Author Topic: clutch slave cylinder help please  (Read 3289 times)

Offline jf3000

• One Armed Bandit.
clutch slave cylinder help please
« on: May 12, 2014, 12:59:33 PM »
I need a clutch slave cylinder can someone give me some advice please. The part at the top I've replaced the fluid twice. So it must be going somewhere.

Thanks.

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
Re: clutch slave cylinder help please
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 01:25:02 PM »
The slave cylinder sits on the front of bike behind the radiator. Before panicking about a replacement, remove your fairings and get it for a good look. You may need to get some degreaser to clean around the area, and hose the muck out. No need to pull the radiator.

Look around the banjo bolt (check that it is tight) where the clutch line connects to the slave cylinder, and the bleed screw(check it is tight also). Is there any sign of fluid leaking. open the bleed screw, and check for the colour of fluid coming out, ( get a bleed kit from an auto store if you dont have one) is there any sign of air bubbles.

If all is good here, unbolt and remove slave cylinder (not sure how hard this is to do) and check for fluid around the piston area. If there is, you will need to open up the slave cylinder to inspect the seals and bore. if the bore is good, you may be able to get a seal kit then put it all back together refill the fluid.

I'm not sure, but you may need to do an oil change as well, as I thing any leaking fluid may go into the sump, contaminating the oil.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline jf3000

• One Armed Bandit.
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 01:47:59 PM »
Behind radiator? How is this possible?

Offline pault

• ST
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 01:55:43 PM »
at the bottom the bottom of the slave on the outside there is a little opening. if there is a bit of a dark smudge there, on the clutch cover, then your slave is leaking. You might have to undo the exhaust and lever it aside to get the slave out. If it is covered in some sort of fungus looking stuff. replace the hole thing. It is not too expensive when compared to piston and seals.I forget $'s. You do not mention km's, I have done this twice at around 200 plus k's.
Bleeding can be task. Often just slowly pumping the master will get rid of a lot of "top" air.

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 01:57:02 PM »
OK, I should have said radiator guard, on the lower front of the engine, it should be easy enough to see
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Turtle

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 04:05:55 PM »
I think we are looking at the 1300 not the 1100 Brock and Paul

Turtle