Author Topic: Dissecting a Honda oil filter after 5k  (Read 1973 times)

Offline zevk

• ST1300ABS
Dissecting a Honda oil filter after 5k
« on: September 12, 2014, 08:24:12 PM »
I was curious to see how dirty the Honda OEM oil filter would be after 5k.     :think1

No metal or ferrous bits noted or picked up with a magnet and the oil was a dark honey color so I was happy with that.  :thumbsup

I always replace motorcycle engine oil at 5k and not 10k, as bike engines run hotter with more variable revs than car engines.
Honda oil kit 4L HP4 oil, filter and crush washer ($80.00) + 20 min work is worth the expense and effort, for me.

I always use original Honda HP4 Synthetic and original Honda oil filter.

The bike is ST1300A, 2006 with 60,000 km   
Zev

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
Re: Dissecting a Honda oil filter after 5k
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 09:11:37 PM »
On an aircooled bike, the engine may get hotter, but these bike are water cooled, so get no hotter than a car. At 3500 RPM at 110 Ks, the engine is hardly reving high.

At 10000Ks my oil was still translucent, darker than when it went in but that is normal. Next oil change, (in 6 months or so) I will keep the oil filter (a Repco one) and open it up for a look.

A test for dirty oil, is to put a drop on your hand, and rub it in with your finger. If the oil is dirty, you will have a black dirty mark left. Clean (but discoloured ) oil  will leave only a slight shiney spot that may be a little dark. You will know if its dirty. 

Dont forget to wash your hands before getting that beer, the cook wont like an oily fridge door.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania
Re: Dissecting a Honda oil filter after 5k
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 11:07:23 PM »
I guess if you're happy to change your oil and filter at 5000kms that's up to you, but I don't think it's really necessary......Honda themselves recommend changing every 12,000kms, and that's good enough for me. I never skimp on using what I consider to be the best oil and filter, but I don't believe it's necessary to change at 5000kms, as Brock mentioned these bikes don't run hot, and certainly don't rev high, at least mine doesn't...........but if you're happy doing it, then go for it, it certainly isn't going to do the bike any harm!

I do exactly the same with our cars, change every 10,000kms, never less, and I've never had a problem caused by doing so! :grin
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!