Author Topic: Black Dog Ride to the Centre  (Read 8696 times)

Offline temala

• Not one of us is as smart as all of us.
Black Dog Ride to the Centre
« on: July 12, 2012, 10:51:54 AM »
Hey guys, the Black Dog Ride to the Centre is well and truly getting everything together.
Riders from all over Australia will be setting off on August 18th and making their way to Alice Springs on the 24th.

If you would like to know more go the home page at: http://www.blackdogride.com.au/view/red-centre-2012

It would be really great to see some OzSToc riders there.
If you can't make it then I would also like you to sponsor me in my effort to raise funds for the Black Dog Institute.

You can do this by going to http://www.everydayhero.com.au/terry_laybourne
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 11:07:49 AM by Streak »
Temala
Red 2003 ST1300A

Offline temala

Re: Black Dog Ride to the Centre
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 11:54:52 AM »
I am trying to post a photo - after instructions from Streak
[/img]
Temala
Red 2003 ST1300A

Offline temala

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 11:56:19 AM »

Ahaa,
It worked
Thanks Streak.
Temala
Red 2003 ST1300A

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 12:11:37 PM »
Great stuff Terry.

It looks like we can sponsor you. Is that right?
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline temala

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 12:55:28 PM »
You sure can.
I would appreciate any support that fellow OzSToc members can give me.
You can donate by going to my fundraising page: http://www.everydayhero.com.au/terry_laybourne
It is hoped that this year's ride will raise $250,000.
That will certainly assist the Black Dog Institute with their research and support for people with depression and other mental health problems.

Temala
Red 2003 ST1300A

Offline Greencan

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 04:04:32 PM »
Arvo All...
Just coming briefly out or 'retirement' just to add this post to the thread...then beetling off again...will read somewhat cryptic to most, but those whom it's addressed will get the message. :wink1

First up well done all that are participating on this ride, it is well worth the effort and hope you all have a great, enjoyable and safe ride :thumbsup

Terry: I will in all likelihood see you up there and will have a beer with you :beer...I will easily see your 6 foot frame towering about all others :eek..either that or I'll kneel down and have a nosey round :law

Mitch: (am presuming you'll read this diatribe), keep an eye out for the ABC 7:30 report in you part of the planet during July, maybe early August :thumb...(maybe in Victoria too...not sure), no plans chiseled in stone to be in Perth as yet...but almost certainly will be over there at some time.

In the mean time enjoy the riding Chaps.

Ciao, the can :)

PS...to Graham / Dave good role up at Esk...well organised, thank U...had a great weekend with Baz on his ST1200, Marissa on her ST400, Brian on his ST1500, George on his ST 1800 and Natalie oh her ST650...hi-light of the weekend was getting into Karen's tights within 5 minutes of being introduced to her (which reminds me, I must return them), and you'll all be pleased to hear my ST has returned to it's lovley GREEN ...ho roo :grin

Offline temala

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 05:34:57 PM »
G'day Greencan,
good to hear from you,
It will be good to catch up with you in Alice Springs. I will keep my eye out for a young fella with dark short hair!
Terry
Temala
Red 2003 ST1300A

Offline temala

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 10:40:19 AM »
Well guys, I have been working on my packing list for the ride to the Red Centre coming up in just over three weeks.
It is quite a comprehensive list as I like to be self sufficient and I tend to camp along the way rather than stay at caravan parks and the like. However, this trip involves booking into caravan parks with the rest of the group. I believe we currently have about 40 riders from Victoria doing the big trip and about 10 more doing an overnighter with us. On the way back I will be doing the "flick a coin" method of coming home.
The bike is looking good but now I need to book it in for a good service and a new set of tyres. I am thinking of going for the Metzeler Z8. I have used the Z6 tyres for the past couple of years and I must say they have been very good to me - plenty of wear for touring and plenty of "stickiness" for the corners.
Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
Also, if you would like support me in this ride as a sponsor then please go to my fundraising site: http://www.everydayhero.com.au/terry_laybourne
Temala
Red 2003 ST1300A

Offline Tipsy

• Landed Gentry
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Laurie
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 08:02:50 PM »
 :wht11 py

cool ... enjoy the trip

as for the tyres I have fitted PR3 both front & rear and that includes the larger rear which fits perfectly.

as for grip well last trip with the group here in Qld I was scraping my highway wings from time to time reminding me to point toes to stop scraping boot heals....

