Adventure boat ride 7 years ago.  Before we left the dock we were given our waterproofs and the briefing.  The last bit of the briefing was "We're offering you these sea-sickness tablets.  They're free here and $40 each outside in the open ocean."  I'm susceptible to motion sickness, and the swell was huge, but I felt fine all the time.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2019, 09:31:23 PM »
I'm not too sure about those "ginger" sea sickness tablets... :o
I don't normally suffer sea sickness and I've done the Spirit of Tassie plenty of times.
Think it was on my second last trip I decided, just to be safe, to take a sea sick tablet and, before long I started to feel queasy & the boat felt like it was rocking.
Stupid part was, we hadn't even left Station Pier... :rofl
On the return trip it was rough as guts but funnily enough, without a tablet I was fine...go figure...  :thumbsup

2005 Honda ST1300A

Bodø

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2019, 02:58:40 AM »
I remember getting a ferry from Shanghai to Kōbe and being fine yet the one from Kagoshima to Naha I was unwell.  I'd never thought of sea sickness tablets until becoming a tour guide for Japanese tourists in Cairns and being taught to recommend them to those going to the reef.

For this trip I did buy some prior to leaving Adelaide and took them prior to boarding at Port Melbourne.  Whether they work or not I don't know arrived in Devonport feeling fine.  I didn't take anything for Bruny Island.

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2019, 01:44:39 PM »
Day 7 Ride Report

I'd like to use some adjectives that could see Brock send me to the norty corner because I've had a drinking shiraz awesome day, even if it was shorter than yesterday.

I departed Glenorchy on first light and whilst rain and strong winds were forecast there were patches of blue sky.  This was in Franklin.

It's been a long time since I've seen one of these flag thingies on top of a service station.  This was in Dover.

I rode into Southport and had a wee look before returning to the road to Lune River.

I certainly didn't expect to find a level crossing down here but there was one in Ida Bay.  Funnily enough, there was a "lookout for trains" sign on Bruny Island yesterday despite there not being a railway there.  I should have taken a photo of it.  Anyway, those clouds did look ominous.

More Chinese on display.  I took this photo because it would make a friend's day.

I'm glad this said John and Chris because I may have thought it was Nigel's. 

The asphalt ran out at Ida Bay and with mud all the way places to safely stop and be confident that the stand wouldn't sink into the ground (even with a shim) were few and far between.  This bridge in Recherche came to the rescue.

I pulled over here in Moss Glen to take photos only for this ute to overtake me and start setting up roadworks.  I encountered them on Bruny island as well.

Not the first black swans I have seen in Tasmania.  There used to be a time (before I moved to Adelaide) that I thought they only existed in Western Australia.

Did someone mention Cockle Creek??  :grin

I can now say I have been there and add it to my milestone.  I did look for the sign you posted it but only saw twenties, not a locality sign saying Cockle Creek.

Not only had the tarmac run out but the mud road also came to an end.

I couldn't get the kwaka up here.

I still had the return trip to go but it was obvious that the bike was up for a wash.

This bridge was cleaner than the other one.

I must admit I did enjoy carving it up in the mud on the way back but I did stop here in Catamaran.

One of my workmates who is originally from Hobart said I ought to go to Hastings Caves.  The road was closed at the information centre and so was the information centre itself.

I didn't hang around.  I didn't make any stops on the way back to Glenorchy.

I'm glad I got to Cockle Creek after failing to get to Gordon Dam two days ago.  Mud and gravel doesn't bother me too much.  Ice on the other hand...

Prior to departing Adelaide I had tossed up whether to bring my summer riding gear or my spring/autumn stuff.  I went for the summer so despite having two layers of orange on I was feeling a tad cold.  The warm shower upon my return was very welcome.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 05:25:09 PM by Bodø »

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2019, 05:53:32 PM »
Did someone mention Cockle Creek??  :grin
I can now say I have been there and add it to my milestone.  I did look for the sign you posted it but only saw twenties, not a locality sign saying Cockle Creek.

Congrats! That photo was taken in 2016 so perhaps all 3 residents have moved on since then?  :crackup

2005 Honda ST1300A

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2019, 05:59:57 PM »
One of my workmates who is originally from Hobart said I ought to go to Hastings Caves.  The road was closed at the information centre and so was the information centre itself.

That's a shame, the caves are definitely worth a look...  :thumbs
And you could also have warmed yourself up in the thermal spring fed swimming pool...  :grin

https://www.discovertasmania.com.au/attraction/hastingscavesandthermalsprings

2005 Honda ST1300A

Bodø

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2019, 06:07:09 PM »
I was actually looking forward to the thermal spring.  I lived in Japan for years and onsen or sentō were a daily thing and something I really miss.

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2019, 06:07:57 PM »
Keep up the good work with your travel posts, Bodø...I'm enjoying the "reminiscing" ++  :grin

If you get the chance, a visit to the shot tower at Taroona is worth a visit.
It's not far out the Kingston side of Hobart...

https://taroona.tas.au/history/shot-tower/

2005 Honda ST1300A

Bodø

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2019, 06:11:28 PM »
I'll keep that in mind, but tomorrow night is my last in Hobart and tomorrow's plan is Port Arthur.  I haven't even looked at the weather forecast yet.