Author Topic: stuck air box screws extracted to free up idle speed screw  (Read 2241 times)

Offline zevk

• ST1300ABS
stuck air box screws extracted to free up idle speed screw
« on: February 04, 2013, 06:43:15 AM »
After replacing my ST1300 fork oil, I got round to removing the seized screws that hold the air box to the throttle bodies.
I removed the tank pivot bolt, seat adjuster and tank saftey cable and very gently and carefully secured the tank almost vertically, removed the air filter cover, filter and snorkels.(good idea to mark them in cylinder order, with a white out pen, as well as alignment dots on the air box itself)

The 8 (JIS head, 5mm) bolts that hold the air box to the throttle body, were seized, but I removed 4 of them, with VERSA, JIS impact screwdriver.
 4 that were not budging, I used a very clever extractor called "grabbit"

http://prograbit.com/Pages/grabitPro.php

it looks like a cordless drill bit. It has a LEFT hand drill bit with shelf stop on one side, then flip the bit over, it has the correct size screw extractor bit the other side.
into a cordless drill, Left - couterclockwise, slow drilling and within 10 seconds, it grabs the stubborn bolt out!

Dont forget to block the throttle bores gently with clean rags, to protect metalic shards and mishaps...

I replaced all 8 bolts with Alan, 5mm x 20mm, added flat washers, lock washers and anti-seize paste on the threads.

A three second spray of WD40 onto the idle speed assembly left side of throttle bodies, (just follow the adjuster cable to the pivot assembly, near piston #1) and what has been a very stuck, immobile idle screw, now moves freely and can be easily adjusted.

2 hours work all up. Just need to remember to rotate the idle screw a bit every month or so, to prevent it from getting stuck again!

hope this is usefull for anyone with same issue.

good luck
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 09:43:29 PM by zevk »
Zev