Felt so good. :thumbsup

Tipsy
I am lost and haves gone to find myself
Now If I get back before I return
Please ask me to wait.

Offline temala

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 08:21:23 PM »
Well, after some research, discussion, head scratching, crystal ball gazing,etc I have finally settled for Pirelli Angels front and rear.
Thanks for the input from people who fitted those and other tyres to their ST.
One point that clearly came out was that the original Bridgestones the bike comes with are NOT the tyre to go with.
Anyway, it seems that a lot of people are happy with the Angels so I should find out after around 6000 Km for the upcoming ride to the centre and back. (My original Bridgestones could only manage that before they needed replacing).
My biggest fault with tyres is that I don't check the pressure often enough!! :13Candy
Temala
Red 2003 ST1300A

Offline Carsten

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Carsten
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 10:30:17 PM »
Home from the Black Dog Ride.  Was a brilliant ride and everything it was supposed to be. Great company, put faces to names and enjoyed it immensely.  Completed a group SS1600 on the way home with Lionel (white ST1100) and Paul "Ghosty" on a 650 V Strom.  Will post some photos when our merry group of Tassie travellers get together in a few weeks to exchange photos and share a sauceage sizzle (NOT).  Terry knows what I mean.

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 10:57:10 PM »
Home from the Black Dog Ride.  Was a brilliant ride and everything it was supposed to be. Great company, put faces to names and enjoyed it immensely.  Completed a group SS1600 on the way home with Lionel (white ST1100) and Paul "Ghosty" on a 650 V Strom.  Will post some photos when our merry group of Tassie travellers get together in a few weeks to exchange photos and share a sauceage sizzle (NOT).  Terry knows what I mean.

Great stuff mate. Saw some fantastic pics from the 'Centre' over at FarRiders - sooooooo jealous - got to get to Glen Helen one day.

Glad you guys had a 'ripper'!

Cheers, Diesel
OzSTOC Life Member

Offline Carsten

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Carsten
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2012, 01:46:36 PM »
"Diesel" gets a good mention and the story of why Diesel is called Diesel rated quite a few mentions.

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2012, 03:09:36 PM »
"Diesel" gets a good mention and the story of why Diesel is called Diesel rated quite a few mentions.

Bugger! - I wish I'd filled up my tank with a can of "STUD" or "Great Guy" that day instead.         :rofl

Changed our minds - we don't wanna hear your crappy story now.        :p              :rofl :rofl :rofl

Did you see Temala out there at all?

Cheers, Diesel
OzSTOC Life Member

Offline Carsten

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Carsten
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2012, 07:37:38 PM »
Yeah, we chatted at Bendigo and also met Rex.

Offline temala

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 11:44:51 AM »
G'day Guys,
yep, caught up with a few fellow OzSToc members and gave out some business cards to ST owners. Met some very interesting people - all with stories to tell. Stayed at Greencan's place in Alice with his lovely wife Ella. Thanks Dick and Ella for your friendship and hospitality. Achieved a 1000Km day with new mate (Ross) who was on a Suzuki Marauder (I associate with all sorts of riders!!!)
Experienced lots of Lions BBQs and sausages........ Thanks guys and gals, your support was much appreciated.
Saw lots of other bikes (some I would even like to own!)
Heard lots of stories of heartbreak and how people are dealing with them. It was good to see/hear guys opening up. We fellas are not good at it. Hopefully, the awareness raised by this ride will assist those with "The Black Dog" to go and seek help.
Thanks again, to all the OzSToc member who support me with donations - it was much appreciated.
 :13Candy
Temala
Red 2003 ST1300A

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2012, 12:16:07 PM »
Thanks Terry - you guys are ALL LEGENDS!

