Author Topic: 2021-08-29 One Hundred And Fifty Thousand Smackeroonies  (Read 1065 times)

2021-08-29 One Hundred And Fifty Thousand Smackeroonies
« on: August 29, 2021, 05:37:49 PM »
With the wheelbarrow less than a tank of fuel from another kilometrestone and not wanting to do it on the daily commute this morning I opened google and had a look at somewhere I hadn't been to for a while to achieve it.  As usual one left in the dark.

I was at Black Springs at sunrise.

This sign has changed since I was last here.  Actually, the District Council of Goyder has put this type of sign on all of its townships.

I've got heaps of photos of the copper mine's chimney but this is the first time I've taken notice of the sculpture on top.

Likewise I have a tonne of photos of the big blade at Mount Bryan but what the hell, here's another.

I was going to put this in the Strange Letterboxes thread but since there's no steed in front of it it can go in this report instead.

Who says I don't go to church on sunday?  This was in Whyte Yarcowie too.  It's the first time I have ventured off the Barrier Highway here.

Some day I'll return to Terowie.  It was today.  This motel had no cars in the yard so I guess covid has shut it down.  The artwork along the front depicted movie scenes and cinema stuff.  This was one of a few photos I took.

That was where I screwed up.  I'd planned to go to Peterborough via Ucolta so I'd be in town when the Versys clocked up 150'000 but fell short by taking the road from Terowie and not realizing until it was too late.  This dog out the front of the station reminds me of the Hachikō one outside the front to Shibuya station in Tōkyō.

I didn't know Peterbourgh also once had a German name.  I wonder who makes these signs because it looks identical the ones at Verdun, Birdswood and Cambrai so i am guessing it's not local councils.  I also snapped three big things here.  Two of them I knew were there because they had been posted the Big Things thread, although I still had to find them.  The third was posted in the Where Is This thread I think.

The wrong turn meant I was in Minlavara when I clocked up the milestone I set out to do.  Maybe it was a good thing because there's nothing of note in Minlavara and this means I have something memorable to take from there.

Visits to Black Rock have generally meant Magnetic Hill but today I checked out the station (well, what's left of it) for the first time.

Likewise the big gum tree at Orroroo.

Now what was I saying about church?  This was at Morchard.

And at Willowie.

This dog ran out to greet me in Willowie.

Not for the first time I stopped at this rocket in Wilmington.

I did Horrocks Pass before heading home via the Augusta Highway and Wakefield Highway.  As usual I stopped in Inkerman as it's between point to point speed camera.  Roadworks would have made average times useless anyway, but I wasn't to know that.  I think I'll be skipping that road on the Quorn RTE.

Oh would you look, it's a Massey Ferguson.  It won't mean much to most people here but to a few people it is has some significance.

Those of you who read my Taswegian Odyssey ride reports would know I took a liking to Betta Milks lime flavored milk.  A friend here knew I lamented not being able to buy it here so when a facebook post by On The Runs said for a short time they are selling a lime spider flavored milk by Oak she tagged me in the post.  They're also selling it two for $5 so I've bought a couple on three separate occasions now.  It my my last stop of the day.

Only a paltry 656 kilometres for the day.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 03:07:58 PM by Bodø »

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Nigel, Jdbiker, ruSTynutz

Bodø

Re: 2021-08-29 One Hundred And Fifty Thousand Smackeroonies
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2021, 05:46:26 PM »
The reason that the Browns Well 'Highway' has (or had, I think it is back up to 110 now) a 100kph speed limit is because it was deemed to narrow to be safe with road trains on it. They have done the shoulders and widened it a little over the last few months and it is supposedly now 'safe'.

I took this on board for today's ride, but the roads I rode from Burra to Wilmington for the most part were 110km and the roads weren't any wider than the Browns Well Highway was for this trip.

Offline STeveo

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2021, 05:49:01 PM »
Thanks for the photos. Those Massey combines/seeders weren't much good around here and very few were sold in this area. Ironically, the Shearer combines made in Kilkenny. SA were a much better machine and a lot are still in use today.

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
    • "Destined to Drive" Driving School
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2021, 06:48:27 PM »
Oh would you look, it's a Massey Ferguson.  It won't mean much to most people here but to a few people it is has some significance.

The name has some significance to me as it brings back memories of my brother as a little tacker running our old grey Fergy into a large post where it then proceeded to ride up it before stalling.  :rofl

2005 Honda ST1300A

Offline Shillas

• SA NatRally 2022
  • Better Red than Dead
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2021, 09:30:02 AM »
Thanks for the photos. Those Massey combines/seeders weren't much good around here and very few were sold in this area. Ironically, the Shearer combines made in Kilkenny. SA were a much better machine and a lot are still in use today.

You'll need to come to the National Rally.

Shearer's were based in Mannum before being bought out by Horwood Bagshaw, another ag machinery company. They were bought out recently themselves.

A bit outdated article here - http://www.murrayriver.com.au/stories/david-shearer-limited-and-the-australian-farmer-16/

More history about Shearer here and his steam car: http://www.psmarion.com/shearer-motor-car/ and his cottage is now a B&B.

Shillas :13Candy

CB 125 - long gone
RD 200 - long gone
CB 250T - long gone
XJ 650 - reasonably long gone
XV 750 - reasonably long gone
VN 800 - gone
ST 1100 - recently gone
ST 1300 - In the garage

The following users thanked this post: STeveo

Offline STeveo

• ST Legend
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2021, 04:37:46 PM »
I spent many, many hours looking at the white sticker on the front of our combine where it said Shearers were made in Kilkenny. We also had a disc plough, scarifier, wideline cultivator and harrow sets from Shearer, but the harvesters never got a look in in our area, mainly Massey, Deutz and International.