Author Topic: Stale Fuel - How do I Clean the Tank & Fuel system of Contaminant.  (Read 3569 times)

Offline Hammer

• STuffed
Hi All,

I have previously posted an enquiry regarding what I thought was rust in the fuel tank, however now it appear the "rust like coating" in the tank is in fact a deposit from stale fuel.

When I was draining the remaining fuel from the bottom tank I noticed the colour of the fuel was a deep honey colour and did not smell like normal fuel. It smelt more like sweet paint stripper (if that make sense). When I removed the fuel pump from the lower fuel tank I found it totally caked in a brown substance, see first photo.

The "brown crap" (scientific name) was easliy removed from plastic and rubber parts however it is very difficult to remove from some metal parts.

The secord photo shows the pump upside down and the brown crap is starting to fall off. The third photo shows the pump assemply dried and the brown crap rubbed off areas it would come off easily. You will notice an number of metal components where the brown crap is stuck like *&*^ on a blanket.

I was reading through another thread on this site regarding fuel additives and found reference to fuel going stale. An extract follows.

"In warm conditions, fuel is especially prone to oxidisation which
causes lacquer and gums to form. As a result, the fuel turns dark in
colour, loses its clarity and smells like paint stripper."

So I now I know my problem is not rust but this "lacquer" that has formed from stale fuel.

My question is now how can I remove the lacquer from within the two tanks and fuel system and injectors. I will replace the fuel filter and fuel pump, flush the fuel lines I can get to, but how do I clean the ret of the fuel system and injectors etc. The crap in the tanks is quite dificult to budge, so I am hoping to find some liquid which I can fill the tanks with, to remove or disolve the crap.

Any thougths, suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank in anticipation.

Hammer.  :fp

:blu13

Offline Abe

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • 4D Gang Member
Re: Stale Fuel - How do I Clean the Tank & Fuel system of Contaminant.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 11:10:08 AM »
I would scrub/wipe in a petrol bath, since petrol was the cause.

(In a well ventilated area of course)

Old tooth brushes come in handy for these types of jobs  ++
At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 12:37:33 PM »
White spirits,(20 Ltr drum) spray gun, compressor and well ventilated area face mask.

Have at it..

Never let your bike sit that long..

The Yanks use stuff called Seafoam to clean out there fuel systems, dont know if something similar is available here

Its seems to be a mix of naptha, IPA (Iso Propyl Alcohol) and some sort of light oil. So you need IPA, mothballs and penetrene in a bottle.   Mix in a bottle, (allow mothballs to dissolve), and pour into fuel tank .....

:popcorn
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 02:17:22 PM »
I used Stabil when I parked the ST1100 with a full tank of 98. It supposedly is good for storage.  Got it from Supercheap, other places should have it.  Supposedly it can also clean out the fuel system, but it might take a few tanks fulls for that much build up. Physically cleaning as much as you can first would be better, followed up by fuel system cleaner for a few tanks to get the remainder through the system. The fuel filter might then need replacing again to be on the safe side, or at least have a look at it.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline STeveo

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 06:54:40 PM »
General purpose paint thinners from auto parts stores is what I use to wash off the 'brown crap' but I would not put it through the fuel pump or injectors.

:bl11