Author Topic: Thermostat price and where to order?  (Read 2195 times)

Offline zevk

• ST1300ABS
Thermostat price and where to order?
« on: December 28, 2012, 10:31:57 PM »
Anyone know where to order a thermostat for the ST1300? aprox cost?

thanks

Zec
Zev

Offline STeveo

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • ST Legend

Offline zevk

• ST1300ABS
Thermostat replaced today
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 09:10:49 PM »
Well... I had a free day, so Thermostat, o-ring, washers replaced.

I ordered t-stat from Honda Ringwood $72.00 (!) I could have saved $25 if ordered from USA but didnt want to wait...

My bike has 49k on the clock and the coolant should have been flushed and filled at 38,400 km as per service manual, but has never been preformed by Honda dealers!
This, despite the previous owner maintaining all service schedules, using same Honda dealer since new, with records and dates meticulously….!
This is why Honda dealers should not be trusted with servicing, they often cut corners.  :cuss  at least if you pay for servicing you should verify procedures have been completed in writing.

A few of the worm hose clamps were a bit loose, but no leaks detected pre and post installation. :thumbs

The T-stat was not corroded and reacted on testing with boiling water but I replaced with a new one as the bike is now 8 years old.

The infamous, black paint overspray was aparant on the upper radiator hose connection and I scoured it off.

The coolant reservoir had some dirt and film in the very bottom and that came clean with a few good shakes and water flush.

It was easy to remove the 2, 10mm  cylinder block drain screws with a ring spanner to flush and drain the block.
Getting them back in was not so easy...the exhaust headers interfere with the alignment and some carefull aiming was required to get the thread square and started, damn architect design engineers..  :spank

3 bars and steady, fans cycle on and off as they should.

All up, it took about 3.5 hours, start to finnish without rushing. Will go for a ride when next available, to see if fuel consumption improves any...

I would recomend this procedure to anyone with a bike over 3-4 years just for peace of mine, regardless of kms, and then maintain coolant flush and fill once a year or earlier if you do 38k

Zev

Offline Down Under

Re: Thermostat price and where to order?
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 12:12:08 PM »

I've got a new thermostat and o-ring sitting in the garage.  My 08 bike has 60k on it and I was contemplating doing some preventative maintenance myself.  When I got into the cooling system it was as clean as a whistle, no leaks or signs of overspray.  I flushed the system, new coolant and have left it alone.

I'm not too concerned about thermostat failure, if it happens the thermostat will fail open and besides excessive fuel consumption will unlikely leave me stranded on the side of the road.  I guess it's good to get it done but the original could last the life of the bike. 

Offline rally

• Rally
Re: Thermostat price and where to order?
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 01:57:17 PM »
 :rd13
Small problem, thermostat on my 1300 jammed open at about 130000 klms causing cool running, had it replaced by my MOTORBIKE MECHANIC at a the next big service where the plastics were removed, now perfect again was really cheap when incorporated in a normal big service.  Only other thing I had to replace was the steering head beariings at about 45000 klms. Now 150k running PERFECT.

Rally
Rally