Author Topic: Rattling noise under acceleration  (Read 1563 times)

Offline agro69

• Loving Life
Rattling noise under acceleration
« on: October 23, 2018, 12:15:04 PM »
Hi all, hope all is well.

Im here once again for some advise on an issue i have, i purchased my 2008 1300 about 4 mths ago it now has 105,000 will full
service history. My issue is that only under moderate to hard acceleration there is a rattling sound the harder you you twist the
throttle the more prominent the noise is. When you are cruising at whatever speed it is as quiet as a mouse. Even in neutral on the
stand and you whip the throttle its there no where near as prominent as when your riding it but still there. By the way i can feel the
rattle through the pegs as well which made me think maybe uni but then i thought if was the uni why is it still there when in neutral
no were near as bad but still can just hear it. Am really hoping this is a fairly easy fix. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Guys...... :think1 :think1   
Just Another Day In Paradise :-)

...2008...:13Candy...1995...:blk11...1997...:wht11...

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Blackwood, SA
Re: Rattling noise under acceleration
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 12:30:28 PM »
The ST1300 can sound like a bag of rocks under hard accelleration, so it would certainly be worth getting a member to have listen for any unusual noises as a first step.    I had a UV joint fail, and it felt like a buzz though the footpegs, irrespective of throttle position, and which changed intensity as the bike went over undulations as the suspension loaded and unloaded.

Is anyone near Young in a position to help Agro69 by having a listen??
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

The following users thanked this post: agro69

Online Williamson

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • ST Legend
Re: Rattling noise under acceleration
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 01:54:43 PM »
Hi all, hope all is well.

Im here once again for some advise on an issue i have, i purchased my 2008 1300 about 4 mths ago it now has 105,000 will full
service history. My issue is that only under moderate to hard acceleration there is a rattling sound the harder you you twist the
throttle the more prominent the noise is. When you are cruising at whatever speed it is as quiet as a mouse. Even in neutral on the
stand and you whip the throttle its there no where near as prominent as when your riding it but still there. By the way i can feel the
rattle through the pegs as well which made me think maybe uni but then i thought if was the uni why is it still there when in neutral
no were near as bad but still can just hear it. Am really hoping this is a fairly easy fix. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Guys...... :think1 :think1   

Can't help you with this problem.  My limit of mechanical knows is probably not as high as yours, and I'm around 600km away.

A bit late now, but last weekend end quite a few Forum members were riding past, or pretty close to, your door on their way to or from the RTE at Junee.   To get an answer to your current problem would be by itself be good enough reason to keep an eye on the Forum to get an idea of who's who, and where's who.

Is anyone near Young in a position to help Agro69 by having a listen??

I think STroppy will be along soon.
Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

The following users thanked this post: agro69