Glad it was a great ride - and even "gladder" it supported a great cause.      :thumb

Cheers, Diesel
OzSTOC Life Member

Offline Greencan

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2012, 05:07:08 PM »
Arvo All...
Well we’re still in the Centre and still enjoying day after day of the same weather, warm-n-sunny :grin and I’m still participating on the unofficial Black Dog Ride, now just passed Pt Augusta (in equivalent distance),  will reach the 1000km mark by the end of the week. And for those of you who are thinking of commenting about sore bums and motorcycle seats, trust me even that awful  ST1300 seat doesn’t come within a bulls roar of 40 hours of ‘Prologo’ rammed into ya quackus :eek.

At no stage when I began this exercise stuff on one of Eric Mackenzie’s finest carbon fibre numbers, did I imagine that I’d be exchanging visits to the Cardiologist to that of a Proctologist :'(.

Anyway was great to catch up with Terry et al on the weekend, Friday evening was a tuff gig for Ella and I but very grateful all of the riders who made the effort to ride there and Steve Andrews and others from the Black Dog Institute for inviting us to the event. Apologies to any Ozstoc Members I missed while you guys were in town, glad to hear you all had enjoyable and uneventful (largely), travels...well done you all :thumbsup.

Ciao, the can :)

Offline temala

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2012, 09:18:22 AM »
Dick, you put a face and a heart to what many of were feeling during our ride for The Black Dog. You touched many hearts that night, I know you touched mine, and we all reflected on our own experiences.
Thank you for having the guts to get up there and tell your story.
We all benefited. :thumbs
Temala
Red 2003 ST1300A

Offline Carsten

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Carsten
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2012, 11:07:06 AM »
Amen to that and I must apologise.  I didnt put two and two together and introduce myself. 

Offline Greencan

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2012, 02:56:32 PM »
Arvo All...

Thanks Chaps, tis gratefully appreciated :thumb

Failed to mention in the last post to thank me-neighbor-over-the-fence for both maintaining the vigil and mowing the lawn on our place while we're away, Thank You Adam...I will make it worth your while :beer

Well the 1000km has been and went on my unofficial Black Dog Ride after this mornings ride :grin...now only 1237km left :( before we head home sometime in October or when when my scouts can reassure us that southern Victoria is seeing at least 4 consecutive days of sunshine :wink1...that Corbin is going to feel soooooo good :p

Hooroo, the can :)

Offline Aj1300

• aj1300
  • KTm
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2012, 08:20:53 PM »
I had fun mowing the big ST in your lawn :nahnah :rofl :rofl :blk13
Adam aj1300/ KTM

Offline Smokeguy

• Bob
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2012, 08:11:07 AM »
Damn = Hey Terry, were you at Marrs Bakery in Morgan with a few fellow riders and a good looking guy commented on how great your bike was. Then showed you a pic of his  :blu13 :). ??
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.

Offline temala

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2012, 08:25:34 AM »
Yep, that was me ... just can't remember the good looking guy :thumb
I can remember the nice pastie and the photo.
Amazing who you meet when you least expect it. :rd13
Temala
Red 2003 ST1300A

Offline Greencan

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
unofficial Black Dog (pushbike), Ride...ends
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2012, 03:20:36 PM »
Arvo All...

Well have eventually run out of our time in the red Centre and thus decided to end my unofficial Black Dog (pushbike), Ride :p.

The original (and granted over ambitious plan), was to cycle an equivalent distance from here to home in Victoria, 2,237km; however sleep still often evades moi and we had no ‘Spring’ here this year, one week it was Winter the next Summer with the average temps here over September in the mid to high 30’s, so getting within a bull’s roar of the 250km per week needed soon fell by the wayside. Good thing I only sponsored myself for $100 hey :wink1!

So in the 10 weeks managed to cycle...

1,602Km total distance

It took 62 hours 35 minutes

Longest single trip 62.2km

Best week 218km

Best single ride 53.4km, 1hr 57min, average speed 27.4kph.

Anyway as I pen this diatribe have cleaned and packed the treadly away as we’re outta here first thing on Monday and have some serious footie watching to undertake with a few Mates over the weekend :beer and next weekend plan to be at Tarnagulla for Golden Dragon Rally on the self-propelled STeed, maybe see one or two other ST owners there :thumbsup.

Hooroo and Ciao, the can :)